Anyone else who might be priced out?

Poohbear03

Mouseketeer
Hi everyone. I was really looking forward to booking another trip for next year but now I am not sure. I love Disney World and only stay onsite however, my husband doesn’t share my love and it has been hard enough to convince him to go in the past and now that prices are even higher it might be a hard sell. Most all of my our stays have been moderates, he definitely won’t stay at a value and deluxe resorts have always been pricey for our budget but now the new moderate prices are much more. I am not looking forward to sharing the new prices....just wanted to vent a little.....I knew there would be a price increase, I was just hoping it wouldn’t be this much.

My husband likes Disney but he can't do it every year, plus, you can go other places for so much cheaper. I know its a bummer for people who like to go every year but if it were me, I would just save up for every other year. Or every three years or whatever fits your schedule and budget.

We did 9 at Contemporary at WDW last year and have 6 days at Disneyland hotel this year and there will be no more Disney for us until 2022 and then again at DL in 2023. (unless my youngest has an extra school trip to Disneyland, we are on the west Coast) For us we dont want to go value at WDW so we will space it out and go big-biggish every time we go.

My husband likes Disney but he can't do it every year, plus, you can go other places for so much cheaper. I know its a bummer for people who like to go every year but if it were me, I would just save up for every other year. Or every three years or whatever fits your schedule and budget.

We did 9 at Contemporary at WDW last year and have 6 days at Disneyland hotel this year and there will be no more Disney for us until 2022 and then again at DL in 2023. (unless my youngest has an extra school trip to Disneyland, we are on the west Coast) For us we dont want to go value at WDW so we will space it out and go big-biggish every time we go.
We have only been 3 times in 14 years unfortunately, that was all our budget allowed to begin with. I do feel blessed we have been able to go at all some people never get the opportunity to go at all. We will see what happens in the future:

We've never been every year visitors. More like every 3 years. In the off years we go other places and you definitely get more bang for your buck outside of WDW.

I did Disney last year with just DD12 (my son went for his senior trip a few months prior and my SO didn't want to go with just us girls) and had a fabulous time but right now our next vacations will most likely be Puerto Rico and Italy. I just priced out 9 days at POFQ for a family of four at about 5500. That's just one room. I would prefer two rooms with my kids since they are teens. This doesn't even include food, flights or drinks. No extra add ons. 9 days in Puerto Rico with flights and a beautiful Airbnb is about 2600. Yes we have to pay for food and entertainment but I'm pretty sure we will be at about 5K and that's 9 days. I've priced out Italy for 10 days and with flights and hotels we are also at around 3000. Add in food and entertainment and I think we may still be around 6K. Rough estimates. Two years ago we did Dominican Republic for a week for half the price of a Disney vacation. Same with Mexico. There are tons of great places that will give you way more bank for your buck than a Disney vacation.

Some like to compare a week at a value resort without park hoppers, packing food for the parks, no TS restaurants, no extras with a week at a 5 star resort in Europe or the Caribbean and say you can definitely do Disney cheaper than a non Disney vacation. But you aren't doing a fair comparison IMO. A value resort is not on the same level as a true 5 star resort and let's not get started on the food quality. You definitely get more bang for your buck outside of Disney.

When I go on vacation I like to immerse myself in the vacation so when I do Disney I "have" to stay onsite. I don't mind doing Airbnb's when I go to other vacation destinations. As long as I immerse myself in that destination. To me staying onsite at Disney is part of the vacation. If the only way I can afford Disney is to stay offsite I'll choose a whole other destination and that's exactly what I'll be doing.

With that said I still want to do Disney again. I don't wish for a recession but the next recession may be the next time we head to WDW. WDW will be forced to offer deals at that time. Or if we can swing it maybe 2022 or 2023 because we truly LOVE Disney but as of right now I can't justify the cost when there are so many beautiful places in the world yet to be seen at much better prices.

[QUOTELOVE Disney but as of right now I can't justify the cost when there are so many beautiful places in the world yet to be seen at much better prices[/QUOTE]
This is exactly our feelings as a family. I am really glad I booked the free dining deal for this summer over the winter, because it was a great deal and we likely won't be able to go back for several more years. I love WDW. I practically grew up in WDW growing up and I am so fortunate for that. But with the pricing going up so much---and then Disney starting to nickel and dime every experience they can, we can take that money and show our kids the rest of the world.

We alternate...spend 3-4K on a California tour, Rocky Mountains, England, Mediterranean...but those trips take SO much planning- we love them but can’t do them back to back- we like to go to Disney every 3-4 years- time for something new to be added. We save by not paying for cable, keeping cars 15 years, and not eating out much, see maybe 2 movies a year- there are lots of ways to save $1000 in 12 months. Disney is just an easy diversion for us where we enjoy being together as a family without all the logistical issues of traveling on our own.

I think this last round of price increases may be enough to send me off property. As much as I love the bubble, I'm not paying almost $300 for a room at a moderate when I could stay at a nicer hotel in the area for much less money and still get 60-day fastpasses. Of course, I'm just waiting for the other shoe to drop and for them to announce a paid fastpass system. That might break my Disney spirit for good.

Last edited:

We do it every other year....WDW or DLR We will never be priced out. We save and i work overtime to cover any and all increases. We stay value if needed to save money and never buy hoppers. There is too many easy ways to save for disney. Its just pure will. If we had to, we would stay offsite. But frankly ill work more overtime to stay on..We love the values. I would not consider staying higher up than the moderates. We will do say, POFQ when we get a good pin or such..or just use that pin for a value. We don't do many sit down meals...mostly CS. Sometimes a ADR though. Many many ways to save $$

I've gone to WDW once as a family trip to Florida with three days going to the parks and other half day excursions when part of my family was living down there. I'm at the point in my life where i can afford to take the extended family on an 11 day onsite vacation. I think once this upcoming trip is complete I'll most likely plan a smaller Universal trip for next year and maybe Disney once every 5 years. Who knows, I might get bit by the bug and need to go sooner. Also there are so many options for Disney with DL, DCL, Tokyo Disney, and Aulani I don't have to go back to WDW even though it will always have a place in my heart as the first Disney park I had gone to.

I'm fairly confident discounts will be back. There might be less of them for the next year or two with the opening of Galaxy's Edge, and if that's the case, I'll wait until the discounts are back to go back. I've never paid rack rate and don't plan on it.

Most all of my our stays have been moderates, he definitely won’t stay at a value

This I don't understand if you are staying moderate then just go with the renting DVC through this forum instead. I would either stay DVC or go Value.

7 nights at OKW in summer (2nd expensive season) would be $231/night while going during slow season would be $162/night. So with that being said if you are planning way out ahead anyways for Disney then just get a travel insurance policy to help you recover the money if the worst happens.

Most all of my our stays have been moderates, he definitely won’t stay at a value

Why not? Pop is just as nice at the moderates that I've stayed at, actually nicer now since the remodel.

As a matter of fact, there is one moderate that I just can't stand and will never return to. I would rather stay at the All Stars than CBR.

However, I do agree the prices are getting out of hand. If we are not staying in our camper, at Fort Wilderness (which has also gotten insanely pricey, but you can have 10 people,) we only go when they are having Florida resident or passholder specials and stay in the values.

Just five years ago, I regularly paid $65 night at Pop, or the All Stars, with specials. Now, the cheapest I can find Pop during specials is about $130 per night or so. I know those prices are still cheap in comparison to most resorts, but more than double in 5 years is kind of ridiculous.

Last edited:
We've been fortunate to go for 6 years straight. We've stayed at POP with Bounce back offers (room discount). Last year's stay was Bounce back offer for free dining. This year free dining. Already discussing not going next year. Watching all the price increases, not sure if is doable. We will see if a Bounce back offer is out for next year, and compare. The discount offered will have to be more than current increase to even consider it. It makes me sad, I've been coming to Disney since 1975 and all but one stay has been on property.q

We are going 3 weeks in October and are spending half the nights at Pop and half at Universal Endless Summer. Pop is 160 a night excluding taxes and Universal Endless Summer 105. It's the first time ever we are staying at a Universal resort (we are also going to HHN multiple nights). Unless Disney is still going to offer a discount, then I might stay the entire trip at Pop.

We are just about there, priced out. My family loved Disney, adn we go often, at least once every other year, but have been going yearly for the most part. For us, ther eneeds to be a balance between the destination and the cost, so once the value for the money seems to be diminished, it's time to move on.

Lately, we find that for the value, Aruba is spot on for us. I can keep the cost the same per person per day, which is how I cost out our trips anywhere, and my family has an all inclusive experience in a space that is larger than my home.

I know that for some, the increases are just a blip, and that they can go by compromising on dining, lodging, etc, however for my family that is the issue. I do nto want to compromise our vacation amenities in order to accomodate wat I feel to be exhorbitant prices increases. You see, I feel that the across the board cuts in what used to be included in the admission, hikes in lodging and food, and reduction in staff and attraction capacity is beginnning to diminish the return I always felt we got from a Disney vacation.

I am not saying we wont return, but I am saying that WDW is no longer our primary destination, and much of that circles around the cost increases for what we gain in return.

If you want to keep going often, try to try something different and go offsite. As you can see by my signature, I did that for many years and everyone really enjoyed it. You can pretty much get a super nice house with all the bells and whistles for a fraction of staying on site. If you have a few kids, having that house makes for a very comfortable trip. My family just rented 6 rooms at the Grand Floridian (we are staying close because two of our party have mobility issues and we want the monorail) but when I saw that I could have basically rented a whole "mansion" for us at $400 per night, I got a little sick. This house was NICE.

The only drawback of course is that you have to drive into the park and pay parking daily. As long as you get a good rental location, it can be quite easy to do and there are some definite plusses to having a car.

It might be a nice compromise for you and you should definitely try it once if you are a routine Disney visitor.

We might be. I pay for the family vacations to Disney for my DD, DSIL and 2 DGD. Planning a trip next April and was counting on the TA exclusive deal we got last trip. saw rumors on Sunday that other sites are saying that those discounts may not happen in 2020. If that is the case, not sure we can afford to go. I am retiring next March and promised the grands a celebration trip to WDW; we have not been since November 2016 and this trip was going to be the last for quite awhile.

if we can't afford Disney, it's likely to be an NCL cruise to Bermuda; we live outside Boston so no airfare.

We have been going to WDW yearly for quite a few years. We are Florida residents and it is an easy, nice getaway for us. We have AP’s and try to get the most use out of them. AKL and BW are our favorite resorts. One year we went 4 times and even had non-park trips. We always go to the F&W in the fall.

Earlier this year, we requested a quote for the fall from a travel agent that has gotten us good deals in the past. We were not happy with the quote. We are not economically priced out, just mentally priced out. Sticker shock. We have decided to go somewhere else for our fall trip.

We’re not interested in Star Wars. We probably won’t go again until Ratatouille opens.

Last edited:
Well we only go about every 3rd year but I pay for 8 people and the girls have fallen in love with the deluxe thing. One thing we are looking at thou. We normally star for 10-12 days. I am now pricing 8-9 days with 3 days at Universal. Not really my thing but the girls are running with the planning.

Disney seems overpriced for what you now get. Haven't been to Disney in many years, but we just went recently and have ZERO interest in going back anytime soon. Prices are so high and parks are so crowded it isn't the 'value' as in years past regardless of where you stay. Constantly raising prices on everything (tickets, parking, hotels, food......) in order to apparently manage attendance isn't working. None of us wanted to stand in line for any ride with lines over 60 minutes once we used up our 3 daily Fast Passes. Our general impression it was too expensive, too crowded and too hot to have any interest in going back. We can take TWO vacations at many others places we enjoy a lot more for the price of ONE Disney trip.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter