Anyone flown to WDW during Christmas?

DisneyHumbug

DIS Veteran
So far this is a "maybe" trip - since there'll be 16 of us it's major planning. When would you recommend buying tickets for travel during the Christmas holidays? Is it best to get them whenever they first go on sale?

We just spent our 9th Christmas at OKW. You should have bought your tickets last month. Seriously, we buy our as soon as possible-usually 330 days before your departure. Buy them as soon as possible because the longer you wait to purchase, the higher the price. I have already purchased tickets for this Christmas and everyone thinks that I am nuts but I am paying only $167 from Philadelphia to Orlando on US Air.

WE WENT AT CHRISTMAS FOR THE FIRST TIME THIS YEAR AND I BOUGHT OUR TICKETS IN AUGUST AND GOT A RATE OF AROUND 120/PERSON FROM KANSAS CITY TO JACKSONVILLE. WE FLEW IN THERE BECAUSE IT WAS SO MUCH CHEAPER THAT IT WAS WORTH A 3 HOUR DRIVE. I THINK THAT CHECKING TRAVELOCITY OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT FREQUENTLY IS HELPFUL. I HAVE BEEN WATCHING FOR THIS SUMMER AND TWICE THIS WEEK THEY HAVE SHOWN USAIR WITH RATES OF $102 ROUND TRIP BUT I AM TRYING TO COORDINATE AROUND A COUPLE OF FAMILIES AND HAVE MISSED THAT RATE BOTH TIMES, I AM GOING TO WAIT AND HOPEFULLY A GOOD RATE WILL SHOW UP AGAIN AND THEN I WILL GRAB IT AND THAT IS WHAT I WOULD SUGGEST EVEN FOR CHRISTMAS TIME. GOOD LUCK! WE WILL ALSO BE GOING BACK NEXT CHRISTMAS AND I PROBABLY WONT PLAN THAT TRIP UNTIL AUGUST AGAIN.

I travled to WDW over New Years (2001/2002) and we bought our airline tickets at the end of March last year. US Air was having a fare sale, around $300 per person (it was well over $500 before that). As a price comparison, we are going back this summer, and the fare is about $180. We also traveled to Disneyland over New Years (1999/2000) and around February I found a good fare on Delta for around $550 per person (typical fares are usually around $400). So, I do recommend booking early, especially for the holidays! Just make sure you watch the fares for a few days! :)

I usually buy our tickets at the 11 month window. For our trip 12/19/01 - 1/3/02 I played the waiting game. In late July I just happened to be at SWA's website. They were having an internet only special. Indianapolis to Orlando $81 round trip direct flight! (My parents are flying home from their winter stay in Florida next week..I got their SWA direct flights (one way) for $50 each!! I think I've found a new favorite airlines) We usually pay $175 - $200, so needless to say I grabbed 3 of those tickets right away. My son and I are headed to WDW in June and I haven't bought our tickets yet. Most of the specials are out for travel through June 5th or 7th. We need a few weeks later, so I'm trying to be patient. It's really killing me because I am a real planner and like to get things done as soon as possible.

We bought our tickets last August and those turned out to be the best prices. Are you all flying together? If so, definitely check into group rates. We took a trip with 10 total in 2000 and were able to get a very good group rate with United.

I always start checking for airfare ASAP. Check as often as you can, too, because some airfare specials are only posted for 24 hours and then they're gone. Persistence and patience are really key! We flew down on Dec. 19 last year from Kansas City to Tampa for $95/ticket. This particular fare showed up on Cheaptickets in August, but I would still recommend that you start looking now. Specials come and go all the time. Good luck! :)

I didn't know you could be considered a group with so few. We will either be 12 or 16 - so that's great news! My DB likes JetBlue, so he's waiting for them to go on sale - he called and they said another month or two. And my other DB has a credit on JetBlue - so he definitely wants JetBlue (IF he comes!). Thanks for the info, everyone.

Sometimes there are only a few seats at the lowest fare on any given flight, and if you ask for 16 tickets, they will quote a higher fare for all 16 seats.

Therefore you may want to think about split up the group and put some people on each of different flights. Then too, you may be lucky and find all 16 seats at the lowest fare on one flight.

Disney hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter