• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Anyone deal with Carpal Tunnel?

BernardandMissBianca

Rum makes math fun!
My left wrist has been has been hurting for weeks right at the wrist bone, like I had broken a blood vessel or something. Now the pain is radiating into the back of my hand, especially when I'm driving and my hand is bent slightly backwards. I also can't lift shopping bags or even hold the kids hands if they tug on me at all.

does this sound like carpal tunnel?

Should I see my MD or my chiro? He deals with carpal tunnel all the time.

It stinks cause I'm left handed and it's making life difficult!!!!!

Kind of. Does it hurt to type on the keyboard, etc. too?

I had this years and years ago. I got a wrist brace (velcro strap gizmo that went from knuckles almost to the elbow) from the doc and had to wear it day and night (I think) for about six weeks. And couldn't do the lifting, grabbing, rotating, typing, stirring, etc. with that hand. (Good luck with that part now that the holidays are upon us!!!) Don't remember heating or icing it, but it was a long time ago...

The good news is that it passed and I've never had it since. I suppose my two cents is to check it out with your doc first - then if you think you need treatments to visit the chiro.

Good luck!

What you are describing is similary to what DH had several years ago... we took him to the doctor and they told us to go out and get a wrist wrap to wear (velcro type closure)... he wore it and hasn't had any flare ups since... ;)

Ok, off for my errands...try the wrap first and see how that does...but if it persists for much longer I'd go to the doctor to make sure it's nothing worse!

Sounds similar to Daniel's CTS- his was not that bad so the doctor just told us to buy a wrist brace and have him wear it at night.

I would go with the chiro over the doctor to start.

Rebecca

Thanks everyone. I had a feeling it was that. I will call the chiro on Monday and see if he thinks he can help. If not then off to the MDs. I want to deal with this before our trip.

My wrist really hurt last spring, I went to the doctor about it and found out if he wrote a prescription for the brace, my insurance covered it 100%. So, I got a brace for free (after my $20 co-pay for the office visit).

I first got it when expecting DS(16), and Dr gave me a brace to wear at night to try to keep it under control - its caused by swelling in the wrist, and water retention can make it flare (isn't it great being a woman:headache:)

Mine steadily got worse - does it wake you at night with painful pins and needles? Mine also went numb if I was carrying anything. In the end I had carpal tunnel release surgery last October - the symptoms immediately went but my hand was basicaly useless for over a month and even now I get pain down the outside if I overdo it (like cut up a butternut squash:rolleyes1) Try and get a vertical mouse - anything to stop your wrist twisting is good. I also got a smaller keyboard (without the number pad on the side) about the size of a small laptop keyboard but normal buttons, plus on the other side I have a track pad-thingy (like the glidy thing you have on a laptop which works the curser) with shortcut buttons to explorer etc.

Professional help is what you need:thumbsup2

my pinky is numb and it does get weak felling if I pick something up. It doesn't really swell up that bad and there are no pins and needles, just pain.

It doesn't swell with CT, but sometimes it feels a bit as if it does - and CT affects pinky to middle of longest finger - thumb and forefinger are OK. Sounds like it to Dr Mazda;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter