Anyone Get Grief for Old Dates on AP?

We always just go to a ticket window and get the new cards, usually it's our first day of the trip (as we aren't local either) so late afternoon and there is never a line and takes like 2 minutes at most to get them. No, they never tell you but it has a date and I figure if it's old I better get a new one. I've always been asked to show it and ID except at the Joffrey stand she just saw my slider and that was good enough.

I ran into this issue on my January trip. My AP expiration date is 12/27, so I hadn't been to the park after that until the January trip. I got about halfway through the trip using it for discounts before a CM noticed the dates on the card. I hadn't thought about looking at it. I was able to show the AP on my phone for that discount, and since I was in Epcot, I went over to Guest Relations and got a new card (there was a line, but it moved pretty fast).

We always get new cards.

If they don’t want to mail new cards then they need to set it up where they scan them ... they’ll know right away if valid or not .... and if they are smart they’ll track your purchases for future personalized offers.

Last edited:
We just came back from a trip and renewed our APs. I had to ask for the cards and the CM wrote our names on them, but no dates. Are dates required? I will just write them in with a sharpie if they are necessary.

We just came back from a trip and renewed our APs. I had to ask for the cards and the CM wrote our names on them, but no dates. Are dates required? I will just write them in with a sharpie if they are necessary.

Ours only have the years on them. I wouldn't bother putting any years or dates on it, unless you are asked about it.

QUOTE="grumpy28, post: 58990793, member: 149595"]We just came back from a trip and renewed our APs. I had to ask for the cards and the CM wrote our names on them, but no dates. Are dates required? I will just write them in with a sharpie if they are necessary.[/QUOTE]

Not your dates but are year dates there?

I used to write my date before MDE.

2A2EB321-7C3F-4A0D-94A5-0076F2B386BE.jpeg [

My first time renewing our AP I thought the original card was the only one available - if you didn't renew it wouldn't work anymore. lol When I saw there was a date on it, I stood in line at the MK ticket entrance and they issued new cards. It didn't take that long - but I'm never in a rush. It's a perk of being an AP holder - I go enough that I'm not on a time schedule.

QUOTE="grumpy28, post: 58990793, member: 149595"]We just came back from a trip and renewed our APs. I had to ask for the cards and the CM wrote our names on them, but no dates. Are dates required? I will just write them in with a sharpie if they are necessary.

Not your dates but are year dates there?

I used to write my date before MDE.

View attachment 310825 [[/QUOTE]

Ahhhh, you are awesome! I had never noticed those dates before, b/c last year when we bought APs, the CM wrote our expiration date on it with a sharpie. Glad to see I have dates on it so I don't get grief like the OP. Thanks!

We are heading home from a week at WDW and used our original cards all week long (parking and dining discounts, etc each day) and didn’t have an issue until today at World of Disney in Disney Springs. We were asked if we had a new card, said no but it’s still valid, and were still given the discount. No mention of how or where to get new cards.

For parking, they occasionally scanned my AP card. It would be nice if they could do that across the board for discounts - or just send new cards with renewals. It doesn’t seem to be a very clear process.

We have had the same cards since April 2016 and no one has said a thing about a new card to us. I didn’t even realize we had to get new ones each renewal oops. We go again in April so we could get new ones.

-I had never noticed those dates before, b/c last year when we bought APs, the CM wrote our expiration date on it with a sharpie.
It is not necessarily possible for the CM to write (or print) an accurate date on the AP card.

Why?
Because the new AP activation procedure is that when you activate the AP at Guest Relations or a ticket booth and pick up a new AP card, the AP is NOT YET ACTIVATED.
The guest must enter a WDW park gate in order for the AP to start its year of counting down.
So, if the guest picks up an AP card for a brand new AP on, say, Aug. 1, 2018 the AP is still not "activated."
If the guest, then finally (two days later) enters a WDW park on Aug. 3, 2018, the AP is THEN "activated"
and will be valid through the end of the day on Aug. 3, 2019. That means that the CM could n to have known what date to "write" on the AP card at the time it was issued to the guest.
If a guest wants an accurate date on the AP card, the guest must remember to write it manually
after entering a park.
(The accurate AP anniversary date will be reflected in the guest's MDX account.)

I really wish they would just put in a finger scanner at the registered and let you scan your band for the discount. This trip we had to keep pulling up our MDX account on the phone. With the spotty coverage and the app taking a while it was a bit frustrating for the CMs when there was a line behind us. We don’t carry the cards.

DW and I renewed our APs at Epcot a few weeks ago. Just walked up to a ticket window a little after 10am. They gave us new cards this year. They have the '2018-2019' date on them The CM wrote our first name on the card. My guess is that we'll keep that card for two years.

Next time you enter a park make a quick stop at a ticket window and ask for a new card.

We never liked the old wrist magic bands so we just carry our cards. I like seeing it each time I open my wallet.

I have always been asked to show my card, even when I forget to ask for the discount and the CM notices the slider, they always ask to see the card and an ID. I just stop by a ticket window on my way into the park. We are also from out of town but drive down so we get there around 2 or 3. We just go to a park for the afternoon and around that time there is rarely anyone standing at the ticket booths.

We always get ours at the International Gateway entrance at Epcot. Very rarely a line there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts