Anyone ever exchanged to Destin?

disneyfanforever

DIS Veteran
My family just joined, and they love to go to Destin. I know there is a great beachfront resort in Vero Beach, but Destin is a lot closer to home. Has anyone done an exchange to the Bay Club at Sandestin? I know it would have to be done through an exchange. Has anyone heard whether it is nice or not? Thanks in advance!

The best resort in the Panhandle is Marriott's Legends Edge but it is not a beach resort. Don't know much from first hand knowlegde but it would appear that Bay Club and Holiday Beach are the best for Destin. Fairfield is building in that area also but trades through RCI, Fairfield Destin at Majestic Sun. I don't think Bay Club is on the beach either, I've heard it's across the road from the beach. Holiday Beach is on the Beach. I'd also consider Escapes in Orange Beach, AL. I don't know all that much about it but it looks interesting. It's part of the former Coopershares group which is apparently a private ownership that have previously not been affiliated with an exchange company. I think they were marketed to companies and executives and a few of their resorts have recently joined II. Here is an email I got from them just today as I was intersted in finding out more about Escapes.
You can visit our website (www.EscapesVacations.com) and click on Orange
Beach to see some of the amenities
we have to offer. Also for availability please call 1-800-COOPER4. They can
send you any brochures, etc.
Thank you for your interest in our facility. If I can be of any service to
you, please do not hesitate to call 1-800-8796979.
Jay Herring
Contracts Administrator

Overall you need to decide what's the most important factors to include location, beach orientations, quality of the resort, unit size, etc. Personally in your situation I'd likely try to find a fairfield owner who wants to trade and see if you can work out something. Start with Lisa P. of this board, she's a former DVC owners and current FF owner and I'm sure she'd love to work out a trade with you. If she can't for some reason, there will be others interested. The Marriott will be the best resort but it's not a beach experience, more of a golf resort.

We have not been to Destin so my info would be secondhand (TUG Reviews) about the resorts there. However, I can tell you a few things I didn't know until recently about the resorts there. I agree with Dean, that the new Marriott would probably be the most luxurious resort, though it's a golf resort, not a beachy place. Holiday Beach Resort (RCI) is the only one that seems to be directly on the beach, without having to walk across the street.

Fairfield now manages at least part of Bay Club (a VRI resort) and Club Destin (independent), since they're both listed on the FF website now as FF managed properties. The new FF Destin at Majestic Sun sounds wonderful, definitely up to FF standards. Like the others, it does require a walk across the street to the beach but, all rooms have an ocean view. Between that and it being brand new, I'd choose either Holiday Beach Resort or FF Destina at MS, personally. Both trade through RCI.

Here are some websites, with more info. I've noticed that they all say they have a beach onsite - don't know if these resorts own any land on the beach side of the street so that they can claim that. :confused:

RCI # 6053 --or-- Fairfield Destin at Majestic Sun

RCI # 1109 or # 6418 --or-- Holiday Beach Resort

RCI # 0675 --or-- Bay Club of Sandestin - VRI --or-- Bay Club - Fairfield

Club Destin (trades through II) --or-- Club Destin - Fairfield

As Dean mentioned, we own FF points and I would consider an exchange, so feel free to write me with specifics for the week (dates & unit size) that might interest you, just to explore options. Also, TUG does have a classified section listing other owners who may be able to provide a direct exchange as well. Hope that helps! :) :D

Lisa P. --- potter@a-o.com

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter