Anyone have back fusion surgery?

katmittens

OKW Owner
I recently was told I have to have back fusion surgery this month. I had to cancel our trip to Disney for Thanksgiving. I rescheduled the trip for June, but I was wondering if anyone who has had this surgery could tell me how this has changed your ability to ride attractions. I guess no more roller coasters, but what else will I not be able to ride? Any help would be appreciated.

Lumbar, cervical or thoracic? I am having a 4 level cervical ACDF (fusion) in Feb 2018. My neurosurgeon has indicated that by the time of grandson’s graduation trip in June 2019?I would be able to enjoy all the rides, including coasters.

I am having lumbar fusion. I am pretty much in bed most of the day or sitting on a chair. The pain is so intense. I have had double knee replacement and an ankle fusion and this is much worse. I hope we can make it to Disney by Feb. 2018. As long as I can get there I will be happy to be able to ride a few mild rides.

I had a c3/4 fusion 5 years ago. I will ride Splash & FOP. I WILL NOT ride any coaster, or other jarring rides. I really wanted to try ToT but too afraid it will mess something up.

I had a C6/7 fusion back in 1996. I ride everything except Primeval Whirl at AK and Goofy's Sky School at DCA--those are just too jarring. I do ride Dinosaur at AK and Indy at DLR and they jar plenty, but the ride vehicle is well designed so it isn't too much.

My fusion will be the lumbar 4/5. We are going in June 2018, so I think it will be too soon for a lot of rides. I'm hoping for Toy Story and Soarin.

That close after surgery you should still be in contact with your surgeon . He should be able to give you the best advice.

My back is pretty much solid bone- the “ultimate fusion,” due to a really rare genetic condition. I ride everything except for POC, Astro orbiter, space, splash, and r&r, because I can’t get into the ride car. I’d do them if I could figure out how to get in and more importantly out.

Surgery is scheduled for Nov. 24, so I will be 7 months out when we go in June. I will be happy to be able to do a few rides and sit and have a cocktail. I had to cancel three trips to Florida because of the surgery, plus I won't be seeing my kids for the holidays. All of us were suppose to be at Disney for Thanksgiving, and then we were going to my daughter's house for Christmas. I am hoping we can do Vero in February, but not sure. Wish we good luck.

Lumbar, cervical or thoracic? I am having a 4 level cervical ACDF (fusion) in Feb 2018. My neurosurgeon has indicated that by the time of grandson’s graduation trip in June 2019?I would be able to enjoy all the rides, including coasters.

I had a 4 level in 2014 and was told the same by my neuro-surgeon, he said the titanium plates are so strong that the only thing I shouldn't do is WWF style wrestling (no issues with that).
However I do have significant enough discomfort on EE and RNR that I don't ride either anymore. I can comfortably do everything else. Good luck with your surgery and recovery, its a bear but so worth it.

My back is pretty much solid bone- the “ultimate fusion,” due to a really rare genetic condition. I ride everything except for POC, Astro orbiter, space, splash, and r&r, because I can’t get into the ride car. I’d do them if I could figure out how to get in and more importantly out.

I hear you - I can get *in* to almost every ride at WDW; it's the getting back out that is problematic.

If only I could get the guys from Reedy Creek FD to just follow me around all day and lift me out every time! LOL. I WOULD RIDE EVERYTHING ;)

Surgery is scheduled for Nov. 24, so I will be 7 months out when we go in June. I will be happy to be able to do a few rides and sit and have a cocktail. I had to cancel three trips to Florida because of the surgery, plus I won't be seeing my kids for the holidays. All of us were suppose to be at Disney for Thanksgiving, and then we were going to my daughter's house for Christmas. I am hoping we can do Vero in February, but not sure. Wish we good luck.
Sorry for the interruption to your life. Been there, done that for a few years as I waited until I could stand the pain no more and had to have the surgery. By seven months post surgery you will probably be able to do everything on your wish list. My surgeon testified at our court proceedings that after disc replacement my neck could handle playing in the NFL. >:( Ummmmm, no, but thanks for helping my court case! :rolleyes: I am far better after surgery than I was pre-surgery, but I certainly never returned to pre-accident condition. It WILL get better and maybe next year can be a Disney Family Holiday. Surgery isn't too bad and recovery was fairly easy too. Probably will be easier than you have it in your head right now. My surgery was 10/11/12 and six months later Easter 2013 I was in Disney World and then boarded a cruise ship for a week.

I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.:littleangel:

L4, L5, S1 fusion - C3 to C6 fusion

I do not do coasters. Everything else is fine. I do notice that I seem to walk slower now - but that could be just my issue.

Good luck to you! The fusion was worth it!

I recently was told I have to have back fusion surgery this month. I had to cancel our trip to Disney for Thanksgiving. I rescheduled the trip for June, but I was wondering if anyone who has had this surgery could tell me how this has changed your ability to ride attractions. I guess no more roller coasters, but what else will I not be able to ride? Any help would be appreciated.
My nuerosurgeon said if the sign says if you have back issues, do not ride, then don't ride :( I had lumbar Dec 2016. I find I cannot walk the parks like I use to anymore. My back hurts after a few hours. I cannot stand long periods of time, nor can I sit long periods of time. My right foot is still numb. Coasters and all fast jerky rides are out for me. My surgery was L 3,4,5 and S1

I had fusion with Harrington rods from T1-T12 in 1995. Been to wdw 3 times since. Only space mountain is slightly uncomfortable for me and not enough to skip it. Truthfully the plane ride down is the hardest for me.

It has been three weeks since my spinal fusion surgery. So far so good. I had a two week check up and so far all is well, but still a long way to go. Recovery is much harder than I thought it would be, but I am better than before surgery. I take one to two naps a day since I am so tired which they tell me is normal. Today I felt really good but I think I over did it a little and I am now a little more sore than usual.trying to walk with walker as much as I can, but I am off of my rheumatoid medicines so it does make it more difficult for me and I still have 4 to 5 weeks until I can get back on my regular melds. Thanks to everyone who helped me with answers to my questions and for your support. I am planning a Feb. trip to WDW and Vero and just hope I continue to do well so we can go. Also my DD will be home for the day after Christmas thru New Year's Eve, so I am looking forward to that and also DH has put up two Christmas trees for me

Friday was three weeks. I am still using the walker, but I do feel stronger. My right leg still has some numbness in it and my left hip eas really sore. The left hip seems to be getting better. I only hope more of this numbness goes away. I still am tired and usually take a nap at least once a day. The surgeon has said I will be much better by six weeks so I am hoping for that. I am still planning a trip to Disney for four days in Feb and then four days to Vero so I hope it works out. Any other advice from anyone would be appreciated.

My nuerosurgeon said if the sign says if you have back issues, do not ride, then don't ride :( I had lumbar Dec 2016. I find I cannot walk the parks like I use to anymore. My back hurts after a few hours. I cannot stand long periods of time, nor can I sit long periods of time. My right foot is still numb. Coasters and all fast jerky rides are out for me. My surgery was L 3,4,5 and S1

I had a fusion L4-L5 back in 2007. I am in constant pain since. I also have the same problems not being able to stand for very long, walk as much as a normal person or sit for very long. I have seen some people say you can get a ticket to come back for a ride if you have a disability and can't stand for very long. Anyone know how I would go about doing this? It would be so helpful on our next trip in a few weeks. I am dreading the pain and I get from standing in one spot for too long for rides. Thanks

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter