Anyone else not know many/any other DVC members?

Simba's Mom

<font color=green>everything went to "H*** in a ha
Of course, I'm not counting the people you may have met here or when you were at DVC resorts. But we've been members for over 15 years, and yet I've only met 2 other DVC members in every day life. One was my dentist, and the other was someone I ran into wearing a "Member's Cruise" shirt.

Nope. I’ve never met anyone in my everyday life. I have one friend who considered it. I have seen a few cars with DVC decals out and about.

My kids school nurse - happened to mention going to FL, so of course I asked where - turns out she owns OKW and has probably owned since close to the beginning. Other than that I will occasionally see a DVC magnet on a car, but no one that I know as friends owns.

We know quite a few from work and lots of friends that are members too. At work alone I can think of 5 people that are DVC members and two actively considering it. 2 personal friends are members as well.

Sometimes second cousins are not aware of each other. Five years ago a death in the family happened and we met these cousins who have owned DVC SINCE 1991! Then it turns out they own a house in Wildwood Crest, we owned in Cape May NJ, and we have been fast friends ever since! We are going on the Bermuda MC together next year, and we are headed to Aulani together next month.

My DD17 best friend's family who is also a neighbor of ours. When the girls were in kindergarten my DD's friend came over for a play date and her mother came later to pick her up. We got to talking and we quickly found out that we both had an extreme love for Disney (this was before we bought in), she told me about DVC. I was so glad she told me about it because DH and I were actually looking into it anyways, but it was great to talk to someone so close to our home and ask questions. When we decided to finally pull the trigger (a couple years later) we asked if we could refer them and they were more then happy that we did.

I know three. two through my involvement in the Boy Scout Movement and one is a friend of the family. I also have a niece who is considering it.

Op / Interesting thread

My DH discovered many of the newer hires at work owned DVC. Majority SSR direct and VB resale

I was talking to a woman while sitting at GDs gymnastic practice. Turns out she bought copper creek on a whim last vacation but doesn’t plan to ever stay there

Was complaining all she could book for trip end of August was SSR. I just smiled and referred her to these boards to learn the drill as she seemed to not have done a luck of research before purchasing - crazy

Of course, I'm not counting the people you may have met here or when you were at DVC resorts. But we've been members for over 15 years, and yet I've only met 2 other DVC members in every day life. One was my dentist, and the other was someone I ran into wearing a "Member's Cruise" shirt.

Not sure what part of the country you're from, but some states have lower numbers of members. If you are from NJ or NY, I would be very surprised if you had never met any members as those 2 states have a very high percentage of DVC members in comparison to other states. I'm from the southwest originally and referred 1 person who actually joined while I still lived there! That was in the 90's. :D

I think because there still is a bit of a "stigma" to TS, some members are reticent to mention their ownership to casual acquaintances, don't you? Unless they're talking Disney of course! :cutie:

I've met WebmasterDoc and most of my fellow DVC Moderators on trips to Disney. Now, Seguin is a relatively small town, but I do know there are some DVCers here. I've met a few in social situations, but are not close friends. Of course, back to the small town thing...it seems I'm at least distantly related to almost everybody here, even though I was born and raised in California. My Grandmother was one of 10 children, and my Mom had 24 1st cousins here, so imagine how many distant cousins I have.

Last edited:
SIL and her hubby are DVC. We had two neighbors who had DVC (past neighbors in two different neighborhoods, we've moved a lot). And we had one couple who's DD was on our DDs' softball team that had DVC. DH once worked with a guy who had DVC. And that's it.

It probably doesn’t count when friends come to Disney with you and then make a DVC purchase. Two of our best friends bought in on two separate trips down. My daughter’s best friend’s parents own DVC. Another parent at dance is DVC. My dentist is DVC... and I did run into a couple in our local grocery store and noticed her Dooney DVC bag. Turns out they were BLT owners. I see the occasional DVC magnet, but people don’t talk about DVC around here unless they know you are part of the Club yourself.

I work in a school and when I walk out on some days, there's an SUV with a DVC magnet that you get when you buy resale. Its not there when I go in the morning, though. It's been a fun little mystery for me to try to figure out who it belongs to. Other than that, I found out that one of my Student's family owns when she told me she was staying at some place called "Kidani" and had to miss school during February because going to Disney was cheaper then.

While visiting Mount Rushmore several years ago, we met a family who also owned DVC and spent a few minutes talking to them. Our other friends stayed with us on a few of our reservations and they purchased DVC points at OKW about two years ago where they had stayed with us.

When my kids were teens and we did the Disney cruise, they met TONS of great DVC friends! If you ever cruise on DCL, you can bet your sweet bippy there will be LOTS and lots of DVC Members! :cutie:

One couple we are friends with owns at BCV and we were so jealous until we were able to purchase ours (we own at poly and HHI)! Two of our neighbors parents own but we don't know the parents. I have seen a couple of magnets as well but that's it.

My company/union website has a search function that shows how many members have a registered address within a given distance of any entered location. I was thinking the other day it would be fun to know a similar number for a DVC owners living in our area just for curiosity sake.

We did get talking to some folks last year at the board meeting who turned out to be from our area.

The director of my 2 yo’s daycare (actually I think it’s her parents who are members and I don’t know them), and my sister-in-law. People at work have asked about it but no one’s taken the plunge so far.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter