Anyone dissappointed in star wars land

Thank you, Andrew, for clarifying.
:-)

My husband, my two daughters (11 & 13 yrs old), and I live in Northern California and make it to Anaheim once a year, usually in August. All of us have different preferences as to what to do in the parks, so a big part of our travel preparation is figuring out how to juggle these individual needs. SWGE seems to be one of the rare occasions of an attraction all of us are excited about. We don’t look at the land’s individual elements as “attractions” or “experiences” but consider the land itself both attraction and experience.

From what I gather from the trip reports here on the board, there is a good chance that this land will become one of our family favorites. We’ll see this summer, when we visit it, if it holds up to the hype.

Neither of us is into shopping or spending hundreds of dollars on building droids or a fancy light saber (in fact, we used instructions on the Internet and our creativity to make or own, truly one-of-a-kind lightsabers from PVC pipes and tape at home a while ago for an itty-bitty fraction of that).

All of us are, however, really excited about the theming and artistry of SWGE that we’ve seen on pictures, and we can’t wait to see the land for real!

For most of my youth (I was born 1966, so I was 11, when “A New Hope” came out) I didn’t care much about Star Wars but was more of a Trekkie. In the end, my husband’s passion for the original Star Wars trilogy proved contagious, and by now both girls have gotten into the movies, too. The little one was Leia a few Halloween’s ago, and one of the older one’s Halloween costumes in another year was Rey. They are both likely to enjoy the many different details the land has to offer and to appreciate the level of thought that went into it. I wouldn’t be surprised if SWGE—crowds or not—will make it onto our to-do list for many years to come.

I wouldn’t consider us crazy “super-fans,” but we appreciate the movies’ storytelling and imagination. Yes, there is dirt and grime, but there is also gritty determination, passionate hope, and the conviction that doing what’s right against all odds is a worthwhile endeavor. So, to me the Star Wars stories are not dystopian at all, the opposite actually.

To me, Disneyland has never been about thrill rides. The average Six Flags has far more of those. To me the real treasure is the level of artistry and craftsmanship that goes into each and every detail of anything in the parks. There is something amazing, a special kind of magic that happens when some of the most talented people on this planet come together to conceive and build something special, and neither greedy suits nor overwhelming crowds have so far managed to spoil my joy in watching this and being part of it. It seems to me that, under all the hype and the sounds of the cash registers singing their merry song, this new land, at least to a point, celebrates and embodies that.

We’ll keep dealing with the masses (and the heat) during future trips as we’ve done for more than a decade: by doing our research ahead of time to understand the crowd patterns, figuring those patterns into our planning, being willing to get up crazy early and to not get too hung up on our expectations. It works for us, and it (mostly) allows us to get a great deal done, while still enjoying the inimitable energy of a special place bursting at its seams with energy and people, many of whom are just as excited about being there as we are. This is true for the rest of the parks, and I wouldn’t be surprised if that’s true in the new land as well.

Since we always travel to Disneyland in the middle of summer, we are used to crazy crowds. I don’t trust any Disney executive, who claims that he or she wants to work towards thinning the crowds (or moving them through more efficiently). As long as people are willing to pay more and more for increasingly crowded parks, I don’t think streamlining those crowds and minimizing wait times is anywhere close to the top of those execs’ lists of priorities. If people complain about it and then still come back for more, as you and I do, putting too many resources into fixing this unfortunately wouldn’t make much good business sense. People cope, and plenty of money is being made... Ka-Ching!!

I would of course love it, if those working on the direction the parks will take prove the cynical part of me that thinks that way wrong, but I won’t hold my breath... To me, that level of corporate greed takes nothing away, though, from the amazing level of creativity and tenaciousness on the drawing board, during construction, and in the cast members’ finally working hard to make this place come to life!

The app interacts with the land. When you hack a droid or ship, it comes to life, making sounds, moving lighting up. It's pretty amazing. When I go back on Sunday, I plan on spending more time playing with the app. Think of the app as a free version of the Wizarding World wands, except you don't have to wait in line to try (and fail!) to cast a spell.
I thought there was more to the app from what I read than just activating something. Otherwise it would be like Agent P in Epcot. Isn't there more?

Considering you haven't visited and ROTR isn't even open yet, I find this analysis a tad bit ridiculous.

How many rides are there in Pandora at AK? Two? It's two. I skipped both because of limited time in the park, but will try FOP next go round.
FOP is super amazing, you'll see.

I think that a lot of times people who frequently visit the parks forget that many others do not go as frequently. Yes, if you're in the park several times a year, you're likely not going to want to be a droid each time. But Disney knows how many guests they have that come less often and I am sure that they believe those folks will provide a continual stream of new visitors (or 2nd or 3rd time visitors who din't have time or money for the experience the first time) still looking to purchase the higher ticket items/experiences. They wouldn't have gone through the trouble if they thought that after the first 6 months no one would want a lightsaber anymore, kwim?

Plus, I am positive that we will see new styles & parts added to these experiences as time goes on and I am positive that people will indeed go back and pay the cost of another go around to get the newer options or the limited options or the special event options. :)

Now if I have an 8 year old and 10 year old or something, or a friend with them, do I suggest devoting that much time to it, or instead say "walk through to experience the land, but skip the attractions"? Maybe some out of town families with younger then teens kids will weigh in on how high of a priority riding these attractions will be, especially if they only have two or three days there.
I have a younger than teen kid and we'll be visiting from out of state. I know my kids...both above and below the teen cut-off want to go to GE no matter what. They even said they'd be happy to just see the land, try a drink, play with their phones a bit with the interactive stuff, and see some characters milling about. My younger one loves rides, but hates waiting in super long lines, and he knows that could mean skipping the rides/attractions, and he's okay with that. The land is still something he wants to experience. And i think the scale of it is part of what my kids think is so awesome. It's harder to feel immersed in a supposed different world when you can stand in the center and easily see the entirety of it, you know? Having it spread out with things you need to go looking around and through makes it feel more like you're actually in a whole new place. :)

I don’t think streamlining those crowds and minimizing wait times is anywhere close to the top of those execs’ lists of priorities.
I don’t know. Scott Trowbridge made a big deal about all the planning and work they were doing to manage crowds for the opening of SWGE to make it a good experience. And if you read reports from the people who have visited, it’s pretty clear that Disney is doing an awesome job keeping that promise. And to top it off, their planning also has crowd levels across the park at not just manageable, but downright light! I’d say it is the most well run opening of a major attraction I’ve ever experienced. They said they would do it, and they have. Hard to say it’s not on their minds.

I thought there was more to the app from what I read than just activating something. Otherwise it would be like Agent P in Epcot. Isn't there more?

Oh there is. There is a city wide faction battle. Odd jobs you can do for various lore figures. A tie in to the ride.

I didnt play with it a whole lot my first trip, but I plan on using it more when I go again on Sunday.

I don’t know. Scott Trowbridge made a big deal about all the planning and work they were doing to manage crowds for the opening of SWGE to make it a good experience.
I had to read up on who Trowbridge is, and what I found doesn’t really make him sound like what I think of as “suit.” I make a difference between what I consider people whose interest is to make experiences happen and business people who are passionate NOT about creating the best possible parks but about making the maximum possible amount of money for shareholders.

I wouldn’t be surprised if there is ongoing tension between these groups, because their respective interests conflict. The former use their imagination, talents, skills, and technology to make magic, the latter’s job is to milk that magic for profits, the more the better, worrying about individual experiences only when they begin to affect the bottom line.

According to Wikipedia’s entry about him, Trowbridge is a Creative Executive for Walt Disney Imagineering, so I would definitely count him as one of the creative Disney staff rather than one of the bean counters. When I talk about “artistry,” I don’t mean that in the conventional but in the widest possible sense. The people who work on and perfect ride technologies are, in my understanding of the word, artists. So are the statisticians and game theoreticians who work on predicting crowd flow and using whatever they can for capacity optimization. I’m a geek, and to see math used for making a park more fun is to me one of the coolest things ever. Have you, for example, ever looked at the geometry of the jungle cruise wait line when the ride runs at full capacity? Pure genius (and thus, in my opinion, definitely worth being called “art”)!

I bet you, there are some folks at Disney’s business side of things frantically wondering how to counteract the current, relatively light crowds outside of SWGE (rolling ideas in their heads about unblocking previously blocked passes or coming up with other ways to get the crowd levels up to those that are, though uncomfortable, still just barely tolerated by the people who are part of those crowds). I bet you, for any ingenious way that Trowbridge tries to minimize waits and maximize fun, they are trying to devise ways of getting a larger amount of people into the parks, because any even halfway empty space means a lost opportunity to make money to them.

Maybe you are right and Disney (both the creative staff AND the business folks) mean well. Without making money, theme parks cannot stay in business. However, I have over the last few decades noticed a tendency, not just in this line of business but all over the corporate world, to prioritize greed, to define “success” as cutting as many corners as possible with the goal of making obscene amounts of money, valuing those profits over the well-being of the end user of the product or service that is being provided.

Regardless of how much ingenuity somebody like Trowbridge may pour into greater efficiency and innovation to make our visits even more magical, I believe that he and others like him are fighting an uphill battle against those trends of squeezing ever more money out of whatever you do.

Interestingly enough, those tendencies of extreme greed and willingness to do whatever they (again, the business department) can get away with seem fairly recent. If I look at the biography and descriptions of Walt Disney himself, I don’t see that split between creative vision and desire to make money. It looks to me as if Disney had both, a fierce commitment to quality AND business sense. I might simply be too much of a pessimist, but I unfortunately do not see that broader vision in many of the people who make today’s business decisions and long range economic strategy planning for Disney.
:(

Last edited:
I had to read up on who Trowbridge is, and what I found doesn’t really make him sound like what I think of as “suit.” I make a difference between what I consider people whose interest is to make experiences happen and business people who are passionate NOT about creating the best possible parks but about making the maximum possible amount of money for shareholders.

I wouldn’t be surprised if there is ongoing tension between these groups, because their respective interests conflict. The former use their imagination, talents, skills, and technology to make magic, the latter’s job is to milk that magic for profits, the more the better, worrying about individual experiences only when they begin to affect the bottom line.

According to Wikipedia’s entry about him, Trowbridge is a Creative Executive for Walt Disney Imagineering, so I would definitely count him as one of the creative Disney staff rather than one of the bean counters. When I talk about “artistry,” I don’t mean that in the conventional but in the widest possible sense. The people who work on and perfect ride technologies are, in my understanding of the word, artists. So are the statisticians and game theoreticians who work on predicting crowd flow and using whatever they can for capacity optimization. I’m a geek, and to see math used for making a park more fun is to me one of the coolest things ever. Have you, for example, ever looked at the geometry of the jungle cruise wait line when the ride runs at full capacity? Pure genius (and thus, in my opinion, definitely worth being called “art”)!

I bet you, there are some folks at Disney’s business side of things frantically wondering how to counteract the current, relatively light crowds outside of SWGE (rolling ideas in their heads about unblocking previously blocked passes or coming up with other ways to get the crowd levels up to those that are, though uncomfortable, still just barely tolerated by the people who are part of those crowds). I bet you, for any ingenious way that Trowbridge tries to minimize waits and maximize fun, they are trying to devise ways of getting a larger amount of people into the parks, because any even halfway empty space means a lost opportunity to make money to them.

Maybe you are right and Disney (both the creative staff AND the business folks) mean well. Without making money, theme parks cannot stay in business. However, I have over the last few decades noticed a tendency, not just in this line of business but all over the corporate world, to prioritize greed, to define “success” as cutting as many corners as possible with the goal of making obscene amounts of money, valuing those profits over the well-being of the end user of the product or service that is being provided.

Regardless of how much ingenuity somebody like Trowbridge may pour into greater efficiency and innovation to make our visits even more magical, I believe that he and others like him are fighting an uphill battle against those trends of squeezing ever more money out of whatever you do.

Interestingly enough, those tendencies of extreme greed and willingness to do whatever they (again, the business department) can get away with seem fairly recent. If I look at the biography and descriptions of Walt Disney himself, I don’t see that split between creative vision and desire to make money. It looks to me as if Disney had both, a fierce commitment to quality AND business sense. I might simply be too much of a pessimist, but I unfortunately do not see that broader vision in many of the people who make today’s business decisions and long range economic strategy planning for Disney.
:(

Agree with everything you’re saying, and I think they are probably managing crowds well. I haven’t heard of days long lines at the attractions which obviously is great. However, they’re going to some pretty big “extremes” compared to passively managing crowds (which basically would limit them to increased capacity or competing attractions outside the land as their only options).

This will be the first time in the parks that I won’t just be able to wandering around the land whenever I want (unless a very light crowd day). If my virtual queue has me in there from 12 to 4pm, I can’t go experience it in the dark or at dusk. Heck, if I want dinner there because I have lunch plans already then that forces an early dinner.

Don’t get me wrong, I think this is good that they’re limiting access to the land to keep experiences strong, but again, a little disappointed they had to go this route of handling the demand.

Agree with everything you’re saying, and I think they are probably managing crowds well. I haven’t heard of days long lines at the attractions which obviously is great. However, they’re going to some pretty big “extremes” compared to passively managing crowds (which basically would limit them to increased capacity or competing attractions outside the land as their only options).

This will be the first time in the parks that I won’t just be able to wandering around the land whenever I want (unless a very light crowd day). If my virtual queue has me in there from 12 to 4pm, I can’t go experience it in the dark or at dusk. Heck, if I want dinner there because I have lunch plans already then that forces an early dinner.

Don’t get me wrong, I think this is good that they’re limiting access to the land to keep experiences strong, but again, a little disappointed they had to go this route of handling the demand.

From what I understand, you can stay in the land as long as you want when your virtual queue boarding group is up. If I'm wrong, someone correct me. I thought the reservation period is the only time you're limited to a 4 hour block, right?

Oh interesting! So the virtual queue will just determine you entrance time. I figure within a couple months we’ll have a pretty good idea what time we’ll need to start looking at entering the queue to be able to get into the land at dinner to end the day there, etc.

That’s good to know!

Oh interesting! So the virtual queue will just determine you entrance time. I figure within a couple months we’ll have a pretty good idea what time we’ll need to start looking at entering the queue to be able to get into the land at dinner to end the day there, etc.

That’s good to know!

HOW TO GET INTO STAR WARS GALAXYS EDGE FROM JUNE 24
  1. Star Wars Galaxys Edge will open to ALL guests at general park opening hours
  2. Once capacity has been reached, Disney will open the virtual queuing system
  3. There are 2 ways to access the virtual queuing system A. By using the Disneyland App B. By using a Fastpass kiosk and obtaining a paper Boarding Group ticket
  4. You will be assigned a Boarding Group with a specific time to enter Star Wars Galaxys Edge
  5. When you Boarding Time opens you will be alerted through the APP
  6. If you are not using the APP and have obtained a paper Boarding Group ticket , you will need to check the Digital Display Monitors to see when your Boarding Group opens. There will be no return time on the paper Boarding Group ticket
  7. Once your Boarding Group opens, you will have 2 hours to check into Star Wars Galaxys Edge. This means that if you get an alert that your Boarding Group can enter Star Wars Galaxys Edge, and you are in line at Radiator Springs Racers in California Adventures, you can still ride Radiator Springs Racers. You will have plenty of time to get back to Star Wars Galaxys Edge.
  8. Once inside Star Wars Galaxys Edge, there will be no time limit on how long you can stay

When we did Savi’s there was a 50ish year old man in tears because he was so happy. There was also a 6 year old little girl building a droid and when the CM shouted out about the new Jedi rising she got really excited and shouted out Rey. That’s all I need to know. They loved it.

I'm going to be that 50ish year old man when I finally walk through the entry to Galaxy's Edge and see the Falcon. I know it. Hearing John Williams and seeing the Falcon is going to be one of those emotions on par with 'watching the child get married' moments for me. Have Star Wars branded kleenex, will travel to Galaxy's Edge.

Oh there is. There is a city wide faction battle. Odd jobs you can do for various lore figures. A tie in to the ride.

I didnt play with it a whole lot my first trip, but I plan on using it more when I go again on Sunday.
Good, give us more details then...please!

If you don’t want to build a droid or lightsaber or go to the cantina then yes you will probably be ready to go after 2 hours. My husband loved just sitting near the droid depot and watching everyone and when the storm troopers came out. The cantina though is pretty awesome. Yes drinks are over priced but it’s Disney what isn't overpriced? We were going to avoid the cantina but glad we did it our second time through. The drinks are also really good; my picky son even drank the Jabba Juice and ate from the Batuu Bits and he’s a what’s wrong with water and pizza type of kid (just avoid the cliff dweller not the best). Also you can single ride Smugglers Run and go on it a ton to keep you busy (my daughter rode it 6 times straight before she got bored with it).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter