Anyone get surprise with their AncestryDNA results?

I have a question, I'm still waiting for my ancestry DNA packet to arrive in the mail (just purchased it a few days ago). I'm adopted and have no idea about my biological parents. I'm very interested to know my ethnicity, but a little hesitant to actually contact any relatives. How do you contact them, through website, phone, email, snail mail? I don't want any of my adoptive family to know.

I have a question, I'm still waiting for my ancestry DNA packet to arrive in the mail (just purchased it a few days ago). I'm adopted and have no idea about my biological parents. I'm very interested to know my ethnicity, but a little hesitant to actually contact any relatives. How do you contact them, through website, phone, email, snail mail? I don't want any of my adoptive family to know.

Ancestry has its own message system- sort of like here- you would log on and see that you have a message. In fact you don't even have to go by your "real" name- I use Aprilgail on there rather than my real name.

A couple more surprises:

1) My Dad's ancestry has some Persian and Ukrainian ancestry. We're not sure where that came from.

2) My wife's family has some North African (Mediterranian coast) and Greek ancestry. We're not sure where either of that comes from.

Yes. My mom's side of the family always alleged to have native american blood, and she does tan super easily, which I did not inherit as an expressed trait at all. My grandfather wrote geneology books when he had to fly around to get info - before the internet and never found that link, but it continued to be a common thought in the family. I figured I'd have an "interesting" genetic history due to the colorful nature of my ancestors - bootleggers, gun runners, criminals expelled to the colonies, horse thieves - you know the kind of people that would not draw a distinct heritage. While I was in the hospital for 8 weeks I found out about a lot of really rare genetic attributes I had so I did the DNA thing - I'm the MOST BASIC white girl on the planet. All English/Irish/Norman French and the northern european countries. I thought I'd be more interesting. I'm definitely not.

I am still waiting on my results but will be very surprised if it comes back with anything other the Irish, Italian and Welsh.

Well color me surprised when it came back only 2% Irish and 2% Italian. Mostly Great Britain which makes sense from my mothers side. But it is odd since my last name originated in Ireland.

Did mine and got a big surprise. 64% Great Britain, 12% Europe West, 9% Italy/Greece, 8% Scandinavian, 2% Iberian Peninsula, 1% Europe East, 1% Finland, <1% Ireland, <1% West Asia. I knew about the German but was very surprised about the Great Britain. Just ordered a genealogy program to get started on the research. Should be fun.

I did the test that was a Christmas gift through Ancestry DNA. I was a little surprised that I was kind of bored at the results! And that I would have so many little minor percentages from so many regions. Nothing was really wow, I knew I would have mostly European.

My results were 27% Italy/Greece, 29% Great Britain, 18% West Europe, Ireland 9%, and then the other % were from various regions, North African, Middle Eastern, Caucasus, Iberian, European Jew, Eastern European, Finland.

Mine came back as: 2% Africa North, Europe West 29%, Ireland 27%, Scandinavia 22%, Great Britain 10%, Italy/Greece 6% and Iberian Peninsula 4%. I thought I was part Native American and was surprised by the higher % of Ireland and Scandinavia.

I know a bunch of us purchased the reduced AncestryDNA before Xmas.

I got my results part was just as I thought. I am 60% Irish, but who in Boston isn't :rotfl:

The other did surprise me. I was always told I was German descent. Well surprise surprise. I am actually of Russian descent with 4% is West Asian.

Anyone else get a surprise?

shocked. my whole life i thought i was almost half mexican. whelp, not ANY latin anything. mostly eastern european and british. my grandmother must have cheated on my grandfather...because he was 100% mexican. mind blown!

Hi. I am looking to purchase Ancestry.com or 23andme for my mom, dd and myself. My biological grandmother was adopted.
I'm thinking my mom and dd will get Ancestry.com and I really want 23andme for health information. Has anyone used both or used
23andme. I did a search but every thread that has me or 23 in it is coming up.

Also, for those that purchased ancestry.com, what plan did you do? All access?

Thanks.

I got my results today! (being adopted I have nothing to compare it to) I'm thrilled with the results of course! 32% Italy/Greece, 21% European Jewish, 17% Europe East, 10% Europe West, and then a little West Asia, Great Britain, Scandinavia, Finland. My closest genetic match was 3rd cousin, so I'm not too sure if I'll actually find my birth parents.

I got my results today! (being adopted I have nothing to compare it to) I'm thrilled with the results of course! 32% Italy/Greece, 21% European Jewish, 17% Europe East, 10% Europe West, and then a little West Asia, Great Britain, Scandinavia, Finland. My closest genetic match was 3rd cousin, so I'm not too sure if I'll actually find my birth parents.

I found mine through a 3rd cousin! Are you on facebook? If so there is a group called DNA detectives that are VERY helpful and also Search Squad- they are all volunteers and help out for free.

I got a surprise, for sure!

My sister and I both did Ancestry DNA tests. My ethnicity results were about what I expected -- mainly German/French ("Western Europe" in Ancestry.com parlance), Great Britain and a little dash of Scandinavian. My sister, however, had 15% Irish thrown in. The test confirmed that we're full sisters and we weren't surprised to see very different ethnicity results because we know that it can vary widely between siblings (since you each get half of each parent's DNA, but not necessarily the SAME half). The thing was, we had a family tree completed all the way back to the 1600's with nary a single Irish ancestor!

The answer to the riddle: to our utter shock, our maternal grandfather was not our grandfather! A mysterious "first cousin" match on my Ancestry match list turned out to be a half-aunt I'd never heard of, who was equally mystified and willing to collaborate with me to figure out how we were so closely related. Our investigation revealed that the mystery cousin's father, and my grandmother, had worked at the same place in the months before my mother was conceived. Subsequent tests on other relatives confirmed that the mystery cousin's father was actually my mother's biological father. Not surprisingly, his heritage was about 50% Irish, which explained my sister's ethnicity results.

Had we not had that "mystery cousin" match, we'd have dismissed the ethnicity results as invalid. I'm glad we didn't!

Has anyone done 23 and me?

Does it allow you to contact potential relatives like Ancestry DNA?

I recently got my results and they were surprising. I'm adopted so I didn't know my ethnicity. I'm very fair-skinned, blond hair/blue eyes, so I naively assumed my heritage was British, Irish, maybe Western Europe or even Scandinavian. My results came back 40% European Jewish. Quite a surprise for this Southern Baptist gal. I'm so happy I did the test.

Has anyone done 23 and me?

Does it allow you to contact potential relatives like Ancestry DNA?
It does. https://customercare.23andme.com/hc/en-us/articles/221689668-Relatives-In-Common-Tool

But if I were looking for relatives I would still do AncestryDNA as there are more people who use that one and also more who are looking for relatives. 23&me is mostly used for health info. You might find a match there if your relative used 23&me. Right now the most popular/widely used one is Ancestry so your odds are better with that. I bought 23&me for health info but my husband was more interested in finding relatives so I got ancestry for him.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!