Anyone else like me - parking fee

We usually stay at the boardwalk. The parking lot is over the bridge. With my mobility issues there's no way that I can walk from the parking lot to the hotel. I hope they do not take away the valet free parking

Actually, many states allow free metered parking with HA tags. I don't know the legalities of it, but it must be allowed because it's not unusual.

My experience in the state of Maine and many cities in NH have been free metered parking as well. Not sure what the logic is.
I always assumed because you had to get over the curb (or snow bank) to get to the meter?

Seriously? So people with disabilities that do not require a hang tag have to pay, but those who have the hang tag are free? And other people who are paying the same amount to stay, etc, have to pay for parking? I think that's not right.
people with Hangtags have not had to pay for valet parking for years. I will say I think they should charge guest that park at resorts in order to skip the fees at the parks before they charge on-site guest staying at the hotel

My experience in the state of Maine and many cities in NH have been free metered parking as well. Not sure what the logic is.
I always assumed because you had to get over the curb (or snow bank) to get to the meter?
Free metered parking in Florida also. No snow banks here. Lol

that is the issue in Minnesota as well. There is also the issue that some meters are not accessible even when there is no snow because of curbs or height/location of the meter.

The ADA was set up to address discrimination against people with disabilities. Where is it talking about separate or unequal treatment, it is treatment that discriminates against people with disabilities.
Some examples:
- Segregating all accessible hotel rooms in one area, not allowing guests who need that type of room to have a choice of locations
- seating guests with disabilities in a corner of a restaurant, rather than allowing a choice of locations
- requiring guests with disabilities who want participate in an activity (class, etc.) to attend a ‘disability version’ of the activity, deniying them the opportunity to participate in the ‘regular’ version
- requiring eligibility criteria that screens out people with disabilities, which denies them the opportunity to participate

Seriously? So people with disabilities that do not require a hang tag have to pay, but those who have the hang tag are free? And other people who are paying the same amount to stay, etc, have to pay for parking? I think that's not right.

FL is the only state to offer free parking to Placards/License plates. in every other state we have lived in, I got ZERO discount or break having a Placard. and its been a standard to pay as much as $20 a day to park at ANY hotel anywhere.

Reactions: DJ!
03B83AA4-6F84-4B60-98F5-AD6337EE4ED1.jpeg This is now listed on the Disney World website.

I also saw postings on Facebook that indicate DVC members will not be charged. I have not seen that on the Disney website yet.

View attachment 309018 This is now listed on the Disney World website.

I also saw postings on Facebook that indicate DVC members will not be charged. I have not seen that on the Disney website yet.
Posted the link in this thread at 2:30 today if you go down some it talks about DVC and handicap parking some

Disney Vacation Club Members
Members will not be charged for standard overnight self-parking when staying at a DVC Deluxe Villa, regardless of whether they use vacation points or another form of payment. Members also will not be charged to park when using vacation points to stay at a Walt Disney World Resort hotel.

ED48BDC6-518A-41D9-80DF-EC8A64DAC87B.jpeg
Posted the link in this thread at 2:30 today if you go down some it talks about DVC and handicap parking some

Disney Vacation Club Members
Members will not be charged for standard overnight self-parking when staying at a DVC Deluxe Villa, regardless of whether they use vacation points or another form of payment. Members also will not be charged to park when using vacation points to stay at a Walt Disney World Resort hotel.
Thanks.
I was reading it on my phone and it didn’t show on that screen.

I note that the Disney site doesn't specify that handicapped parking will be free, just that it is available. Also, nothing about free valet for disabled.

This new parking fee will simply drive us to something that we've been leaning towards anyway...not renting a car, and just using Uber or Minnie Vans to get to dinner reservations, etc.

Charging for parking: As a frequent traveler, charging for parking is the norm at most high-mid end properties and in properties in high tourist areas. Sometimes it is spelled out as a parking fee and sometimes it is considered as part of the resort fee. I can't recall any property waiving the fee for me due to my handicap placard. The only parking accommodation I receive is at Disney (valet). Even some of the Disney Springs hotels charge either a "parking fee" or "resort fee".

ECV/walking issues/non-handicapped: Prior to obtaining my permanent (blue) placard, this is the strategy we used: All hotels have a temporary unload/check-in area right at the doors to the lobby. I was simply dropped off there while my husband/son/friend/brother, etc. parked the car. I would either meet them in the lobby or at the room. It didn't matter that I had an ecv. We would have had to reassemble it regardless of whether we did it when I was dropped or if I went to the parking spot. We also requested rooms close to the parking lot. We personally don't care about the view (except when we stayed deluxe and planned to sit out on our balcony) since we pretty much had the curtains closed when we were in the room. If we wanted ambiance we strolled/wheeled through the resort.

I can see where this might cut down on the use of non-guest parking at Disney hotels. It isn't just the deluxes that have "day tourists". Even the values have people who are staying off-site but park there to use Disney buses and avoid the parking fee.

Parking other places: a)last time I was in DC, if you had a placard you were allowed free, double-time parking at meters. For instance, you pull up to a two hour meter. It is free to park there for 4 hours. b) in Nashville, you park for free in any city owned lot c) in Myrtle Beach you parked for free at any meter for as long as wanted/needed. HOWEVER-any jurisdiction may change their parking ordinances at any time so always check before you go.

I agree that Disney doesn't seem to have enough handicapped parking for their volume. However, I am sure they meet, at least, the minimum standards. But bear in mind, these standards were set with average-use parking in mind. Not a high volume tourist/traffic area. I work for a Federal agency and if you aren't at work by 7:30am your odds of finding a handicapped spot are very, very, very slim, mostly a pipedream.

As far as "fairness" and what is "ADA compliant": I purchased a new home last year. Having wider doors, higher toilets, etc. were considered options you pay for. I was a bit miffed but there really wasn't much I could do. They were offering it to everyone as an option. Which meets the ADA.

Any hoo, this is long enough. Hopefully, we'll hear back from some of us on real-world experiences.

WDW is the only place I have ever travelled where they DIDN'T charge for parking - in reality, it is an industry standard.

Historically, Disney has heavily influenced or set the bar for industry standards when it comes to the realm they operate in. If they’re going to use an “industry standard” line, where is the complimentary breakfast? Disney has set an expectation with their guests that they can expect something better than the industry standard for a vacation with them, and that is why it is worth paying.

I really hope there is some clarification soon on the specifics of how this new policy works compared to what Disney previously provided.

I'm always surprised when I read of people that won't use Disney transportation due to using a scooter. I visit fairly often, always have a scooter, and never had an issue. I do have anxiety issues and take several rx medications for it. Even so, I have never felt that people were giving me dirty looks or making snide comments. Being overweight, with disabilities that are not visible until I try to walk, I would be a likely target for those accusing people on scooters of just being "fat and lazy."

I honestly hope that these bad experiences people have with other guests are isolated incidents, and maybe give it another try. I've had other guests go out of their way to be kind and help me, even in the parks. It really bums me out that perhaps one rude guest or driver has effected families' lives and vacations to the extent that it costs them extra money.

We don't usually stay in resort rooms (although occasionally we do) but mostly stay at Fort Wilderness in our camper. Staying there actually requires TWO buses or a bus and a boat, in the case of MK, to reach the parks. Double the loading and unloading and never a problem. Please don't let random acts of meanness mess things up for you.

Charging for parking: As a frequent traveler, charging for parking is the norm at most high-mid end properties and in properties in high tourist areas. Sometimes it is spelled out as a parking fee and sometimes it is considered as part of the resort fee. I can't recall any property waiving the fee for me due to my handicap placard. The only parking accommodation I receive is at Disney (valet). Even some of the Disney Springs hotels charge either a "parking fee" or "resort fee".

ECV/walking issues/non-handicapped: Prior to obtaining my permanent (blue) placard, this is the strategy we used: All hotels have a temporary unload/check-in area right at the doors to the lobby. I was simply dropped off there while my husband/son/friend/brother, etc. parked the car. I would either meet them in the lobby or at the room. It didn't matter that I had an ecv. We would have had to reassemble it regardless of whether we did it when I was dropped or if I went to the parking spot. We also requested rooms close to the parking lot. We personally don't care about the view (except when we stayed deluxe and planned to sit out on our balcony) since we pretty much had the curtains closed when we were in the room. If we wanted ambiance we strolled/wheeled through the resort.

I can see where this might cut down on the use of non-guest parking at Disney hotels. It isn't just the deluxes that have "day tourists". Even the values have people who are staying off-site but park there to use Disney buses and avoid the parking fee.

Parking other places: a)last time I was in DC, if you had a placard you were allowed free, double-time parking at meters. For instance, you pull up to a two hour meter. It is free to park there for 4 hours. b) in Nashville, you park for free in any city owned lot c) in Myrtle Beach you parked for free at any meter for as long as wanted/needed. HOWEVER-any jurisdiction may change their parking ordinances at any time so always check before you go.

I agree that Disney doesn't seem to have enough handicapped parking for their volume. However, I am sure they meet, at least, the minimum standards. But bear in mind, these standards were set with average-use parking in mind. Not a high volume tourist/traffic area. I work for a Federal agency and if you aren't at work by 7:30am your odds of finding a handicapped spot are very, very, very slim, mostly a pipedream.

As far as "fairness" and what is "ADA compliant": I purchased a new home last year. Having wider doors, higher toilets, etc. were considered options you pay for. I was a bit miffed but there really wasn't much I could do. They were offering it to everyone as an option. Which meets the ADA.

Any hoo, this is long enough. Hopefully, we'll hear back from some of us on real-world experiences.

but day guests can continue to park at the resorts for free (read the disney website).
So they're not cutting down on day guests - only on night guests.

Beth--thanks for clarifying. I was thinking they would institute some parking measures that are like hotels I've stayed at, even in the Disney area. Gated entrances and exits. If you're a hotel guest you scan your room key. Oh well. I wonder if Disney will hire additional security to patrol the lots looking for parking passes?? (laughing at myself over this sentence..hire more...LOL) My attitude is oh well. I approach Disney with an "open wallet" attitude. I know they're going to end up with ALL the money in it anyway so why fight it. In the long run, it just stresses me out. That being said, I remember the days when my son was young (he's 35 now) and if we could even afford a trip, it was through a lot of scrimping and saving and then scrimping as much as possible while there. Even when I had saved enough to make onsite within reach, a parking fee would have made the difference between onsite and offsite.

Beth--thanks for clarifying. I was thinking they would institute some parking measures that are like hotels I've stayed at, even in the Disney area. Gated entrances and exits. If you're a hotel guest you scan your room key. Oh well. I wonder if Disney will hire additional security to patrol the lots looking for parking passes?? (laughing at myself over this sentence..hire more...LOL) My attitude is oh well. I approach Disney with an "open wallet" attitude. I know they're going to end up with ALL the money in it anyway so why fight it. In the long run, it just stresses me out. That being said, I remember the days when my son was young (he's 35 now) and if we could even afford a trip, it was through a lot of scrimping and saving and then scrimping as much as possible while there. Even when I had saved enough to make onsite within reach, a parking fee would have made the difference between onsite and offsite.
Disney has had gated entrance and exits for a long time.
There is a guard who scans your Magicband or room key for entry.
When we have gone to another resort, they still scanned the Magicband to verify we were resort guests. They could apparently see our restaurant ADR and when we didn’t have one, they asked our reason for visiting.

There is a gate to get out, but it opens automatically- it’s just there to keep guests from driving in the exit.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!