Anyone ever taken an Adult trip with someone that they don't know well?

jjan

DIS Veteran
So, I've gone and done something a bit crazy and without a lot of forethought. I have invited a very new-to-me female friend along on a trip at the end of September into October. I am 47 and she is likely 15+ years older than me. My time of going full gangbusters around the park for 12+ hours are in my past (but I do meticulously do rope-drop) and I am very experienced with WDW and solo/adult trips. She is somewhat recently widowed, post-cancer and post knee replacement so she may have mobility issues with so much walking in the parks. I do feel like I am an easy going person and will enjoy seeing someone else experience Disney (she hasn't been in ~20 years), but I do kind of have my routines/ ways of doing the parks.

My question is... has anyone ever been in this type of situation, how did it go, any suggestions, things to avoid? We have meet a couple times to talk about what things are import to her, types of rides that she thinks that she will like and we seem very similar. I will be booking all of the FastPasses, etc. We will likely not have a lot of time between now and the trip to really get to know each other and/or become close as we are both very busy. We are staying in separate rooms at Pop and have both expressed the "well, if you want to do something different or I want to do something different, it will be easy to split up, etc.". Any suggestions or horror stories are welcomed.
😊

So, I've gone and done something a bit crazy and without a lot of forethought. I have invited a very new-to-me female friend along on a trip at the end of September into October. I am 47 and she is likely 15+ years older than me. My time of going full gangbusters around the park for 12+ hours are in my past (but I do meticulously do rope-drop) and I am very experienced with WDW and solo/adult trips. She is somewhat recently widowed, post-cancer and post knee replacement so she may have mobility issues with so much walking in the parks. I do feel like I am an easy going person and will enjoy seeing someone else experience Disney (she hasn't been in ~20 years), but I do kind of have my routines/ ways of doing the parks.

My question is... has anyone ever been in this type of situation, how did it go, any suggestions, things to avoid? We have meet a couple times to talk about what things are import to her, types of rides that she thinks that she will like and we seem very similar. I will be booking all of the FastPasses, etc. We will likely not have a lot of time between now and the trip to really get to know each other and/or become close as we are both very busy. We are staying in separate rooms at Pop and have both expressed the "well, if you want to do something different or I want to do something different, it will be easy to split up, etc.". Any suggestions or horror stories are welcomed.
😊

I actually did a trip with someone on here last year, meeting up once before and it went well. The important part is to do some preplanning and make sure both your tastes are reflected, particularly with dining. With her mobility issues, you may want to check into an ecv, if necessary, as well as Disney's disability services(they may have some suggestions for someone in her condition but not fully disabled).

I invited my now husband when we'd only known each other like 3 weeks....i think by the time we took the trip we had known each other 6 or 7 weeks?

He was already in Orlando for the PGA show, so he extended his trip to Orlando a few days.

Obviously the trip went well...

Many years back, I started chatting with a guy funny enough because of Disney... we met for the first time in person at WDW- he flew in from the north and I drove from the south - 20 years and a couple of relationships later we are still close friends and laugh about it every time we get together (at least once a year) where it all started - most magical place in the world ;)

I once traveled with my boss on a trip. She was much more driven than me. We woke up early and started together in the mornings. After lunch I bid my farewells and went back to the hotel for a swim and rest while she continued on. We then met back up for a late dinner and returned to the hotel together. Worked great for us.

Never Disney, but I went to a music festival with a girl I had only met once.Spent a week together a few 1000 miles from home. Worked out well, but I can get along with anyone.

I met one of my close friends for the first time at WDW. We had met in a forum like this and we planned for 2 years to do an official meet at WDW. I would say it had its ups and downs. I'm single with no kids and she's married with a daughter and while we got along, we had little in common other than Disney. I could tell that she missed her family being there because she couldn't stop talking about them and being that I didn't know them at all at the time, it kinda made me feel that she would rather be with them and I could have cared less what they would have liked or what they did last time etc... Also she was a smoker and I was not so I felt like we stopped and sat in the smoking section more than we did anything. One other thing, she was on a scooter and I was not so I tended to be more exhausted and probably crankier. I hope she never reads this lol. I have told her most of this stuff. We are still good friends but I don't know that meeting at Disney was the best thing because for me, it's SUCH an expensive trip to have to go around being mindful of a strangers needs ya know? This person and I have gone to Dollywood together, had a blast! Stayed in a cabin in the mountains together, had a blast! But WDW is your happy place and sometimes it's hard to share that one and cater to someone else while there. Even though I had more good times than bad and lots of laughs, I don't think I'd do it again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!