Anyone else clean out their houses latly

I only have a room of my own where I currently live, and I was supposed to move to one of our downstairs bedrooms but it fell through. When I still thought I was moving I threw out three huge contractor's garbage bags full of accumulated crap and I felt so refreshed. Looking around right now though, it looks like I didn't get rid of anything. :confused3

Oh boy, I am not a hoarder and I have a garage and one bedroom full of stuff that I would normally sell. At least it is all neat in both spots. I would have no problem selling any of it to collectors.

just today i was checking to see if i needed to buy a few items for our december trip and in the course of doing so i ended up clearing a ton of stuff out from the bathroom cabinets-including what accumulated to half a paper grocery bag of never opened hotel soaps, shampoo, conditioner and such. good timing-i'll drop it off for the local homeless shelter tomorrow b/c they get more traffic in the winter and the individual toiletries are their #1 request for items to donate.

also cleared out a couple of boxes of old baking supplies-some scary stuff in there. i'll wager the candy sprinkles were as old as the 2 bday candles i found-1 for age 4 and 1 for age 6 (my 'kids' are 25 and 22 :o:o:o).

Yup my mum was coming up to visit me in my new house so I gutted it all so it was tidy. Must have put 5 bin bags full of stuff to the charity shop and maybe another 2 to the recycling centre! Felt so good last weekend I was looking for something else to do. I think it's going to be the kitchen drawers next!

Not really but we really, really need to. We will be redoing a few rooms. Making a nicer office and getting a room ready for my mom downstairs. I am the collecter type. Boarderline hoarder. Takes me forever to get rid of things. I do have purge moments. Like on garbage day if the cans are still unempty the next day I’ll run around the house and grab a bag of stuff to add.
I do have spontaneius moments. Of purge. Last week I was putting laundry away and my closet’s T-shirt section annoyed me. i dumped everything on the bed and ended up getting rid of a bag full of them.

Our basement is horrible too MY DH has the same issues. We have old furniture down there that needs to go

We started in February, one room each weekend. We were each given a plastic storage bin. If something in the house had no "purpose" or "function", it had to fit in the bin. Whatever didn't fit was either donated or trashed. More than half of our furniture and and more than half of our personal property has been purged. We didn't know it at the time, but we were starting the work we needed to do to move into a cute little retirement home five miles from Disney in less than a month.

My house is such a mess right now! I've sorted out a lot of stuff to get rid of, but I haven't gotten rid of it, yet, so it's all in piles. Trash was easy, but the "useful" and recycling stuff need to go to specific locations. And my car is in the shop-normally, I'd borrow my daughter's, but her schedule has been erratic. Also, we had to have the main sewer line to our house replaced a few weeks ago, so everything that was in the basement, got hauled upstairs and dumped wherever it would fit. Fun.

I try to stay on top of decluttering. My cousin lives in a subdivision that has a neighborhood yard sale each spring, so she and I usually participate in that to help with the clutter. We have been in our house now for 11 years, so I'm sure if we were to move, I would have tons of stuff to purge. Before we got married and bought this house, I moved 4 times in 5 years and so I had gotten rid of tons, but I'm sure in the last 11 years I have re-accumulated much more than I realize.

Yep, sure did. I just moved 700 miles and that was the perfect opportunity to purge lots of stuff.
Whenever we move (which has been 3 times in the last 24 years), if we have boxes unopened since our last move we throw them out without even looking at the contents. I can’t even tell you what all has gone to the trash but apparently it’s nothing we really needed very badly. :upsidedow

My wife and I were just talking about how we needed to go through the house and just get rid of so much stuff. We seem to hold on to everything and it's really starting to add up. I think this spring we will bring in some help and really eliminate all kinds of things.

Whenever we move (which has been 3 times in the last 24 years), if we have boxes unopened since our last move we throw them out without even looking at the contents. I can’t even tell you what all has gone to the trash but apparently it’s nothing we really needed very badly. :upsidedow
That’s probably a useful tip under normal circumstances but 95% of our belongings are going to remain boxed and stored until we move again in (hopefully) a couple months. So if I took your advice, I’d have nothing left! :scared:

my 25 year old has been trying to declutter her apartment so she started schlepping over boxes of stuff she decided to toss 'in case' i wanted anything. i said that was fine but then reminded her that by doing so it meant when the time comes to get rid of all of my stuff she would end up having to go through the same stuff all over again...................she's now taking the bulk to goodwill and not bringing near as much over :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

the single greatest incentive to declutter is the experience of having to empty a deceased family member's home-that is unless you greatly detest whomever will be stuck doing it when your own time comes:tongue:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!