• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

anyone bake frozen bread dough?

Grumpy's Gal

DIS Veteran
OK, it sounds like a good idea -- to keep the already made frozen bread dough in the freezer for the winter and make hot, "homemade" bread when I can. Has anyone had good luck with this frozen bread dough? Any suggestions? tips?

Thanks!

I use frozen bread dough to make focaccia bread -- yummm!! Let it thaw overnight in the fridge... then roll it out and lay it on a pizza stone (Pampered Chef, of course! LOL). Take olive oil, add a clove of fresh pressed garlic and some italian seasoning. Spread that over the whole thing. Then top with chopped onions and sliced olives (and thinly sliced tomatoes if desired). Bake at 425 for about 15 min... depends on how thin you roll the dough.

I think I did make a plain bread once with it, and it turned out fine as well. Once it thaws, it's just like fresh made bread dough.

after it thaws and you let it rise in the bread pan......you would never know it had been frozen before.....it is delicious and I LOVE IT.......I also use it to make Guilettes.......little dough that rises in the fry pan with a little oil and let it cook slowly and rise slowly and then flip over and do it again......then break them open and butter them and dunk in my tea........tea with milk and sugar of course....it is delicious :cool1:
but I cant' eat that anymore so I will let out a big big sigh~~~~~~~~

bubbasmom99 said:
I use frozen bread dough to make focaccia bread -- yummm!! Let it thaw overnight in the fridge... then roll it out and lay it on a pizza stone (Pampered Chef, of course! LOL). Take olive oil, add a clove of fresh pressed garlic and some italian seasoning. Spread that over the whole thing. Then top with chopped onions and sliced olives (and thinly sliced tomatoes if desired). Bake at 425 for about 15 min... depends on how thin you roll the dough.

I think I did make a plain bread once with it, and it turned out fine as well. Once it thaws, it's just like fresh made bread dough.

and I just happen to have a pampered chef pizza stone........ :cool1:

Just don't stock up on too much and give yourself the necessary time to thaw it.

It supposedly will work from the frozen state, but that never worked for me. And my mom was an incurable "stocker" - but her inventory control had much to be desired. If the dough "gets old" it will NOT rise properly and you end up with a doorstop instead of something edible. Mom had lots of wonderful talents and qualities - cooking in any form was NOT one of them! :rotfl:

Deb

Kind of off topic but on topic...funny story
I came from a huge line of bread makers. Grandma could make it without even measuring..Yummy every time!
My AUnt Nancy always had fantastic bread. My dad would always tell my mom not as good as Nancy's etc....
So one year Aunt Nancy was visiting and my dad asked her to bake bread...She says sure...
well she pulls my mom aside and said they needed to run to the store...she goes in gets Rich's frozen bread dough!
COmes home...puts it in the oven to rise...forgot about it. It got so big it almost covered the oven....Dad comes home before they do. Sees the mess and realizes Aunt Nancy's yummy bread was from the store! HAHAHHAH It was a hoot! :rotfl: :teeth: :rotfl:
SO try Riches brand bread!

:rotfl: :rotfl: oh my gosh...that is hysterical :rotfl: :rotfl:

I use the frozen bread dough two ways.

Pepperoni Rolls.

Thaw the bread as per package instructions. Do not allow to rise (if it rises a little don't fret about it) Divide in Two or four

Roll it out as thin as you can, this is tough as this is very elastic bread dough. Lay a layer of pepperoni on the whole thing, except for about 1 inch of the edge. Sprinkle mozerella cheese on top, lightly. Roll up like a jelly roll and pinch closed. Place the seam side down on a cookie sheet lined with foil and sprayed with Pam. Spray the top of your bread dough lightly with the Pam also. Then sprinkle garlic pwd, a little salt and a little pepper. Bake at 450 degrees for about 20 minutes or so. If it browns to quickly put a piece of foil over it. It may take a little longer depending on thin you rolled the dough and how much ingredients you put in. When you remove them from the oven serve them hot with marinara or allow them to cool a little while and then wrap up securely in foil and serve later or pack them for a picnic lunch.

When I divide it into four or more and make mini ones we take them on trips in the car, or pack them in lunches.

Another version

Thaw, divide in two. Roll out thin but not to thin about 1/4 inch thick (12x14 ish)

Lay your favorite ingredients in the center such as...salami, ham, capicola, pepperoni, cheese, tomatoes, mild peppers and onion. Fold each end in about an inch, then fold the sides in so they overlap about an inch or two. Seal well, spray with pam, bake on a foil lined cookie sheet sprayed with pam. Sprinkle again with garlic pwd, salt and pepper. Bake about 30 minutes or until golden brown. Slice and serve.....oh boy is this good stuff!

Other optional ingredients I have done.....ham and cheese.....or rueben style, corned beef, swiss and well drained saurkraut......salami, cheese and a little spaghetti sauce....you name it you can stuff it with that!

Or if you live by a local pizza place that will sell you dough, buy it and use it for the these recipes.....its easier to roll and you don't have to worry about thaw time, just be sure to ask for uncooked dough...:)

go on the bridgeford dough web site
http://www.bridgford.com/consumer/default.htm

they have tons of great recipes. the rolls you make the night befoe and defrost and let rise in the oven are the best on thanksgiving morning..

my short version:

use the rolls, cut in 1/2 while frozen (yes it is hard to do), dip in melted butter then roll in cinnamon sugar, place in bundt pan. store in oven overnight, in morning take out-preheat and bake..yummy!! you can add chopped pecan if you kids aren't picky.

i also love the rolls to make garlic rolls..light and fluffy and delicious!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter