Anyone else counting the days until they send their kid to college?

StitchBuddy

DIS Veteran
Warning!! Rant!! So, is anyone else counting the days until your child/adult goes off to college?? I am about to post a big countdown calendar on the fridge. My DD18 is driving me crazy. If I could send her earlier, I would. I'm thinking she should have gone ahead and gone to summer school. I wish I knew as much at 52 as she does at 18!! Only 67 more days!! Thanks for listening! End of rant!

Nope, my oldest will be a Senior this coming year and I plan to enjoy every minute of it. Then my next follows two years later.

I am trying to look at the bright side of the empty nest, the ability to travel whenever, less cooking, etc. but honest
Y I am not looking forward to it.

Not me. My daughter will be a senior this year and she is already counting down the days but I just want to cry at the thought of her being 3 hours away. My oldest DD is still in this area. This mom is not ready to let go of my babies just yet. :sad:

Warning!! Rant!! So, is anyone else counting the days until your child/adult goes off to college?? I am about to post a big countdown calendar on the fridge. My DD18 is driving me crazy. If I could send her earlier, I would. I'm thinking she should have gone ahead and gone to summer school. I wish I knew as much at 52 as she does at 18!! Only 67 more days!! Thanks for listening! End of rant!
I have eight years before I send my oldest off to college, she is 9 1/2 and she already has a mouth on her

Been there, done that last summer. It may get even worse the closer you get to D-day (Dorm Day!). I agree with mom2rtk that it is their way of putting some distance between the 2 of you so the transition will feel a little easier for them. And the anxiety about what is coming up makes them cranky and irritable. Enjoy the good days/moments as much as you can, take deep breaths on the bad ones.

Bring lots of Kleenex when the day comes because no matter how bad it has been you will be :sad:.

I have something I say often to anyone that asks these days..
"Some days I think I will cry when we drop her off. Other days I am pretty sure we're just going to slow the car down enough that she doesn't get hurt when we push her out and drive away."

This is the household of extremes the past few months. Some days we are laughing and chatting and I see my kid. Other days it's eye rolling and disagreeing with everything and stomping around like a brat.

Don't get me wrong.. I love her and I'm proud of her and she's a really good person. We just need to not live together anymore. It's time for some real world for this girl and hopefully she will learn to not take her family for granted once she's missed home a bit.

ETA) and it's true about the anxiety of it all making everyone edgy. She's excited and scared, I'm excited and scared for her.. it's such a big change.

Last edited:

I felt the same way 10 years ago when my oldest son was heading off to college. I couldn't wait for us not to be living under the same roof. A lot of stress left the house when he went off to college. For the first year or so even when he "came home" for the weekend, he really wasn't "home"....he'd be out with his friends and often slept overnight at their house and we wouldn't even really see him. The second year he started to miss his siblings and spent more time at home. Then he transferred schools and started commuting from home. He was a much different (more mature) person by that time. He had wild oats that needed to be sown and once he got that out of his system, he was a much nicer person. He has grown into a wonderful young man and those stressful months/years are a distant memory....though his younger brother (a rising senior in high school) is trying his hardest to create his own version of them. :rolleyes2 Fortunately I didn't have any issues with the middle son. I'm sure I'll need countdown calendars as my daughters approach college age.....

I felt the same way with both of my kids when they moved out. DS28 didn't go straight to college, but he moved in with some friends--what a relief! There is nothing so obnoxious as a 19 year old! DD22 wasn't quite as bad, but really, by the time we got her moved into the dorm I was ready to do the happy dance. And when we got Christian placed in his group home 3 years ago, I thought we had really hit the lottery!

Ah, yes...well, DS28 moved back home last July during a blisteringly severe depressive episode and he's been with us ever since. He's in school FT and working PT, so he is doing much better, but it will be at least another year until he can afford to move out. DD22 just graduated college, so I imagine she will be moving back home for a bit, too. At least Christian is happily ensconced in his situation!

Hugs to everyone preparing to send their kids off to school. It sure is a crazy mix of feelings.

Our oldest has now graduated, and our second is heading back for his junior year in August. We're enjoying (knock wood) a pretty laid back stress-free summer. We didn't really suffer from anyone acting out that summer after high school, but the stress of preparing to leave did hang over us all summer.

It does get better. :)

I have something I say often to anyone that asks these days..
"Some days I think I will cry when we drop her off. Other days I am pretty sure we're just going to slow the car down enough that she doesn't get hurt when we push her out .

Give her the old tuck and roll lol

Mine that is home from college isn't bothering me too much this year, its the one who graduated last year from college and boomeranged home that is driving me crazy! Our 37th wedding anniversary was yesterday and I never dreamed we would still have kids at home this many years into our marriage!!!

You have no idea. Wish we could have sent him six months ago. I just had another talk with him about the constant lying, but it never sinks in. A year and a half ago, I would have said I would be so sad when my sweet little fella goes off to school. What a difference 18 months and a skanky girlfriend make.

I am only counting the days because I am trying to get everything done plus MOVE and find a place to rent!

Her orientation is Monday. D-Day is Aug. 15th.

I am excited for her. DH and I will be empty nesters. Yea, I can't wait, lol.

I so wish my newly graduated DS was heading off to a dorm come fall. He doesn't have the money to live on campus so will be attending the very fine university about 10 miles from home and living at home. He could have had the money, but he chose to not even nearly live up to his potential in high school. Hence, he missed out on the scholarship money he needed. And I refuse to pay for him to go away after he has refused to take school as seriously as he should. And I am afraid he would goof off at school. But my decision is one that may be the death of me. He has been out of school for a week and tension is sky-high. There may have to be some ugly choices made around here soon.

I'm very excited for my oldest DS18 to start the next chapter in his life. But he will just be so far away, approximately a 28 hours drive from home and he will be gone so soon too. He is joining the Canadian Forces and will be attending Royal Military College in Quebec and he is heading out on June 27th, the day after he finishes Grade 12. I will still have 2 more at home, but they will be gone within the next 4 years. My oldest DD19 is going to be in her third year of university this fall and at least she is only 1.5 hours away. I really don't like this growing up business, it's been very hard on me.

I plan to enjoy every minute of it. Then my next follows two years later.
6ce11.jpg

There are definitely moments when it feels like that. I'm lucky though, those are not even close to the norm and often I just know I will miss her. We live in Germany and she is going back to the US for school and that just seems so FAR away.

I will be glad when the stress of trying to get everything done this year and the move, etc are over though (we both will be, I think).

I am only counting the days because I am trying to get everything done plus MOVE and find a place to rent!

Her orientation is Monday. D-Day is Aug. 15th.

I am excited for her. DH and I will be empty nesters. Yea, I can't wait, lol.
You will LOVE being "semi empty nesters" while your daughter is away. Love to have em home, but also love to do things that "we want to do"...
I feel like we sacrificed SO MANY years with everything built around the kids, now it is time for a little "us time"! ENJOY your new found freedom!:cheer2:
BEST OF LUCK to your daughter!:wizard:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!