Anyone have experience with an earring hole that constantly gets infected?

I take mine out every night, but really don't clean them except for just wiping them off with my finger. I'd have her take them out every night and also clean with peroxide (clean ears and earrings both.

Oh... you have my sympathies! Is there a protocol for future surgeries, to ensure that doesn't happen again?
I have been informed that I have to make sure that every single person who comes near me knows I have this allergy, but there are no substitutes for medical equipment or accessories. Basically if I ever need staples or pins, I get to be on lots of antibiotics as a precaution. Even my non-copper IUD gave me nothing but grief and troubles until they took it out a few weeks later... :(

I have had my ears pierced for over 40 years. The only time I ever had an infection was after I allowed a jewelry store to clean my earrings. The earrings got contaminated by the dirty liquid in the cleaner. That hole remained infected for over a year. I never allow the jeweler to clean my jewelry.
My daughter had trouble with her ear piercings until she stopped wearing studs. She wears small hoops or French wires.
I would recommend to the OP that her daughter take her earrings out at night, then apply alcohol to the piercing before inserting earrings in the morning. I wear only 14K yellow gold because gold is inert. But stainless steel should be OK too.

Agree with the titanium. My daughter went through this for a while. I think it ended when we picked up a pair of titanium studs with rounded backs like you get with a new piercing and switched to these as soon as any sign of irritation popped up adding alcohol & antibiotic cream every night until it would clear. Eventually this stopped.

I need to dip mine in alcohol before I put them in every time still but it's not a big deal, sterling, gold or titanium only.

Back when mine were pierced (oh the 90s) I always had trouble and they never fully healed even with meticulous care. I just pulled them out and let the holes heal.

I always had trouble when I would wear post earrings. Now, I only wear ones that have the "hook through or loop through"
As long as I don't have a post up against my earlobe, I'm good

This why a lot of ppl recommend going to a tattoo parlor for the ear piercings - where there is usually a very laborious and careful sanitized procedure - rather than to a mall kiosk.

LuvOrlando: Ty; and at the small local church we go to even a majority of the boys seem to wear earrings so it's definitely worthwhile for families to know the best way to have it done and have them put in safely and in a totally clean and sanitized way.

Change pillowcase more often? Make sure she washes hands a lot and isn't touching ears and clean every night with a little alcohol or peroxide. Could try to change earrings to a 24 karat or flatter stud? Sometimes I have had issues but I found the most comfortable studs for me and pretty much keep them in as my everyday ones. I have a small 14K stud and another small 18K bar with gems in each ear but I have had earrings that bothered me more if I lay weird at night. I don't think it would hurt to take them out at night either if she continues issues.

Change pillowcase more often? Make sure she washes hands a lot and isn't touching ears and clean every night with a little alcohol or peroxide. Could try to change earrings to a 24 karat or flatter stud? Sometimes I have had issues but I found the most comfortable studs for me and pretty much keep them in as my everyday ones. I have a small 14K stud and another small 18K bar with gems in each ear but I have had earrings that bothered me more if I lay weird at night. I don't think it would hurt to take them out at night either if she continues issues.
Yes, and what with doubles/multiple holes as a very established thing now, the effort of really learning to manage the holes well has consequently become an established need also.

Nah, she's a squirmer and sleeps in all kinds of positions! Do you think taking the earrings out at night may give her ears a break though? She is terrified to even take them out when she plays soccer as she is worried they will fill in.
I'd def. take them out at night. I do as does my dd (13) never had an issue. Hers will definitely not close up over a night... my dd kept hers out for months here and there and never had an issue.

I'd def. take them out at night. I do as does my dd (13) never had an issue. Hers will definitely not close up over a night... my dd kept hers out for months here and there and never had an issue.
...Remembering also that with hole management (& taking them out and putting them back in) the holes may sometimes also behave differently depending on whether they are in the fleshy lobe or in the cartilage.

Even really good earrings often have post made of nickel. Many people are allergic to nickel. I am and my ears will get infected if I wear earrings with nickel posts.

I had that trouble too -- and still do. I have sensitive skin otherwise though, and a couple of weird immune things. I have only found one kind of earrings that I can reliably wear. (They're called Concepts. They have a website.) If I had it to do over again, I'd just have let them close up when I was young.

...Remembering also that with hole management (& taking them out and putting them back in) the holes may sometimes also behave differently depending on whether they are in the fleshy lobe or in the cartilage.

Agree with this. The only time I have ever had a problem with my pierced ears and I have had them pierced since a kid, was when I got my cartilage pierced. Both ears ended up getting infected so I let them close up. I have two holes now in each ear but I did read that the cartilage area can have different or more issues and that was my experience, and no longer have.

I had that trouble too -- and still do. I have sensitive skin otherwise though, and a couple of weird immune things. I have only found one kind of earrings that I can reliably wear. (They're called Concepts. They have a website.) If I had it to do over again, I'd just have let them close up when I was young.
Yes, hole management is indeed a commitment before ever the holes are gotten; and I expect from your own experience your household would understand this, whether or not your dd or ds would want to wear earrings.

Agree with this. The only time I have ever had a problem with my pierced ears and I have had them pierced since a kid, was when I got my cartilage pierced. Both ears ended up getting infected so I let them close up. I have two holes now in each ear but I did read that the cartilage area can have different or more issues and that was my experience, and no longer have.
If the double/multiple holes are wanted then this is great; like even the majority of boys / young men at our local church seem to wear earrings and when the girls desire multiple holes there should indeed usually be plenty of space on the lobe area for doubles or whatever, without necessarily having to go to the cartilage which may turn out to be a different experience.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!