Anyone else "stuck" with airline tickets?***UPDATE - Post 1***

Sherlee

Mouseketeer
***Delta updated their policy yesterday to include travel through December 31, 2020. Change fees waived and e-credits good through September 30, 2022*** I was able to cancel our October tickets this morning and have a nice big credit waiting for when we are ready to go to WDW again.

Original Post: Delta is only offering change waivers for travel through September 30 or if you bought tickets after March 1. So, we are stuck with hundreds of dollars worth of lost tickets if we decide not to go in October. What I do not understand, is if you bought tickets during this pandemic you have flexibility through 2022. If you purchased them pre-pandemic you are just out of luck. I am trying very hard to remain optimistic, but yesterday's announcements, just kind of burst my bubble.

Last edited:
I agree with sponica. I would just wait. Delta, especially, has been changing their policies as the situation changes.

Thank you both for your optimism! I want to go so bad - I even got our costumes all made in January for MNSSHP party! I guess I am just feeling a bit down today. Time to go for a walk and be thankful for what I do have! Thank you!

Thank you for this thread! We booked on Sun Country and have until Sunday to change our tickets which are July 31-August 8. We can change for no charge, have to use by February 6th. Unfortunately with two kids in college, one active in middle school sports, and a husband at a new job there are no dates to use. Kicking myself for booking with Sun Country instead of Delta like normal.

Alaska is offering no change/cancellation fees for travel through December 31, 2020. They aren't doing refunds, but at least our money will go to credit that we can use on a different flight up to one year later. So my Oct 2020 flight can be used as late as Oct 2021... hopefully we would be able to use it by then!

We have had 3 non Disney trips cancelled this year, so 3 flights with Delta cancelled. Have no idea how we will be able to use that much credit. Maybe we can fly to Australia in first class LOL.

Delta is only offering change waivers for travel through September 30 or if you bought tickets after March 1. So, we are stuck with hundreds of dollars worth of lost tickets if we decide not to go in October. What I do not understand, is if you bought tickets during this pandemic you have flexibility through 2022. If you purchased them pre-pandemic you are just out of luck. I am trying very hard to remain optimistic, but yesterday's announcements, just kind of burst my bubble.
They are also waiving cancelation fees for most tickets. I bought our tickets for our July trip months ago using a combo of skymiles and cash, and I upgraded our seats so they said I couldn't move them to another date (which seems odd to me, but ok Delta). Our new trip is Thanksgiving week and the flights are 3x expensive than our July flight and I wasn't having it so I just canceled it and we'll drive unless they for some odd reason decide to have reasonable prices for a holiday week (doubtful).

We have tickets through Delta and now I’m confused. I thought Delta changed their policy about how long we had to use the waivers? Originally, it was one year from purchase, but I thought it was extended. When did you book your flight? Now I’m wondering if I’m wrong and we have to use ours sooner than I realized.

Delta is only offering change waivers for travel through September 30 or if you bought tickets after March 1. So, we are stuck with hundreds of dollars worth of lost tickets if we decide not to go in October. What I do not understand, is if you bought tickets during this pandemic you have flexibility through 2022. If you purchased them pre-pandemic you are just out of luck. I am trying very hard to remain optimistic, but yesterday's announcements, just kind of burst my bubble.
You could call and ask to apply for a refund. 800-221-1212 is the number I called. The agent could not issue a refund so I asked to speak to a supervisor about applying for a refund. She was able to issue the refund immediately. I had the confirmation email in my inbox before the call ended.
**Edit: Note I purchased my tickets in February for travel in April.

I bought our tickets in January for travel in October. Since the current waiver extends for travel through September 30, the only option we have is a $200 per ticket change fee and new travel must be completed by January 9, 2021 (one year from date of original ticket being issued) and a possible fare increase. I have only talked to one Delta agent, I may get a different option if I try again. For now, I will sit and wait to see how things play out.

I bought our tickets in January for travel in October. Since the current waiver extends for travel through September 30, the only option we have is a $200 per ticket change fee and new travel must be completed by January 9, 2021 (one year from date of original ticket being issued) and a possible fare increase. I have only talked to one Delta agent, I may get a different option if I try again. For now, I will sit and wait to see how things play out.
Ok, I understand now. I misunderstood your travel dates. I thought your flight dates had already passed. I hope it works out. I might keep contacting and push for a refund. It might not be possible, but you never know.

We have JetBlue tix for July 14 out of JFK to mco and don't know if.travel restriction will be lifted.

We were scheduled to fly out of LGA at the end of August. Yesterday, I decided to cancel our trip and was able to get the funds moved to a travel credit. We will hopefully use those funds for our January trip.

I purchased four tickets at the end of April from Delta on a gamble that we would be able to go on our Disney trip from July 3 - July 11. I was a really good rate so I decided to chance it. Well, as we all know that did not work out. I will just have to cancel them and use the e-credit later. But, does anyone know if the e-credit has to be used by the original ticket holders? My husband and I may go on a trip next spring and would love to be able to use all of the credit on two tickets.

We were scheduled to fly out of LGA at the end of August. Yesterday, I decided to cancel our trip and was able to get the funds moved to a travel credit. We will hopefully use those funds for our January trip.

Same - just cancelled our July trip ( got full refund for park tix) and going to use jb credit for trip next summer - if the guidelines go somewhat back to what they used to be

When our flight on American was cancelled for April 2020, all we could get were vouchers, refund wasn't an option.
We've now rebooked for April 2021. To my surprise, the April 2021 tickets were cheaper than April 2020 tickets.
We now have a voucher credit that will probably expire before we can use it unless they are wiling to extend it.

We used our delta credit from what was supposed to be a nyc flight to fly one way to Orlando for spring break in March. We always fly southwest but delta was best to nyc. I will prob get a return flight on southwest whenever they become available. Idk what we will do in Orlando - Disney Vs Universal? Something else? But we will have a spring break of some kind I hope. We still have a September trip to Disney with southwest flights. Prob will upgrade to season passes if we decide to do Disney again in March.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter