Anyone have luck sticking to keto diet at WDW?

I’m not keto but I keep a low carb diet at home and I’m down 58 pounds. The thing is I don’t eat any meat but fish and seafood (eggs and dairy are ok) so keeping LC anywhere but home is extremely difficult for me.

I'm in the same boat--I eat a mostly vegetarian low carb diet. Most meats I gave up 20 years ago and won't be adding back in, but after a few months of being low carb I caved and added back seafood because eating at restaurants was so hard. (That I'd only given up 2 years ago, so it hadn't entirely lost its appeal like other meats.) I don't eat fish, but I can handle shrimp and scallops. One of the best tips I've seen is to ask them to cook pasta or rice dishes with broccoli (or other veggies) in place of the starch. At home I use cauliflower as a pasta and rice replacement, so I'm hopeful that will work for me and open up a lot more options. At QS restaurants I think I'll have no choice but to loosen up on carbs, so I'm trying to stay with LC at TS and snacks. (I'd much rather choose a few cheats that I *really* want than eat boring ones that I'm forced into by limited menus!)

I am keto and still managed to lose half a pound the week we were in Disney. I lose slow so that was a big win! Seafood is fab. The wait staff knows substitutes and if they don’t, the chef does. It was pretty easy. There is steak and seafood everywhere. Even at quick serve-burger plain!

I am keto and still managed to lose half a pound the week we were in Disney. I lose slow so that was a big win! Seafood is fab. The wait staff knows substitutes and if they don’t, the chef does. It was pretty easy. There is steak and seafood everywhere. Even at quick serve-burger plain!

Exactly! Great job! It absolutely is doable! I lost 3 lbs on our last trip and am also a very slow loser. It's all in your mind set. If you want to stick to Keto you will, if not, it's totally up to you. Many can go off this WOE for vacation, then get right back on and do great. Sadly, I'm not one of them.

*following*

I recently started keto and I kinda sorta have a game plan for my vacay. It mostly involves tons of butter, I guess. We plan on getting the rapid refill mugs. I know its possible to get unlimited coffee and tea with those, but can anyone tell me if there is heavy cream/sugar free syrups at the refill stations?

I know I will be having at least ONE (fingers crossed) Dole Whip, but I'm not super duper into sweets.

In our 12 days, I only made 2 ADRs: Sci-Fi and Cinderella's Royal Table.

Any suggestions regarding those two spots?

Anyone know what the "seasonal vegetables" for mid NOvember would be??

Thanks to all who responded and to the OP for asking this question!

There is fresh creamer available at the rapid refill stations but I have no idea exactly what it is other than it doesn't have added flavor. There are no syrups but the usual sweeteners (blue, yellow, pink, and regular sugar) are present. The Starbucks on property have great sf/heavy cream drinks and you can use a snack credit for them if on the dining plan.

I haven't been to CRT, but I've been to Sci-Fi multiple times. I'd choose a cheeseburger, no bun, with all the toppings and extra pickles. A steak is on the menu but I've avoided it because it is twice as expensive and I haven't heard good things about it. There's a fresh fruit salad for dessert...does Keto include fruit? I can't remember.

The creamer at the refill stations is not real cream, hence the name. I believe it's like a liquid coffee mate, but a bit better tasting. I could be totally wrong on this, but I love my real dairy and that creamer does not taste 100% dairy. It's better than nothing in a pinch though.

I think I"ll probably purchase some heavy cream and maybe some SF syrup from Garden Grocer or something similar if I want the real stuff. Or I could just get lazy... :)

Thanks!

I haven't been to CRT, but I've been to Sci-Fi multiple times. I'd choose a cheeseburger, no bun, with all the toppings and extra pickles. A steak is on the menu but I've avoided it because it is twice as expensive and I haven't heard good things about it. There's a fresh fruit salad for dessert...does Keto include fruit? I can't remember.

Burger it is!

To answer your question: some fruit is better for keto than others. I've been tryingto stick with lower-carb options like black berries, strawberries, raspberries and sometimes, blueberries.

Apples, bananas, oranges, etc aren't recommended.

Did anyone take keto friendly snacks or were you able to find some in the park? I preferably like the salty ones!

Thanks

Did anyone take keto friendly snacks or were you able to find some in the park? I preferably like the salty ones!

Thanks
One of my fave low carb snacks is this crunchy, cold, salty whole pickle. It's only $1.50. They sell it at the fruit and veggie cart in AK by The Safari.

Thanks

I'm planning to bring protein bars and almonds. As a low-carb vegetarian, I wouldn't be surprised if there are times I can't find enough to eat at our QS meals and need to fall back on the protein bars.

I eat mostly low carb (though I am eating a few more carbs now going into maintenance phase) but went to Disney doing low carb 7 months after weight loss surgery. My surgeon has an 80/20 philosophy: 80% of the time eat right, 20% live your life. That said, I think his ratio is too high and for me it is more like 95/5.

But what I do on vacation is find the balance. I don't go hogwild on ALL THE CARBS but if I want something badly enough, I have it. I have found that my tastes have mostly changed and I tend to prefer protein and veggies and something has to be really good for me to eat the carbs. I did but it was a choice and a few bites, most of the time I ate how I should and feel best and I lost 3 lbs at Disney and on a cruise.

Some tips from weight loss surgery but honestly I feel like they can help ANYONE:

1)START with your protein and veggies and if you want to have some of the carbs, eat it last after you are pretty much full on the rest. This way a couple of bites will do it for you. If you start with carbs you'll get an insulin spike right away and screw up your satiety signals

2)Don't be afraid to check out the appetizer menus and order a few apps - they tend to be less composed of meat-veg-starch and you can sometimes get just meat or just meat with veg garnish. Order 2-3 apps instead of a main. I love when I can find mussels on the menu!

3)Don't be afraid to substitute. Disney is fantastic about mixing and matching sides with mains even at their fancy signature restaurants. I always scour the entire menu for a main and a side my picky kid will eat, and if i can find two things anywhere i get them to combine it for me. I've never been refused steak with a side of mac and cheese from any place that has both on the menu in some form... so skip the starchy side and sub another veggie in from another dish to keep up the variety.

4)my current favorite way to save on carbs without spending a ton on a whole entree is to get sandwiches with no bread. Today I had lovely shaved steak with onions, mushrooms, red and green peppers topped with american cheese and a side of cole slaw for lunch (not at disney though!) honestly the fillings on sandwiches are the best part, especially in places where they have freeflowing toppings bars, and I think most people find that when they go on keto/low carb, their portion sizes naturally drop and they become satisfied on less food.

I think the toughest thing is snacks, there are not a lot of lower carb/higher protein options beyond babybel cheese. I'd bring some of those with me if you didn't want to indulge in disney snacks. I pretty much stuck to low carb at most of my meals but did indulge in some disney treats at snack time.

Remember, the typical american diet is SO high in carbs and keto is SO low in carbs that you can switch to a more moderate low carb and still be way ahead of the game. I feel better with more carbs (I start to feel like a zombie at keto levels and my A1C was actually on the lower side and new research is showing that too low is not much better than too high, I am trying to get it up a bit) but "more carbs" for me is still way lower than a typical american diet.

We’ve been keto for 7 months. We do intermittent fasting too so that makes meal planning easier since it’s one less meal/snack to worry about. Order salads with dressing on the side, lots of meats, and if you indulge make it small since you’re body won’t be used to it! Have fun it doesn’t have to be a complicated thing!:-)

We just returned. I think you will find that you cannot pig out on carbs anymore so it's a bit 'self-limiting' due to upset tummies! DH and I shared treats - a dole whip, desserts at restaurants. I did have 1 mickey bar. We were there for food and wine which is predominantly meat. I did have a glass of prosecco and the thimble full of ice wine in canada.

I did not intentionally think about carbs, for me the keto is really just how I eat now.

Breakfast in the room - hard boiled eggs and cottage cheese. We stayed at DVC and they had half and half to purchase. We take our own coffee maker. We ate at Tiffins at AK as well as an egg and sausage biscuit in pandora (I skipped the biscuit) and had the pineapple lumpia that was well worth the carbs at the same QS place. There is a nice cheese and charcuterie plate at DHS that is QS at the pub by ABC commissary that was delicious. We also went to Brown Derby for a very late dinner - we shared a soup and salad and dessert. We had tried to eat at the lounge and they were closed. Epcot was purely food and wine. MK we had lunch at BOG. We also ate at Boma, Flying Fish. Both were super easy Keto.

I get on the scale tomorrow for the final verdict. We did a cruise in July and I ate what I wanted and I gained 4lbs, it took me 2 weeks to lose it again. I lose slowly, never more than a lb a week.

T
One of my fave low carb snacks is this crunchy, cold, salty whole pickle. It's only $1.50. They sell it at the fruit and veggie cart in AK by The Safari.

Thanks, I love salty whole pickles!! I am currently making some snacks to take with me. I've found this is the easiest way to stick to keto at moment!

T

Thanks, I love salty whole pickles!! I am currently making some snacks to take with me. I've found this is the easiest way to stick to keto at moment!
We’re running the Rival Run races and will need to bring breakfast stuff to have in the room those mornings. I am planning to bring home-made almond flour muffins, cheese sticks, ham, nuts, and cream for coffee.

For those who use heavy cream for their coffee and can't or don't want to travel off site, you can actually get some at Starbucks! I went to Starbucks on our way out of DS yesterday and asked if they would sell me a small cup of heavy cream. I made sure they understood I only wanted the cream, nothing but cream. So it is doable and saved me from using the creamer in the room until I could get to an actual store. Keto on!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!