Anyone a member of D23? What are the best benefits?

kniquy

DIS Veteran
I recently received a Disney Visa mailer and it mentioned a discount on a D23 membership. I did look at what is included in the membership. Most likely would not be able to attend any of the member events, so are there benefits besides the events that make it worth the $80. We love Disney, not just the parks but the inner workings and history of how it came to be, so I am thinking it could be a great Christmas gift for DH.

For those of you who do belong to D23 -- what makes you thing the membership is worth it?

I see the publication 4 times per year -- do you feel this gives you unheard information or by the time you receive it you have likely already heard about the stories? or just worth it for the quality and the images in the magazine. Would you buy a membership it for the publication alone?

Are the discounts different from what w get as DVC members or AP holders?

The discounts are definitely different. For example at Uniqlo at Disney Springs they offered at D23 discount, but not a DVC or Annual Pass discount.

My sister gave me a Day one Membership in D23, and I let it slide.

I love to cruise, and I like DVC Member Cruises a lot, and many of the special offerings have been seen by D23, so I think there’s a definite overlap.

These prints from the 2017DVC MC indicate they are for DVC and D23:

1C696435-02FE-47E9-B523-7A7F7DB41870.jpeg

The biggest benefit of D23 Membership is the ability to go to the D23 Expo in California. More on this later.

If you are Orlando-centric, there are very few events that will apply to you, and you would have to be very lucky to be going at the same time as one of these events.

The magazine is glossy and well done, but for me, it sits unread for long periods. Which would you rather do? Read 10,000 words about CoCo? Or just see the movie CoCo? Still, it is a beautiful magazine.

So that gets back to the D23 Expo, which is a Disney convention of sorts in California. I think it is offered every two years, but I could be wrong on that. There are presentations on upcoming additions to the parks, upcoming movies, the awarding of new Disney Legends statuses, the opportunity to purchase special merchandise, etc. The events seem like they would be great for a Disney fan. But there are way more people attending the Expo than the seating capacity at any one event. So you have to decide which one is most important to you and camp out overnight for the chance to get a seat. There is an option of paying $2500 for a special ticket to get you in all the high demand presentations, but that is out of my price range. (Would be $5000 for the two of us.)

So I am letting my membership expire this year. If we ever decide to go to the D23 Expo, I will get another membership. Until then, you can see the D23 Expo events on YouTube a few days after they occur. And the DIS podcast crew generally have good reporting from D23, so you can live vicariously through them.

I've been a D23 member since first offered. I'm in the SoCal area so I am where the majority of the events happen but I only use my membership for Expo. Most of the time the local events are booked minutes after opening and I can't get in. The discounted tickets for Expo are great and that right now is really the only reason I have my membership. The first year and a half were great, free events and lots of availablity, good members lounge at Expo but that has changed greatly. I will probably let my membership slide after Expo next year.

'Charter' (somewhere near Day 1?) Membership ... purchased through my Disney Store account for my DH as a gift.

Agreeing strongly with the two posts above me (#5 and #6): we use it mostly for the Expo and had enjoyed the Charter Member lounge in its early years. FWIW, I grew weary of the Expo experience. I've quit renewing on his behalf as I'm disappointed in the offerings, the account structure and the royal pain of renewing for him through my account. He hasn't given up yet ... and still enjoys attending events.

The magazine is attractive and a good read. I do enjoy it ... the material seems far different than stuff I've read elsewhere. So, thumbs up on that. :)

Even with likely not being able to attend events it sounds like it might be worth it to try it out for a year.

thanks all for your input! I haven't really heard much about it on this forum so i really wondered if anyone actually bought the membership.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!