Anyone do Discovery Cove before their cruise instead on the ones offered by DCL?

westjones

DIS Veteran
We have a 3 day cruise booked in September. We had seriously thought of taking our girls to the Dolphin Encounter in Nassau (it will be on their 10th birthday).

From what I read, it sounds like Discovery Cove is a better experience. So now we are thinking of going to Discovery Cove before the cruise, and then just staying onboard the day we are in Nassau and enjoying the ship.

Has anyone done this before? Gone to Discovery Cove in Orlando before going on the ship? Did you like it? Is it worth the money?

I really want to make this trip a VERY special trip. My twins turn 10. So it sounded cool to do the Dolphin thing on their birthday in Nassau, but Discovery Cove sounds like it might be a more fun experience.

For those who have gone, is it a better experience than the one in Nassau?
Thanks,
DJ

I haven't done the one in Nassau, but we have been to Discovery Cove with our 2 children.

Discovery Cove is a beautiful place, and it is a very memorable experience. I would give 2 warnings, however:

It is very expensive - for a family of 4, we spent a thousand bucks! That included the dolphin encounter, snorkeling, lunch, pictures and souvenirs.

2nd, the interaction with the dolphins is very limited. We had expected more and were disappointed that in actuality, we spent about 20 minutes in the water with them, and that was VERY restricted. You are not allowed to actually swim with them, you are only given a "dorsal pull" which lasts a few seconds. They take your picture as you're being pulled... then charge you 20 bucks for it. The rest of the time, you are standing waist deep in water as the dolphin swims past you.

I hate to put such a negatvie tone on that, but as I said, we expected much more interaction. It is my understanding that many of the dolphin encounters available in places like Nassau, etc. offer a much higher degree of interaction, where you can actually get in the water and swim around with these beautiful creatures. I assure you, you can't do that at Discovery Cove.

I am not recommending that you don't go to Discovery Cove, but I do suggest you check into the details of the Nassau encounter before you make a decision.

The snorkeling area at Discovery Cove is beautiful, and the whole facility really is amazing. If you're prepared to accept a very limited amount of actual time in the water with the dolphins, then I think you will love your day there!!!

I hope this is helpful.

'Beano':cool:

Thanks for the link, the reviews are very helpful. If we do this, we will see it as a 'once in a lifetime' experience. We would not normally spend so much money for something like this. But this will be our twin daughters' 10th birthday trip (so we want it to be really special). Also, we have never been to Sea World, so the 7 day admission that comes with the Discovery Cove experience is a nice touch (we hope to go for a couple of days to Sea World before our cruise also).

So if you were to consider that we will get 2 days at a park that we have never seen, and a special experience for a very special birthday (you only turn 10 once, and having 'double digits' is a BIG deal here among the kids we know).

I agree it is VERY expensive. Our cruise and our stay at a Disney resort are all paid for by our DVC points, so this would be our big 'extra'......instead of doing an excursion at Nassau. With only 3 days on the ship, I really hate to miss the activities on the ship.

Anyway, thanks for your input. It sounds like after reading those reviews that 'cost' is the biggest 'con'....and I agree, and would only do this once, but it does sound like a special experience.

DJ

I went to Discovery Cove after my cruise this summer and it was a HUGE letdown for me. The Eastern cruise was AMAZING and although DC was nice it was not quite what I expected. I read on these boards about the Cozumel dolphin experience and it seemed better. I have been to a dolphin experience in Nassau on a different cruise and I really liked it.

My final answer.....hang out with dolphins whereever you can for the least amount of money....and spend lots of time with them....they are the MOST amazing creatures and it's definitely worth it no matter where you see them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter