Anyone ever move to Orlando just to be closer to Disney?

kristin t

Mouseketeer
I'm seriously considering doing this, and just wanted any feedback from anyone who may have done this.
Thanks!

I'm seriously considering doing this, and just wanted any feedback from anyone who may have done this.
Thanks!
You might want to check on the Community Board where you'll probably get more responses. :thumbsup2

I moved here in 2004 but it had nothing to do with Disney or Universal and with the state of the economy and jobs being so scarce in this area, unless you have something lined up it may be a huge mistake to move here just because of Disney.

I moved to Florida to be closer to Disney and for the weather. I was just lucky that I got a GREAT job in Orlando and was able to purchase a home close to the parks!

I don't regret it at all.

We are considering moving to the Orlando area so that we can be closer. DH has a job that is in great need in this area. We really want to be in a warmer climate also. The housing market is much cheaper than were we live and we someone who wants to rent our house so it seems to be a no brainer.

We are considering moving to the Orlando area so that we can be closer. DH has a job that is in great need in this area. We really want to be in a warmer climate also. The housing market is much cheaper than were we live and we someone who wants to rent our house so it seems to be a no brainer.

But wont you miss the ice storms? ;)

I lived in Orlando for a year and just didn't care for it very much. You have to remember you are LIVING there, not on vacation there. We lived in the Tampa area before and after Orlando and loved it. I interviewed for a job in Orlando about two years ago and my wife and I decided we just wouldn't want to live there full-time (although we would LOVE to be back in Florida). Both then and now, we loved visiting Orlando but would not want to live there again.

I would not move here without a guaranteed job!

I moved b/c both my husband and I were able to get job transfers but we both took paycuts and b/c we bought a bigger house here, we don't really get cheaper housing costs, lol. It is nice not paying state taxes though.

I did it for a few years.

It's a lot of fun as a single young adult, but I wouldn't want to raise a family there. I worked for Disney and while I loved it, I lost a lot of the magic. I decided to move away and still plan to return as a guest, but don't particularly see myself working there for awhile.

It's fun to do once, but I couldn't imagine settling down there, at least not IN Orlando. Some of the outer suburbs are pretty nice and less touristy.

We have considered moving to Florida, but not necessarily Orlando. Personally, I would love to live as close to the beach as possible, even if it means an hour drive or two Disney (much closer than we are now!) I have a job that allows me to work from anywhere, so picking up and moving is not an issue. Our main issue is leaving family, especially my grandma who would be heartbroken if we left (It is hard enough for her only seeing us once a week, so we are looking to purchase a house in her neighborhood, instead. One of these days we will probably live in FL though.)

We have very good friends who did exactly that in early 2007 (moved from Seattle). The husband is a math teacher and the wife works at DAK. When we go to WDW, we stay with them in Kissimmee.

They are trying to get us to move down there, too, but I don't think we could do it.......but we sure do love visiting them (and Disney!)

I moved here 3 years ago to be closer to family and Disney. It's wonderful being close enough to the parks just to hop over and see the new HM queue or something like that, but as others have said-it's living, not vacation. You still have to do all the other annoying things that you do now-work, clean, do laundry, grocery shop...

As far as having a job, I came with one and got laid off a year later. The job market is not great here-about 12% in the Central Florida area.

I live in Kansas City - have all of my 49 years...

Last May, we visited Ft. Myers for vacation - and ended up buying a house by the end of the week! Gulp! We're close to the beach and it's awesome.

I'll have to admit that when it dawned on me that I could be in Orlando with a 3-hour drive - as opposed to a 3-hour flight - I was very giddy!

We're lucky, though...we're retired and we can spend time at either house based on the weather. Don't know that I'd want to live any closer to Orlando - I'm partial to the ocean and the beach! :)

I lived there for about a year and a half in the 2005-2006 timeframe. While I LOVED being able to hop over to the parks whenever I could, I have to say that I truly missed my family, and the New England landscape. I lived in a condo out by the airport on Semoran Blvd, and let's just say - it sure wasn't disney property......:sad2:

After the year and a half, I had to come back up to Maine to care for my ailing Mom, and I'm actually very glad I did (Glad that I came back, not that my Mom was ill!!). I ended up with a much better job, close to my family, and Disney is still the special, magical place I'm sure it will always be in my heart. :cloud9:

I would think the Magic would start to go away if you lived in the Orlando area. Planning the trip, and making the drive is half the fun.:wizard:

I would think the Magic would start to go away if you lived in the Orlando area. Planning the trip, and making the drive is half the fun.:wizard:

For some people maybe,I'm in Miami and have AP's to all the Florida parks and although I go fairly often it's still not anywhere as much as I want to go,there's always special events and things happening that being 4 hours away prevents me from going as much as I want.How many days in the summer would I love to have a waterpark to just go for 4-5 hours to cool off,down here the closest waterpark is still 1.5 hours away in West Palm,or to go to Epcot at 4pm to catch a concert at the F&W festival.There was a time I used to do day trips getting up at 4:30 am to get to the parks at least around 10am or so,I would spend all day at the parks and have the long drive home getting home at 2 am after walking all day and not sleeping much,not fun or safe.I rarely if ever do that anymore as I'll go for 2-3 days minimum.In the long run I know I'm going to have to move closer,if not right in the Orlando metro area,at least under 2 hours away.So the drive I would never miss,the planning,that's easy for me I could plan out my days the night before,I know at least for me at some point I'll have to be closer.

I have thought about retiring there and maybe getting a greeter job or something..Just to keep me from getting bored...:dance3::dance3::dance3:

Unless you have employment lined up there is no way I'd consider it. The economy is horrible around Orlando. Jobs are extremely scarce and pay isn't great. My husband read a report about the homeless rate among Oceola County public schools - 20%. Crime is bad in many areas (not that Chattanooga isn't having their own issues lately).

My mom lives in Clermont - I've often thought about it, we love to visit, but ultimately its not a place I'd want to raise my kids.

We'd love to move closer but I'm in the oil patch here in Canada and there isn't much demand for my skills in Florida. We've considered Houston or Dallas which would get us a bit closer. DW has all of her family here which makes it tough for her. If I were single I'd do it in a heart beat...but if I were single who would I go do WDW with?

We plan to do the snowbird thing and spend about half the year in central FL once the kids are grown, but I do think it'll take some of the magic out of Disney visits. It is so special for us because it is so different from the everyday and so much planning and anticipation goes into each trip. Popping over for an afternoon just wouldn't be the same!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter