• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Anyone else cooking (for Thanksgiving) today?

Zandy595

DIS Veteran<br><font color=green>The other day I f
I made butternut squash and a cranberry-raspberry jello mold so far. After dinner I think I'll do the green bean casserole. We're going to my aunts tomorrow so I don't have to make anything else.

I'm roasting a turkey. Later on I'll pick it off the bones, shred it & boil the bones for a while to get a good amount of broth. Because I store the meat in the broth, there's no such thing as "dry white meat" anymore.

My mother isn't well enough to leave the house so we're taking dinner to her instead of going to my sister's. My DH & DD actually prefer it this way - I serve it on hard rolls with horseradish sauce. Yum! :teeth: And best of all - we get the leftovers! :Pinkbounc

I just started making my sweet potato casserole. We have to do that and pies. This year I bought pies from Market Day. Saved me time and helped my sons school. :)

Deb I know what you mean about leftovers! That is one thing I do not like about going to my inlaws for Turkey day. She fixes "just enough". Which is good, but I love turkey sandwiches :)

I love turkey sandwiches too. For some reason I always feel guilty about taking leftovers home from my aunts house and I only take a little bit. Usually the week after Thanksgiving I'll make a turkey breast for dinner just so we'll have more leftovers.

I'm making a "Fluffy 2-step Pumpkin Cheesecake". I've made it once before. It turned out well! Easy to make! :)

Gotta get moving!

The whole shi-bang....I having a warming drawer on my stove, so once something is ready it goes in there covered in foil. Mashed potatoes are in the crock pot, cooked/mashed and ready to go....but holy cow the turkey took forever! Almost an hour longer......good thing I had some cheese and wine out for the "I'm starving" gang.

Boiled my bones also, and have enough broth for a yummy turkey pie and some soup! It will be turkey all week long:)

oops just realized this was Weds post....I did all this on Turkey day

Cindy - Do you cover your turkey when you cook it? I know the "official" directions tell you not to cover it, but I always do! I find that my turkey never takes nearly as long as they tell you. In fact, the turkey I did on Weds. was 19.78 lbs and only took 2 1/2 hours! According to Betty Crocker it should have taken 6 1/2!! :earseek:

I have an older roasting pan that has a lid that bows down so the condensation will drip back onto the bird & "baste" it. But this year the lid didn't fit down properly as the bird was too "tall" in the pan. It probably took an hour before it "settled" into place & it still didn't take long to finish the bird. ;) So it doesn't even need a tight fit to reduce the cooking time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter