Anyone drive from the maritimes?

ShelleyLovesOrlando

Earning My Ears
Hi folks,
We'll be heading down for a month in February/March 2019 from Moncton, NB. This will our 8th trip in 7 years but the 1st time driving. Not gonna lie, I'm not looking forward to the drive but it makes more sense financially. I can't help but feel a bit sad about not experiencing all the sights, smells and excitement that comes with arriving at MCO (I know i'm strange, lol). Anyone complete this drive? Any thoughts on the best route or suggestions on where to stay along the way?. Hubby wants to try to drive it in 2 days...I'm pretty sure it'll take at least 3. Just looking for someone who's done it and can tell me if it's as bad as I fear it will be or offer some encouragement. I feel like it's a waste of my precious vacation time.

Never did the drive from the maritimes but I guess the most straightforward route I95 all the way would be the less "complicated" route. Off course you'll hit ALL the major eastern cities so timing will be important. Doing it in 2 days is ambitious to say the least. It's going to be two 12+ hours days not counting food/gas/toilet break.

I have driven it from New Brunswick, took us about 27 hrs non stop, three drivers, just stop for gas and fast food. I would check out driving down on 81 to avoid the big cities. Check out the thread "Driving from New Brunswick " some great info there.

Thanks for the info, I'm grateful for your input. I just don't think 2 days is possible but my husband is determined (btw, he's the only driver). I'll certainly check out the other thread.

I grew up driving annually for March Break from NB. The way down is actually really fun - I have fond memories of all the places we used to stop along the way. It's exciting as the weather gets warmer and vacation gets closer. We had a tradition to put our shorts on at the NC border - the locals would stare at us but we didn't care, ha! We would take our time on the way down - about 28 hours spread over 3 days. If my memory serves me, we would usually stop in Connecticut and Georgia. The most important thing is to make sure you are driving to avoid NYC at rush hour.

The way back is not fun, I won't lie. The post-Disney blues sets in and you have a long drive home where it's getting colder and colder. We would usually drive straight through on the way back with my parents taking turns driving, or stop for just 1 night.

I haven't done the drive in a long time but I would do it again if the savings was worth it.

Is it just the 2 of you? We're flying direct out of Halifax the start of March, prices were pretty good $520 return, direct both ways. Plus we have the Westjet credit card, so we used our $99 companion flight. I'd need to be saving a lot of money to drive to Florida and back.

I agree on the flying, drove it once, I would not do it again unless I was going to stay for an extend period of time{month or more}. Then it would be cheaper to have my own car instead of a rental.

Thanks everyone, I agree that flying is better. We usually fly direct out of Halifax and had airmiles or other loyalty points that helped with the flight and/or rental car costs but for this year, we are all out of points. Our usual trips are 3 weeks and with this year being a full 4 weeks, we cannot justify the flight cost/rental car and parking for our own car at the airport in Halifax for a month. I did price out our regular non stop flight (we will only fly non stop) for our dates and we're looking at 2245$ before paying for luggage. Parking at the airport garage is generally 100$ +tax per week and a rental car for a month will run us at least 1200-1500$. This will cost between 3500-4000$ total and I'm pretty sure we can drive for a lot cheaper. Trust me, if the $ was there, I would gladly fly. I realize the return drive will be the worst but thank you to those that have done it and advised me of what to expect.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone, I agree that flying is better. We usually fly direct out of Halifax and had airmiles or other loyalty points that helped with the flight and/or rental car costs but for this year, we are all out of points. Our usual trips are 3 weeks and with this year being a full 4 weeks, we cannot justify the flight cost/rental car and parking for our own car at the airport in Halifax for a month. I did price out our regular non stop flight (we will only fly non stop) for our dates and we're looking at 2245$ before paying for luggage. Parking at the airport garage is generally 100$ +tax per week and a rental car for a month will run us at least 1200-1500$. This will cost between 3500-4000$ total and I'm pretty sure we can drive for a lot cheaper. Trust me, if the $ was there, I would gladly fly. I realize the return drive will be the worst but thank you to those that have done it and advised me of what to expect.

Staying for a month definitely changes the math versus a 1-2 week trip. You'll save a lot of money by driving, and at least you'll be there so long it won't feel like it's cutting into vacation time.

Hope you can find some interesting sights on the way!

Moncton here too (actually Riverview)........WOW 4 weeks in Disney, I'm jealous !!

Why the rush getting there then? Trying to get there in 2 days with 1 driver will be tiresome, not to mention the possible weather related issues.

I've never driven it, always had enough Air miles to fly.

In-laws go down annually from PEI. They like taking 84 west just north of Boston and then 81 south to by-pass New York, Philly, Washington.
You can lose a lot of time in the big cities on 95.
Plan a good long fist day and then it gives just a day and 1/2 and you are there.

Ok 4 weeks is a game xhanger...def drive and take a few days on either end. For an added bonus. Book disney hilton head for a few days i recommend on the way home. If your not dvc. Then rent so muxh cheaper. The place is great. Island is tons of fun. Book a kayak with the dolphins with disney and play on the big wide beach...drive for sure

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter