Anyone downgrading your resort preferences because of higher rates?

When all our kids still lived at home we would tow our trailer down and stay at Fort Wilderness. It was such a lovely resort with awesome transportation to MK. We loved it. We got older and kids moved out, we just didn’t want to tow the trailer down. So we started staying at CBR and loved it. The prices have gone up, the availability has gone down.

Our next trip we were booked at POFQ on free dining and thought we’d give it a try. I also was on a waitlist for a Poly DVC studio. We ended up getting the studio. The price difference in total vacation cost will be about $400 more to stay at Poly.

I’m actually looking forward to having a sofa in the room. That was the hardest thing with the mods. When we used our trailer we had lovely accommodations and going down to standard resort room was tough.

we also tend to spend a lot of time at the resort so amenities are important to us.

I've only stayed 'deluxe' at Disneyland, not Disneyworld, and only because those trips were gifts I gave to my parents. I just can't justify the price for deluxe at WDW, it seems ridiculously overpriced to me when I compare what is offered to international high end hotels. It's not that I couldn't afford it, but I could use that money for so many other things or other holidays.

I have stayed value, it wasn't bad, but I prefer moderates and can usually find a good deal. I like POFQ and riverside, I prefer Coronado and I'm staying there and CBR for my upcoming stay. It's quite honestly about $125 difference per night (with my AP discount) between my room at CSR and the cheapest room at a deluxe (Saratoga springs). Add that up over two weeks... that's just not worth it to me.

That said, if deluxe makes you happy, you can afford it and the price doesn't bother you, go for it. To each their own. Obviously some people see value in it because they keep booking up and Disney keeps building them, and I think people just like to vacation differently. There are lots of people out there who probably think it's silly I pay for a moderate vs a value, but that's where I feel comfortable staying.

Another thing I would add is that Disney Springs area hotels are looking increasingly appealing to me. I would have stayed there for my upcoming March trip, but I'm now taking my brother and his fiancee as a gift and thought it was better to stay on site.

That said, as some food for thought...

I could have got a 13 night stay at a Disney Spring area hotel, where there was a walking path to Disney Springs, for about $450 less than my 8 nights at CSR. And I would have earned hotel points! I think I'm going to do two WDW trips next year and give that a go.

Which hotels in DS do you recommend?

My daughter and I have gone every summer for the past 10 years or more. We used to stay deluxe (BC and WL are our favorites). This summer we are booked at POFQ. With college looming for 2 teens, I just can’t justify the deluxe prices anymore. I’ll miss it, but I’m glad we can still go.

Wow! Reading this thread has convinced me that I made the right decision to buy a DVC resale contract 6 years back now. We were fortunate enough to pay cash for 210 points at VWL. Yes, maintenance fees go up annually, but we have had numerous trips including 2 to VGC in California (where I would never justify the rack rates for a room). We love the deluxe resorts because when the parks hit those magical hours (noon - 3) we escape back to the resort to enjoy the pool and other amenities. I concur, if one wants a deluxe resort I would definitely look at renting DVC points.

Indeed. We have stayed at CR, AKL and WL. We were able to stay at AKL and WL at concierge level a couple of times and were hoping to be able to do that again. Yikes the concierge level rooms at AKL were over $700/night. Even if money were no object, it is just hard to justify that cost. We have stayed at POFQ and Coronado Springs and were very happy with both resorts.

To keep costs down, I've been doing more moderate/deluxe split stays. We take shorter trips. I use the awesome Priceline thread!! We got the Dolphin over Thanksgiving for $168 a night plus the ridiculous fees. Also vacationing at other places. I'm still angry about the jump in price for annual pass renewal. I have not decided whether or not to renew, and that might end our trips. 😐

Well we decided to move our May 2022 up to May 2021. I started pricing things out using this year's rates for 6 nights. We have tickets, so do not need a package.

Swan -- $1968.77 with AAA discount and all fees.

CBR -- $2766.62 with a summer discount.

I mean come on now. Looks like we will go Swan next year or rent DVC points. I will be waiting until maybe 4 months before to make the reservation just to see what kind of deals I can get. That is a ridiculous price for a moderate. We spent less at the Contemporary in 2018 thanks to an agency discount.

I’ve stayed deluxe but have no problem downgrading to stay within a budget. CBR might be my favorite resort even compared to deluxe.

And although I’ve always felt strongly about staying onsite I’m seriously looking off site for our next trip. Disney rates are just that insane. Whatever is going on with the economy the past couple of years hasn’t changed my situation at all so when prices go up I have to look at alternatives.

My wife and I used to go with the Deluxe option when we were traveling alone and the flight tickets and park tickets were cheaper as '2'. When the kids came along, we thought about it often, but the price was astronomical when combined with the increase in warm bodies on tickets.

The more we thought about it the more we came to our own personal conclusion: the room is to sleep in. We rarely have a chance to just hang out and just go swimming. Our kids keep us going more or less all day and all evening when at WDW. We get small breaks back at the resort, but then we're off again.

We are now looking at CBR ourselves for our next trip. Would I love a week at Poly? Heck yes. But the reality is, it's a room with a view. And even then I'm hardly viewing anything through eyelids! 😴

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter