Anyone ever cruise solo??

solotraveler

DIS Veteran
Hello All!

Brand new to this forum, but very happy to find many solo travelers out there. As a veteran of 9 solo WDW trips myself, I understand how hard it is to find like-minded people.

I am seriously considering booking the 7-Day Western DCL itinerary in November. I was wondering if anyone out there has travelled solo on a Disney Cruise (or any other one for that matter.) I'm kind of on the fence about it. I have so greatly enjoyed my solo WDW experiences and would like to know if a solo cruise won't live up to my expectations.

Any advice or comments would be most appreciated!

Thanks,
SoloTraveler

Hi solotraveler--welcome to the DIS, I'm really glad you found us.

I haven't cruised solo. I met a few people on my September 7 day Western DCL cruise who were solo and I talked with them about it.

They said they loved cruising solo, so many things to do that they were never bored and so many nice people around them that they were never lonely.

The only issue they said that made cruising as a solo the least bit difficult was having to pay so much more to have a state room to themselves. You save quite a bit of money if you share a state room.

Let me know what you decide. I would love to read a trip report about a solo cruise.

Katholyn

I have cruised eight times, many have been solo.

All the cruises I have been on have had so many activities that you will never be bored, unless you want to be. ;)

Each time I have cruised solo I have let the cruise line match me up with a cabinmate. Your travel agent will help with that and ask a few questions to assist the match (age, smoking preference, etc.). Only once did the match not work out well (she smoked, I didn't) and both of us got a single cabin out of the deal.

As a single, you will most likely be assigned a dining table with other singles or age appropriate companions. The table assignments have always been good.

For activities, I have always taken part in shore tours, on-board sports activities, entertainment in the lounges and the discos. All lines will have activities for kids, adults and a mixed crowd. If you are sailing with DCL and don't want to be surrounded by little ones I'm sure you will have plenty of things to select from. If you'd prefer a more adult crowd, Royal Caribbean is a favorite of mine. The age range of passengers, ship amenities, crew and activities are very nice for the 30-50 (give or take a few years) crowd IMO. Carnival attracts a slightly younger, wilder crowd while NCL is more sedate.

I have yet to sail with DCL but people I have talked to really rave about it. The only thing that stops me from booking a cruise with them is the emphasis previous passengers place on "kids stuff". I suppose parents have a way of doing that since they are concerned with the little ones. I adore kids and love Disney theme parks but am not sure I want to be on a ship with lots of both for 7 days. Just my opinion.

Have not gone solo on a cruise before and have only just returned from my first DCL experience which we (2 adults, no kids)thoroughly enjoyed.

I'm happy enough soloing it at WDW and therefore I think if there were no other options for me then yes I'd solo cruise with DCL. Whilst there are a lot of children you don't see them, they have their own areas and not even their parents see much of them whilst they're on the cruise. There are a number of adult orientated activities, your own pool, a heavenly spa and a great adults only lounge bar at any time of the day.

I wish that they didn't charge so much for solo travellers. As Katholyn said they would be bound to sit you with other solo cruisers I think it would be fun.

Unfortunately the cost of cruising solo is prohibitive for me. I was lucky enough to win a cruise for 4 in February in order to take my sister and her three kids I had to pay a single supplement of almost $1400!

Last year I found it was cheaper to pay for one of my sisters to go with me then to pay for myself to go alone. Someday I hope the cruise lines will open rooms to singles close to sailing date for a reasonable rate. In my opinion singles are usually a little more flexible in being able to travel at the last moment.

DCL and the rest are you listening???

I love cruising as well and have done many but not solo. I have been thinking of this recently though. I am glad to see that someone posted this question because I did briefly have the thought about a Disney cruise. I was also thinking about being on the cruise with so many kids so needless to say I was glad to read the above responses.

In the past (having done 6 DCL cruises in less than a year and a half, with half of them solo) I <I>enjoyed</I> the freedom of cruising solo and was quite comfortable with it. My Wonder cruise a couple of weeks ago was a different story. The first night I discovered my tablemates consisted of ONE family, so I was the "intruder" in their "family experience." They then requested their table be for their "family only," so for the rest of the cruise I was assigned my own personal table (always the best location though and with my favorite server) ALL BY MYSELF. Fortunately, the second evening, a ship's officer (Jose, Forward Engineer) dined with me. The next night I ended up conspicuously alone, with many people staring at me wondering about the situation. So the final evening I invited my friend Colleen (onboard cruise sales) to join me. She was given permission to do so and I enjoyed her company and conversation. I have 3 more DCL cruises booked and paid for, but have decided to add another person to those where I don't have dining ressies linked to friends aboard.

This is NOT to say that you will encounter a problem like mine if cruising solo. My previous solo sailings were no problem. I am only presenting my situation to make people aware that it COULD happen to them. If you are going solo, the <I>safest</I> move is to link your dinner ressies with someone you know . . . unless you don't mind risking the remote chance of being the only one in a crowded dining room with a table to yourself! :eek:

I have cruised solo before and totally enjoyed it. I love being able to go and do what I want when I want to. At lunch in the dining rms they have a singles table, it usually has a couple ship officers there and single parents. I requested dining at a large table that way I got to know other passengers and could meet up with them if I so desired.

I am toying with the idea of trading my DVC points for the Alaska cruise next summer--solo. (I usually travel with my sister in the summer, but she doesn't like boats.) I've travelled to Disney on many occasions solo, and love it. Has anyone done the Alaska cruise solo?

Originally posted by Mimi B
I am toying with the idea of trading my DVC points for the Alaska cruise next summer--solo. (I usually travel with my sister in the summer, but she doesn't like boats.) I've travelled to Disney on many occasions solo, and love it. Has anyone done the Alaska cruise solo?
\

Not yet, but I'm trying.

I went to Alaska in '01 with my parents. I really wanted to go back solo in '02, but I had 2 coworkers on maternity leave that summer. This summer I got nervous about travelling that far from home alone (with everything going on in the world) and next summer I have a Carribean Cruise planned with family. So, I'm looking at '05 at this point.

Needless to say I LOVED it and can't wait to go back. I've never cruised solo and I think I'd be a little uncomfortable at the dinner table with strangers, but the cruise would be worth it.

Deb

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter