Anyone else hate using a TA but feel like you need one?

Only because Disney requires the Travel Agents to talk to a live person at Disney. Someone needs to tell Disney in the year 2020 all of these changes should be able to be done by the cruisers using a website. Using a live person to type in all of the changes is so antiquated.

Plus you have to call in if you want to use a placeholder. At least Disney has opened up online booking for returning cruisers wishing to book on the opening day for their CC level. But the whole point of my post was that there are days when long phone waits happen.

Only because Disney requires the Travel Agents to talk to a live person at Disney. Someone needs to tell Disney in the year 2020 all of these changes should be able to be done by the cruisers using a website. Using a live person to type in all of the changes is so antiquated.
TAs don't necessarily need to talk to a live person to make reservations. I had a placeholder one time and wanted our TA to book a cruise on Platinum opening day. She asked if she could convert the placeholder to a cheap 3 day cruise (memories of how things were done before placeholders existed) before that day, so that she could transfer that reservation to the cruise we really wanted on opening day using a DCL web site.

TAs don't necessarily need to talk to a live person to make reservations. I had a placeholder one time and wanted our TA to book a cruise on Platinum opening day. She asked if she could convert the placeholder to a cheap 3 day cruise (memories of how things were done before placeholders existed) before that day, so that she could transfer that reservation to the cruise we really wanted on opening day using a DCL web site.

Not sure why converting a placeholder requires talking to a live person though. Why can't I just make all of those changes via Disney's website or the phone app?

I have Elaine from Dreams Unlimited - she's amazing, and she has the patience of a saint.

This is a slightly different situation than yours, since I don’t feel like I “need” a TA, but I can’t stop using Costco because of all the credit I get back from them. I’m not thrilled with using them since they do nothing except act as a middleman and actually make it worse on opening day when you’re trying to use a placeholder. I’ve been seriously considering changing to a traditional TA because at least they will actually do the legwork of booking for you on opening day, which I see as a real benefit. The only thing that’s stopping me is I want to make sure I have a good agent and I don’t know how I would know if they’re any good before I actually use them!

Even though I am a control freak and obsessive planner, I don’t think I would book directly through DCL because I wouldn’t want to give up OBC from a TA or the Costco shop card.

I don't use a TA because I like to be in charge of my own reservation. I don't like the idea that it is my vacation, my money, but someone else has control over it. I feel the anxiety if I don't do my research and know exactly what I am getting into. It is worse for me to NOT know everything that I need to know and to rely on someone else. I don't trust that they have my best interest in mind. And I know that they are busy with other clients. It is very easy now, with the internet, to get all of the information that you need. No OB credit is worth it, to me, to give up control of my vacation.

I think you are overly thinking what all a TA does or what control they have. I use a TA and I have 100% control over my trip. Some people like a TA's services and pay extra for them to do all the ground work. I do my own research and know exactly what I am getting into. I do my research and know what I want booked and they book it. If I have specific questions, as good agent will know the answer and or offer suggestions. I look online and play with the booking tools to check for price ranges and for specials. Once I decide what I want I have my TA book it.. for many reasons.. 1. I get the OBC
2. They look for price changes for me and adjust
3. If anything comes up, I want my agent to do the dirty work and beg Disney for exceptions. I figure an agency that brings millions to DCL/Disney has a better chance of any exceptions.. ( cancelling or changing). I once had a change request that was technically not possible and my TA dealt with it and got it done..
4. Once I know what I want I can say what are the best cabins ( based on my must have and would like if price right) avail. for this price range... and they give me a list.. better than me searching different decks on the online tools.

The TA is only the middle man when it comes to actually making the booking and payments. Payments go directly to DCL/Disney. You are not paying the agent( unless you have one that does extra stuff and that is billed separately).

EVERYTHING else you control, whether it checking in online for your cruise and setting up activities or booking FPs or ADRS...
They always have your best interest in mind as they are only interested in what YOU tell them as the client.

I think you are overly thinking what all a TA does or what control they have. I use a TA and I have 100% control over my trip. Some people like a TA's services and pay extra for them to do all the ground work. I do my own research and know exactly what I am getting into. I do my research and know what I want booked and they book it. If I have specific questions, as good agent will know the answer and or offer suggestions. I look online and play with the booking tools to check for price ranges and for specials. Once I decide what I want I have my TA book it.. for many reasons.. 1. I get the OBC
2. They look for price changes for me and adjust
3. If anything comes up, I want my agent to do the dirty work and beg Disney for exceptions. I figure an agency that brings millions to DCL/Disney has a better chance of any exceptions.. ( cancelling or changing). I once had a change request that was technically not possible and my TA dealt with it and got it done..
4. Once I know what I want I can say what are the best cabins ( based on my must have and would like if price right) avail. for this price range... and they give me a list.. better than me searching different decks on the online tools.

The TA is only the middle man when it comes to actually making the booking and payments. Payments go directly to DCL/Disney. You are not paying the agent( unless you have one that does extra stuff and that is billed separately).

EVERYTHING else you control, whether it checking in online for your cruise and setting up activities or booking FPs or ADRS...
They always have your best interest in mind as they are only interested in what YOU tell them as the client.

But if a travel agent books your trip, they now "own" it. Disney won't talk to you if you want to change anything or ask them something. I actually studied to be a travel agent back in the day so I am familiar with how it works. I don't see any reason in this day and age, with the internet, to use a travel agent. It is a personality thing I guess. But I don't want anyone else "owning" my reservation. I don't want to HAVE to go through them if I want to change anything. Unless you know the agent and they have proved that they can be trusted, I would not put my reservation in someone else's hands. There are too many horror stories about bad agents. No thanks. I can research, plan, and book my own trips just fine. Plus if you are doing all of the research and everything already, I see no point in handing your reservation over to someone else.

But if a travel agent books your trip, they now "own" it. Disney won't talk to you if you want to change anything or ask them something. I actually studied to be a travel agent back in the day so I am familiar with how it works. I don't see any reason in this day and age, with the internet, to use a travel agent. It is a personality thing I guess. But I don't want anyone else "owning" my reservation. I don't want to HAVE to go through them if I want to change anything. Unless you know the agent and they have proved that they can be trusted, I would not put my reservation in someone else's hands. There are too many horror stories about bad agents. No thanks. I can research, plan, and book my own trips just fine. Plus if you are doing all of the research and everything already, I see no point in handing your reservation over to someone else.
I’m with you on this. Every cruise I had I have made changes. We had to move dates due to a work conflict, then we moved rooms when a midship room became available. On our current cruise, we made multiple changes to our reservation for our current cruise (first changed the room when a better one opened, then booked a room for my in laws when we found out they could join us, then changed both our rooms to get connecting ones). It gives me a lot of peace of mind to know I am just a phone call away if I need to change anything.

Another vote for TA for cruise, and book Disney yourself. I am someone who does spreadsheets and lists and needs control of every part of my trip. I do not feel that having a TA for a cruise takes away from this at all. Using the Disney Cruise Line App I can book all the Port Adventures and activities I want by myself while having the TA help me with things I am not as knowledgeable about such as payment, VGT rates, and port transfers.y latest cruise we booked within 75 days and i got off the phone booking and was able to use the App to schedule port adventures within a few hours. I have used Kathy Werling from DIS twice now and have not ever felt like I did not have the control I wanted of my trip, while she has answered the “newbie” questions I have. I hope that helps!!

I don't understand NOT using a TA. I'm a control freak, and I like having one person that I can tell my expectations to and follow up with. I can still plan all my own side things, but having one contact (and no phone hold times) is really huge to me. Plus, I'm supporting a small business rather than putting more money into a huge corporations hands, and getting something special in return. As much as I consider myself an expert, it's not my full time job to stay on top of things, so when my TA messages me that Smugglers Run FP's just opened up and she grabbed me some, or a new restaurant opened and I have a reservation - that's amazing, and why I use her every time. Plus, there are absolutely days when I can't get online to do what needs to be done, so having a backup that isn't my DH is a huge relief!

Another vote here for using a TA for the OBC and nothing else. I tell the TA which cruise and which specific stateroom we want, and then I do all the signing up for port excursions myself.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter