Anyone else have issues with Capital One CC payments posting timely?

ten6mom

DIS Veteran
I got a Capital One card for the first time last fall because I was getting ready to travel overseas and wanted a card with no foreign transaction fees.

I have used the Bill Pay feature through my credit union for several years to pay all my bills including multiple Chase credit card bills. I always schedule the payment to arrive in advance of any bill's due date.

Twice in 6 months, Capital One has taken multiple days AFTER my CU shows my payment cleared to post the payment, resulting in a late fee.

I'm wondering whether anyone else has had this experience.

I had a Capital One card over 20 years ago and had that same problem. It was before online bill pay so I had to send the bill certified mail until I could pay it off. I can’t believe they are still doing it.

I got a Capital One card for the first time last fall because I was getting ready to travel overseas and wanted a card with no foreign transaction fees.

I have used the Bill Pay feature through my credit union for several years to pay all my bills including multiple Chase credit card bills. I always schedule the payment to arrive in advance of any bill's due date.

Twice in 6 months, Capital One has taken multiple days AFTER my CU shows my payment cleared to post the payment, resulting in a late fee.

I'm wondering whether anyone else has had this experience.

My credit union always had a "pay by" date listed in bill pay and as long as I make the payment early enough to get it there by the "pay by" date, they will follow up with the payee to find out what happened. If the payment was truly late (meaning the credit union's fault) they will cover any late fees.

I would see if your credit union has the same guarantee/policy and if so, I'd notify them about what was happening with that payment and let them deal with Capital One. One time my mortgage was shown as late and after digging I realized they were missing a payment. I contacted the credit union (through a button on the bill pay website) and they did all of the follow up and were able to determine that the mortgage company applied my payment to another account. It was awesome, I didn't waste any of my time on the phone and everything was resolved quickly.

Thanks all for your feedback.

I do always schedule it to be paid in advance of the due date. But if it shows "cleared" through my CU then doesn't it mean the money has been taken by Capital One? They are the ONLY payee I've ever had trouble with so I tend to think its a Capital One issue and not a CU issue. Perhaps I don't fully understand the "cleared" part. What I mean is, it shows up on my CU transaction list as a completed transaction. I always thought that was the same as a paper check showing "cleared" in that the recipient had cashed the check.

**ETA: My CU account shows "Electronic Withdrawal." Does that necessarily mean they sent it electronically and did NOT send a paper check?

Thanks all for your feedback.

I do always schedule it to be paid in advance of the due date. But if it shows "cleared" through my CU then doesn't it mean the money has been taken by Capital One? They are the ONLY payee I've ever had trouble with so I tend to think its a Capital One issue and not a CU issue. Perhaps I don't fully understand the "cleared" part. What I mean is, it shows up on my CU transaction list as a completed transaction. I always thought that was the same as a paper check showing "cleared" in that the recipient had cashed the check.

**ETA: My CU account shows "Electronic Withdrawal." Does that necessarily mean they sent it electronically and did NOT send a paper check?

i don't think any financial institution sends physical checks anymore-it's all electronic.

with my credit union it will show when they transmitted the payment (and took the money from my account) but that doesn't mean the payee has processed it yet. an example would be a recent payoff i did on one of dd's student loans-the bank transmitted funds on 4/4 but the payee website clearly stated that it could take 4-5 business days to process a payment so it didn't post as a payment until early this week.

with my credit cards i tend to manually do a phone payment by calling the credit card company b/c their phone systems say that payments received by a certain time are posted same day vs. being posted at the latest the next day. when i finish the call i'm given a verification number and if i see that the payment hasn't posted w/in 24 hours i can call back and resolve it before it becomes an issue of a late payment.

I do bill payment through my bank, and on occasion when a certain bill is due on a weekend or holiday, they send me notice that they are changing the day my payment gets sent to accommodate it.

Still hasn't posted.

I've been on the phone for 40 minutes now with the CU. They DO still send a paper check! And there is no way to tell whether my payment ever arrived, apparently.

I still say it's a problem with Capital One as they're the only payee I've ever had trouble with.

Still hasn't posted.

I've been on the phone for 40 minutes now with the CU. They DO still send a paper check! And there is no way to tell whether my payment ever arrived, apparently.

I still say it's a problem with Capital One as they're the only payee I've ever had trouble with.

Confirm that the address you have in your CU billpay is still the correct address on your billing statement. That happened to me once, I didn't realize it had changed. It's actually why I don't use billpay through my CU (or any bank) anymore. Not saying it doesn't work well for some, I just feel better knowing I'm paying directly to the source with no middleman. Even if it is mailing a check from the post office. Which I guess is sort of a middleman :teeth: but you know what I mean! I like to drop it into the mailbox myself. Most I pay online via company web/app, but a few still charge for cc pay, so I still mail checks for some.

I always pay online through Capital One site or the mobile app.

The payment is posted next day, and is taken from my checking next day also.

Exception is weekends I think post Monday. Not 100% sure on that.
I do the same thing and have never had a problem.

My best friend has checking and credit card both with Capital One and has had this problem several times. The money will show up debited from her checking account on the payment due date but won't post to the credit card until a day or two after the due date, resulting in a late fee.

Still hasn't posted.

Why not go through the Capitol One app or website and pay directly? Those payments post ASAP.

i don't think any financial institution sends physical checks anymore-it's all electronic.

with my credit union it will show when they transmitted the payment (and took the money from my account) but that doesn't mean the payee has processed it yet. an example would be a recent payoff i did on one of dd's student loans-the bank transmitted funds on 4/4 but the payee website clearly stated that it could take 4-5 business days to process a payment so it didn't post as a payment until early this week.

with my credit cards i tend to manually do a phone payment by calling the credit card company b/c their phone systems say that payments received by a certain time are posted same day vs. being posted at the latest the next day. when i finish the call i'm given a verification number and if i see that the payment hasn't posted w/in 24 hours i can call back and resolve it before it becomes an issue of a late payment.
My cards are if you make an online payment by 8pm, it will post the same day. After 8pm, it will post the next day. I've only ever made payments online or through the app, so I don't know how the phone payment works.

Still hasn't posted.

Pay directly through their website or app (I'm assuming they have both those options). It will post immediately if you so chose and you cut out the middleman, who seems to be causing the issue.

Why not go through the Capitol One app or website and pay directly? Those payments post ASAP.

Exactly. Or better yet for me, I have all my credit cards set up to autopay the statement balance on the due date. I still can see the statement weeks ahead so I know how much will be coming out of my checking account, and I usually write it in my check ledger and subtract it from my balance. (Yes I am old fashioned and still keep a paper register!)

Is it possible the CU doesn't do any electronic transfers? Seems odd in this day and age of technology.

I had an issue one time with Capital One. I scheduled the pmt via the mobile app a few days before it was due. It usually posts the next day but it didn't this time and it was a large pmt because we used the card a lot that month. I kept checking over and over and I was convinced I would end up with late fees and a mark against me as a late payer. Thankfully it ended up showing paid in the late afternoon the day before it would have been late. So I rearranged my pmt schedule and now I pay it a week before it's due. Of course it has consistently posted the following day ever since, lol.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter