Anyone have a goldendoodle?

I'm wondering the same thing -- why the hate for the poodle?! I have a standard poodle. He's a rescue, but he's full poodle (he was an owner surrender and they turned over his papers too). He's a super sweet dog, quick learning, eager to please. People always ask "ooh, is he a doodle?" Um, no... he's a poodle. And he's awesome. For what it's worth, you don't have to trim poodles into the frou-frou dog show haircuts. We keep ours in something between a sporting clip and a kennel clip. Much more low-maintenance.

For what it's worth, my DH wasn't really sold on getting a poodle. He likes "manly dogs" like retrievers and setters. (We also have a Lab. The rescue told us that she's full-Lab -- bred by an Amish breeder who planned to kill the litter when it didn't sell. They agreed to turn the litter over to rescue, but refused to give the papers. Our Lab does NOT have a good temperment. She's always trying to get away with something and is food aggressive. She does pretty well with me, but we've never been able to let the kids feed her, etc -- and they're teens now. I still don't trust her with them if there's food involved. You hear about Labs being so docile. Ours is NOT.)

I grew up with poodles and I convinced him to at least meet this one when I saw it available for rescue. We've had him for 5 years now, and DH is a poodle convert... as long as I agree not to get it a "silly haircut."

Poodles rock-smart, trainable and hard working. They were bred as gun dogs and many of them excel as retrievers. The froo-froo dog show hair cut is actually a retriever trim gone grossly wrong but I prefer them in a continental clip although that is what causes people to assume they are doodles. Yes labs can have flakely temperaments-but those that do should not produce the next generation. Unforunately the Amish are less concerned about things like health and temperament than $$ and don't often make good decisions.
My breed is Bernese Mountain Dogs-a breed known for their love of children and general gentleness-but that is, as so many things can be an over generalization. There was a blood line from eastern Europe that produced many dogs with idiopathic rage syndrome, but careful breeding has removed it from most dogs that come from preservation breeders these days. It does still appear in some dogs from less quality breeders. And those are the dogs that often end up with doodle producers. I applaud those that have amazing experiences with their poodle cross dogs regardless of what the other parent breed is.

Poodles rock-smart, trainable and hard working. They were bred as gun dogs and many of them excel as retrievers.

My poodle LOVES to retrieve. And my poor-temperment-Amish-puppy-mill-rescue Lab couldn't care less. Occasionally, she'll get involved -- but only to steal the ball from the Poodle and run away with it -- to remind him that she's the boss, I think.

Not a dood fan. I think goldens and poodles are excellent breeds themselves and see no reason to mix the two together. Of all the doodles that I have met, they are very friendly but pretty dumb in comparison to the golden or the poodle. I also admit I am a hardcore golden retriever lover perhaps even a golden snob as some of my friends like to tease me with so definitely biased.

Goldendoodles are not a breed-they are a mixed breed-purebred dogs have a standard they are expected to adhere too-there is nothing of the sort with doodles. As someone who is very active in all kinds of dog sports I have seen doodles that were amazing and some that were horrors with terrible temperaments and basically out of control.. You are blessed that you have gotten 4 that are successful. everyone is not so lucky.
Exactly. They were not a breed 7 years ago when this thread was started and absolutely no effort has been made in 7 years to establish them as a breed. No standard, no record keeping, no ethics committees, just backyard breeders looking to make a buck that get poorly bred(no responsible breeder would allow their dog to be used to create mixed breed designer dogs.) poodles and goldens or labs and breed them. Then sell them to naive people, passing them off as a unique "breed" for astronomical amounts.

Btw I've also seen purebred dogs that were horrors. There are just as many purebreds that have temperament issues.
Usually from unethical breeders, mostly backyard and puppymill, that pay no attention to the temperaments they are breeding, just out for the bucks.

I'm not a Goldendoodle expert. We do have a much loved golden doodle named Abbie. Until a few years ago I tested positive for dog allergies. When it came time for us to get a dog for the first time, I did a lot of research on different kinds of dogs and ended up choosing a few different breeds and mixes. I wanted a dog that would be good with kids, easy to train, and would be unlikely to shed. No dog is truly hypoallergenic but some types of dogs are less likely to bother a person's allergies. I hunted on Pet Finder and several pet rescue websites for more than a year without success. The few times we found a dog that might meet our needs we didn't qualify for the pet because we were inexperienced and we didn't already have a dog. Based on strong recommendations by several friends who had Goldendoodles from the same breeder, we got on the waiting list for a local breeder who breeds them. While she sells most of her doodles, she donates some of them to become service dogs. She's also known for training diabetes service dogs.

We ended getting our puppy a few years ago on December 23rd (not planned) and we all agree that she's the best Christmas gift we've ever gotten. Even DS11 who didn't want a dog absolutely loves her. She's sweet, friendly, easy to take care of, and rarely barks. She's in charge of waking up my difficult to rouse preteen. It's the cutest things ever. She even goes along with wearing Christmas pajamas. When she was little we had lots of problems with chewing, peeing in the house, and scratching of furniture but that doesn't happen anymore. She's gotten along with every dog she meets and is well loved at the doggy daycare she sometimes goes to. She loves everyone and everyone who isn't already afraid of dogs loves her. My sister had a strong fear of dogs until she met Abbie. Now she says that Abbie is the exception. My older son goes to an eccentric school for gift kids where you can bring your dog to school. Right now there about 7 dogs at school during the school day. While my older son looks after Abbie at school, the other kids are always offering to take her outside and look after her. We will be heartbroken when our Hufflepup dies.

Exactly. They were not a breed 7 years ago when this thread was started and absolutely no effort has been made in 7 years to establish them as a breed. No standard, no record keeping, no ethics committees, just backyard breeders looking to make a buck that get poorly bred(no responsible breeder would allow their dog to be used to create mixed breed designer dogs.) poodles and goldens or labs and breed them. Then sell them to naive people, passing them off as a unique "breed" for astronomical amounts.

I can’t figure out how to bold on my IPad but yes a million times to the part about no responsible breeder allowing their dogs to be used to create mixes. It frustrates me insanely that people don’t understand this.

To label everyone who purchases a mixed breed dog as naive seems quite presumptious. I did purchase my doodle, but she was less than $500 so not sure where you're getting your assumption that it's always "astonomical amounts". I could care less if my dog is accepted as a "breed" by anyone. I don't think being labeled as a "breed" makes the dog in any way, shape or form better than any other dog. In my opinion, mutts can be just as amazing and deserve just as much love as so-called pure breds. My parents have had many many purebreds in their lives, and let me tell ya - they're not all good dogs either. To imply that all owners of pure breds are responsible breeders and all breeders who make crosses are irresponsible is simply false. There are many reasons why someone may choose to not get a pure bred - just because you don't understand those reasons it doesn't make someone naive.

To label everyone who purchases a mixed breed dog as naive seems quite presumptious. I did purchase my doodle, but she was less than $500 so not sure where you're getting your assumption that it's always "astonomical amounts". I could care less if my dog is accepted as a "breed" by anyone. I don't think being labeled as a "breed" makes the dog in any way, shape or form better than any other dog. In my opinion, mutts can be just as amazing and deserve just as much love as so-called pure breds. My parents have had many many purebreds in their lives, and let me tell ya - they're not all good dogs either. To imply that all owners of pure breds are responsible breeders and all breeders who make crosses are irresponsible is simply false. There are many reasons why someone may choose to not get a pure bred - just because you don't understand those reasons it doesn't make someone naive.
Anyone who breeds mix breeds is an irresponsible breeder, and unfortunately the majority of pure breed breeders are also irresponsible. In this day and she, I honestly don’t know how this isn’t apparent to everyone. Oh, and the phrase you want is “I COULDN’T care less.”

This ^^^^^

Goldendoodles are not a breed. They're a cross bread mix. And most of them are still cross breeds between the two breeds rather than two goldendoodles. But the fact is, a baby is still the product of its parents and there is a chance bad traits come from the parents no matter what they are bread with. And when one selectively breeds that chance over the years ends up greater whether in the breed or cross.

As for the "kennel club" well they can thumb their noses and yammer on all they want about cross breading. But it's nothing but deflection because the real problem is selective breeding in the first place. And the kennel club, with their breed standards and pedigree registry has over the years done much more to encourage selective breeding than anyone else. And what's worse is they have encouraged selectively breeding based mainly on looks to make it look pretty, whatever else that may cause in the breed be darned. So they're not just a part of the problem. They are the major part of the problem. What the kennel club has sanctioned over the years makes the Tennessee Walking Horse folks look like saints.

OOOOO A zombie thread.
When approaching the zombies for a survey, all the zombies taunted, ZOMBIE THREAD GOT CW4D.......
We quickly left, wiser.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter