Anyone Christmas shopping yet... continued...

We are the very last road that the UPS man delivers too for his territory. All year long he is usually in my neighborhood around 4 pm and has a 50 mile road trip back home. During the Christmas Season, it is always around 6-7 pm. We chat sometimes and I asked him his biggest frustration and he said, lack of properly displayed house numbers. Townships and country homes have the nice fire numbers displayed out by the road, but people in villages and cities forget to properly display their numbers, or decorate around the numbers or just bad lighting and he struggles to read numbers. I apologize if this is not why your packages are being lost, but take a look at your home address numbers and see if they are properly displayed. Also, the pole that had the name our road was bent and displaying the wrong name with the other street. Someone in our neighborhood called and got it straightened out.

I live on a busy 4-lane street in the middle of a large city, right off a freeway. You name the street, and everyone knows where it is. 80 year old house, never changed addresses. VERY clearly labeled, in large letters, in clear view - no trees or anything blocking it. Street light right out in front, although deliveries - when they happen - never happen after dark.

The problem isn't my house - it is UPS. The packages aren't lost (usually), they are not delivered due to completely made up excuses. When they said my package wasn't deliverable this Monday because "the business was closed", they hadn't even loaded it onto a truck for delivery before they flagged it that way. They were just running short of staff or something and didn't want to deliver it. Which I wouldn't have an issue with - IF they told the truth instead of making up fake excuses to keep their numbers looking good. My last 3 packages weren't delivered by them on time because (1) they claimed my address was an "incorrect street number" (again, it's an 80 year old house on a main street), and then they followed it several other handling errors that caused additional delays in delivery on what was supposed to be next-day delivery service, (2) they said my dog was in my yard - problem there is **I DON'T HAVE A DOG** and my front yard isn't fenced to hold one if I did, and (3) the "business was closed" thing. And I have lots and lots more examples over the last few years and this isn't a thing that happens just during the busy season.

I don't think all UPS delivery centers are bad, just ours. Just like some people have awful post offices/postal carriers, when mine are great. But just because mine is good doesn't mean I think any issues someone has with theirs is their own fault...

Last edited:
I live on a busy 4-lane street in the middle of a large city, right off a freeway. You name the street, and everyone knows where it is. 80 year old house, never changed addresses. VERY clearly labeled, in large letters, in clear view - no trees or anything blocking it. Street light right out in front, although deliveries - when they happen - never happen after dark.

The problem isn't my house - it is UPS. The packages aren't lost (usually), they are not delivered due to completely made up excuses. When they said my package wasn't deliverable this Monday because "the business was closed", they hadn't even loaded it onto a truck for delivery before they flagged it that way. They were just running short of staff or something and didn't want to deliver it. Which I wouldn't have an issue with - IF they told the truth instead of making up fake excuses to keep their numbers looking good. My last 3 packages weren't delivered by them on time because (1) they claimed my address was an "incorrect street number" (again, it's an 80 year old house on a main street), and then they followed it several other handling errors that caused additional delays in delivery on what was supposed to be next-day delivery service, (2) they said my dog was in my yard - problem there is **I DON'T HAVE A DOG** and my front yard isn't fenced to hold one if I did, and (3) the "business was closed" thing. And I have lots and lots more examples over the last few years and this isn't a thing that happens just during the busy season.

I don't think all UPS delivery centers are bad, just ours. Just like some people have awful post offices/postal carriers, when mine are great. But just because mine is good doesn't mean I think any issues someone has with theirs is their own fault...
Wow, how do you find out the excuses they use.
What I don't understand is why the UPS will be the carrier, then drop it off at our post office. UPS must have some kind of policy that if they have too many deliveries, they can drop off packages at the post office. We have a post office out in the middle of no where and they will sit on packages 2-3 days and wait till they have room in the vehicle. They use their personal cars to deliver our mail, and if it don't fit, it is not sent out that day.

Wow, how do you find out the excuses they use.
What I don't understand is why the UPS will be the carrier, then drop it off at our post office. UPS must have some kind of policy that if they have too many deliveries, they can drop off packages at the post office. We have a post office out in the middle of no where and they will sit on packages 2-3 days and wait till they have room in the vehicle. They use their personal cars to deliver our mail, and if it don't fit, it is not sent out that day.
UPS and Fedex both have a shipping method that a lot of retailers use that they handle getting the package from the distribution center to the delivery city but then USPS actually delivers the package. For fedex it’s called FedEx smartpost.

I've bought quite a few gifts from Kohls over the last few weeks. A cuddl duds fleece sheet set for my SIL/her husband, plus a cuddl duds throw blanket for her husband. Some small holiday throw blankets as gifts for people at work. I feel like there's more i'm missing. I've also bought a disney coffee cup for my best friend and her husband, but i still need to get gifts for her kids. Still need to find something else for my SIL, BIL/his husband, get a giftcard for my MIL, and find something for my FIL. My dad is mostly done and I still need to get something for my mom. All in all not too bad.

Well I've been a busy bee the past few days! I just bought myself new dinnerware this weekend and I'm pretty excited about that. We've been using the same inherited stoneware (think beige with peach flowers!) and random strays that have been collected for almost 20 years. They are finally showing their age with a few chips here and there and my collection is not very "adult" looking. LOL! :P

I picked up the 1TB Playstation 4 Spiderman bundle from Target as the Black Friday price is the same as their 4 day Pre BF sale. That's my boys "big" gift. Got my daughter the LOL Surprise Outfit Of the day with the Target App one day deal and 25% off one toy ($21) , An Our Generation Doll With the 25% off one toy coupon, plus one day deal ($11 and change) and today their one day deal is for Bayblade, which my ds6 is starting to show interest in, so I got one of the arenas with 2 Beyblades for about $21. I bought my baby niece a Fisher Price Sooth and Glow Seahorse for $12 from Buy Buy Baby with the 20% off coupon. I still have to buy her stocking from Pottery Barn Kids. It's a tradition in our family, my sister and I take turns buying for the nieces and nephews.

Off to a decent start and I'm confident I'll find some more mega deals. Still have 1 niece, 2 nephews, my grandmother, in laws and my mom to buy for, plus finishing off my own brood and something for the spouse. I'm considering the dinnerware my gift, as it was not cheap! #Momlife

Take that Kohls Cash!! I had $25 in Kohls cash and I just bough 4 Baby Girl Carter's sleepers on sale for 6.99 each. I used 15% off and I had a remaining balance of $2. in Kohls cash.
I am on my way home to pick them up, I will walk in and walk out and not spend any more money. That is the whole point of Kohls cash, to get you on to their website or into their store to spend more money/
Sort of felt like a small win today.

I have 18 of the 20 people on my list done. So, so close. I always start early and try to grab items on sale as I see them. The BJ's Disney gift card deal took care of 3 of the nieces/nephew so that was nice.

I'm proud of myself so far - we're into the heavy sale period, and so far I've only added 3 things to DD18s haul. A new pair of Converse (which I would have had to buy her soon anyway - but hey, now it's a present!), a Hot Tools curling iron she wanted that I got a really good deal on (just $6 after a 20% coupon and $20 Amazon courtesy credit I had), and a face mask for her stocking (free with Kohl's Cash I earned during the Veteran's Day sale). I'm going to also try to grab her a flannel shirt at Kohl's but it's a door buster so it's not available yet. I have $5 KC to use on it, which should make it less than $5 with tax, IF they still have it in stock when the sale goes live.

Oh yeah - and there was that Architectural Digest subscription for $4. That wasn't originally planned, so I guess it's 4 things I've added so far.

Oh wait - I picked up a 128GB SD card for her stocking too, so make it 5.

Hmm....maybe I'm not doing as good as I thought I was....

But last year during the danger-zone timeframe of Black Friday to Cyber Monday I impulse bought DD a $550 camera and lens set (which has been worth every penny and more), a camera bag to go with the camera, and a new tablet that could connect to the camera so she could review the photos better. It wasn't my finest hour budgeting wise :rotfl2:So in comparison I'm doing much better this year :cool:

Last edited:
OP here...

I went shopping with my neighbor this week.

We hit Pier One, she had to return something, I found a new fall wreath for my front door which is a good thing the other one has had it. It was marked down then additional 20 percent off... and I had a old Pier One gift card with a couple of dollars - Out the door at 23.00... It was around 60.00 to start with...

Kirkland's I struck out, I could have done alot of damage for home items.. but I was sticking to Christmas shopping...

Home Goods - I found a Marvel throw/blanket for my Grandson's room at my house, this is not a gift he need a blanket for his bed. I also got a write on wipe off word book for 5.99 that was at B.A.M for 14.00 this is a gift.

Marshall - I did pick up 2 items, a sleep mask and a fluffy head band for DD for her stocking...

Target - I finally picked up this game for my grandson (3 yrs) Shark bites it was on line at Target for almost 5 dollars cheaper, and they price matched it so YAY... target cart wheels and price matching I have been picking up several items at really good price.

Dollar Tree- I picked up boxes, gift bags, tissue, tape and wrapping paper...

This weekend or Monday - I have to pull everything out and start sorting to see what I have, and start revamp my list....

Happy Thanksgiving, and Happy Shopping to all....

well i've got to make a return already. one of the 'kids' had asked for some ps4 games b/c they were saving for a ps4. the thing was-we caught wind of walmart's pre black friday on-line sale this week so i offered to sit at the computer at the stroke of midnight (thankfully east coast time so only 9 for me:thumbsup2) and try to snagged it. GOT IT-$100 less than regular price and it came bundled with a game.................one of the games i had already bought so i'll be off to target in the next week or so to do the return.

Oh just wait until Amazon starts delivering to you using their own in house delivery service. I've had 3 packages delivered by them so far. None have arrived on time. First was out for delivery. Then around 7 pm it returned to the hub. It was finally delivered 2 days later. Similar issue with 2nd package.

3rd was a day late, but the kicker is that there was no tracking anything as of that morning. The delivery guy delivered it but marked it as 'handed to resident.' I was not handed it. I didn't even know to look for it that day. The reason the driver marked it as such is that if they drop it off, they have to take a picture and post where it is on your property. He didn't want to do that. He doesn't have to take a picture if he 'handed' it.

Oh just wait until Amazon starts delivering to you using their own in house delivery service. I've had 3 packages delivered by them so far. None have arrived on time. First was out for delivery. Then around 7 pm it returned to the hub. It was finally delivered 2 days later. Similar issue with 2nd package.

We were one of the first areas AMZL (Amazon Logistics) started up in. I've been dealing with them for quite awhile now. They were awful at first, but seem to have gotten a bit better lately. Most of my problems with late deliveries from them were actually due to the warehouse not getting the package turned over to them in time. I suspect for awhile they sort of held the AMZL packages to last thinking they had more leeway with their own delivery company to hold things up - but eventually even the AMZL trucks need to leave, so the packages not ready to go were left behind for the next day. That seemed to happen a lot last year. I haven't had that problem the last few months but we'll have to wait and see what the busy season holds this year.

The biggest problem I have with AMZL is they leave the boxes on my front doorstep most of the time, and since I live on a busy street that's a recipe for package theft. I have a big ole sign on my front door (72pt font LOL) telling all the services where to leave the packages where they are safe but half the time AMZL guys don't read it. Luckily most of their deliveries seem to get to me in the evening when I am home these days and the app is pretty good at alerting me that the package is there so I can run and get it before anyone else does.

3rd was a day late, but the kicker is that there was no tracking anything as of that morning. The delivery guy delivered it but marked it as 'handed to resident.' I was not handed it. I didn't even know to look for it that day. The reason the driver marked it as such is that if they drop it off, they have to take a picture and post where it is on your property. He didn't want to do that. He doesn't have to take a picture if he 'handed' it.

Well, I guess AMZL drivers must be playing the same games as all the other services then. That picture is valuable - one time they delivered a package to my neighbor's house, not mine. But I recognized from the picture what had happened and was able to go get it!

Last edited:
We were one of the first areas AMZL (Amazon Logistics) started up in. I've been dealing with them for quite awhile now. They were awful at first, but seem to have gotten a bit better lately. Most of my problems with late deliveries from them were actually due to the warehouse not getting the package turned over to them in time. I suspect for awhile they sort of held the AMZL packages to last thinking they had more leeway with their own delivery company to hold things up - but eventually even the AMZL trucks need to leave, so the packages not ready to go were left behind for the next day. That seemed to happen a lot last year. I haven't had that problem the last few months but we'll have to wait and see what the busy season holds this year.

The biggest problem I have with AMZL is they leave the boxes on my front doorstep most of the time, and since I live on a busy street that's a recipe for package theft. I have a big ole sign on my front door (72pt font LOL) telling all the services where to leave the packages where they are safe but half the time AMZL guys don't read it. Luckily most of their deliveries seem to get to me in the evening when I am home these days and the app is pretty good at alerting me that the package is there so I can run and get it before anyone else does.
If amazon is delivering it themselves you can leave instruction notes directly through amazon app.

If amazon is delivering it themselves you can leave instruction notes directly through amazon app.

Yeah, I've put directions there too. But they don't read them either. (ETA: I think Amazon used to have a free text field for this, because I know I tried it. But now it's a picklist and none of the options match what I need.)

I've even contacted the AMZL customer service, and they put a standing "must knock" direction for the drivers (because of the misdelivery to my neighbor's house). They don't do that either.

But as I said, all in all AMZL has gotten better these days although I still cringe a little when I see that they are delivering the package. But not as much as UPS!

Last edited:
Yeah, I've put directions there too. But they don't read them either.

I've even contacted the AMZL customer service, and they put a standing "must knock" direction for the drivers (because of the misdelivery to my neighbor's house). They don't do that either.
That sucks. If you frequently order form amazon, have you ever had it sent to a locker? I do that with about half my amazon stuff so I don’t have to worry about to sitting on my porch if no one is home for several hours to bring it in.

That sucks. If you frequently order form amazon, have you ever had it sent to a locker? I do that with about half my amazon stuff so I don’t have to worry about to sitting on my porch if no one is home for several hours to bring it in.

No lockers are really near me yet. My area of town is an older neighborhood where a lot of the folks fight things like this because they want to "shop local". So that's not Amazon's fault. But there is a state university just a few miles away, and they usually have them there for students but for some reason they don't yet. I wish they would put some in - then DD could just pick up packages after class for me!

I see many are having issued with delivery services already. That's such a bummer. I'm opting for store pick up more this year. For one, it keeps my nosey kids from seeing new boxes at the door every day, and two, less chances of having something stolen. Tis the season....

It stinks to hear about all the trouble so many of you are having with your deliveries. We live on a really busy corner, which at first, would make you think we were a prime house for stolen packages, but I think it is actually too busy for anyone to try and stop and do anything without being noticed. Our mailman and UPS man put packages in the driveway by our garage, but the Amazon delivery guys always put them on the front porch. We don't ever use our front door, so sometimes things sit out there for a day before i remember to check for them.

I’ve had a couple of Amazon delivery drivers pull this. I let Amazon CS know about it. They now stand and wait for me to answer the door.

We have a porch but it has big, square posts and most delivery people tuck packages behind them so they can’t be seen from the street. Our neighborhood is pretty decent, a few obnoxious kids but for the most part I haven’t had to worry about things vanishing. *knocks wood* It helps that about half our neighborhood has Ring Doorbells and it’s pretty well known. I got a great deal on one from Best Buy a couple weeks ago, DH will be installing it this weekend.

I’ve just about have the Christmas thing wrapped up. Need some fillers and something for DH’s Aunt but that’s about it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter