Anyone booking with DVC points ever receive a complimentary upgrade?

Terry in NJ

Mouseketeer
I was just informed by DVC that if you booked the cruise through them you NEVER receive a complimentary upgrade.
That's ok if that's the way it is... however....
can't help hoping for a little pixie dust! (I had to fax DCL some info last week, and I mentioned this was our 10th cruise and the first on Disney.)
If you DID receive an upgrade, can you tell me how recent it was?
Thanks so much... sailing 2-16 on the Magic! :D
Terry

We're sailing June 29 on points, so I'm anxious to hear the answer to this as well.
How many points does it take for a week cruise?
We booked a Category 6 and Category 11 for June for 726 points which I believe is regular season.

I don't know the answer to the upgrade question, but if I were to guess, I would say that DVC members are probably in the same boat (so to speak) as everyone else. Free upgrades are rare, and since only a fraction of people on the cruise are there on DVC points, free upgrades to them are even more rare. I would imagine that DCL doesn't have a "DVC members don't get upgrades" policy, but since upgrades are very rare, I don't think DCL or DVC will ever say that a free upgrade is a possibility. Also, there is somewhat of a consensus that free upgrades will NOT happen if you actually ASK for one.

On the question about points for a cruise, I posted this 2002 sampling on the DVC board the other day:

Value Season 3-day (Non-holiday winter and Fall) total points for 2 people:

Cat 4: 278
Cat 5: 228
Cat 6: 214
Cat 7: 202
Cat 8: 188
Cat 9: 176
Cat 10: 150
Cat 11: 136

Regular Season 3-day (everything else except Easter, Thanksgiving & Christmas):
4: 330
5: 278
6: 266
7: 252
8: 228
9: 214
10: 188
11: 176

Value 4 day:
4: 304
5: 252
6: 240
7: 228
8: 214
9: 202
10: 176
11: 162

Value 7 day (Eastern Carib)
4: 474
5: 396
6: 370
7: 344
8: 318
9: 304
10: 266
11: 252

On our 1st cruise (Nov 1998) we booked 3 rooms for ourselves and our 2 married children and their families. We booked a category 3 suite for us with cash and 2 category 4 family suites with DVC points. We received an upgrade to a category 1 on our reservation and the kids remained in their category 4 rooms.

As was stated before, complimentary upgrade are a rare occasion for all passengers.

In my 3 years here, I have seen a few DVCer get bumped up.

We booked our first cruise on DCL with points. We were suppose to cruise in May I believe of 98(?). I believe the original inagural
cruise was suppose to be in March(?)...well, anyway, we got bumped from our cruise because the ship was not ready to sail.

I re-booked for June (1999??) and a few weeks before our cruise we got a call from DVC saying we had been upgraded from an
inside cabin to a deluxe oceanview cabin.

Now, we were never told the reason we were upgraded. However, we felt it was because we were bumped from our
original cruise. We also had a great friend at DVC who could
have had a hand in the upgrade..but he never confessed!!
So, therefore, we will never know.

I know this doesn't answer your questions, but once upon a time....long, long ago...it did happen!!!!!!!!

Phyllis

:cool:

We were on the 12/8/01 Magic. We had booked a Cat. 8 with points (281 points with the fall special) -- we were bumped up to a cat. 7 (navigator's verandah). I simply smiled and asked nicely around 12:15 p.m. (right before embarkation began). They said usually it costs $358 -- but, the nice supervisor said "Happy Holidays" and bumped us up.

Just like that.

It was the start of the best vacation we ever had!

And, the verandah was wonderful!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter