Anyone have Passports Expiring?

Frozen2014

DIS Veteran
Wondering if anyone else is in our situation. Our son's passport expires in January. We had a cruise booked this past March and the "plan"was to fill out the application when we returned. Well, that trip got cancelled and Passport offices are now closed.
I should note as well that just prior to all of this, DH had sent in his passport as he needed some documentation for tax reasons. His passport is in limbo.

Next trip is Disney World + Royal cruise in August. Based on current state, we suspect we will be cancelling anyways (but not done yet so not 100%).

After that, we have a Royal cruise end of Dec.

And ...even if things open up again, who knows when Passport office will open up again....and then the backlog to get things processed. Without a valid passport, we can't go in Aug or Dec anyways. (Or is Nexus only accepted ?)

Anyone else in this situation?

My son's expired last December and we have a trip booked this coming December, I had planned to renew it on March break... so that didn't go well. Now we wait. But I also hadn't done his pictures yet (plan was haircut, new pictures, passport), so as soon as things are "back to normal" we will really need those haircuts and pictures, and hopefully we'll be able to renew without too much trouble. I am sure there will be a backlog of applications. After we get the new one we'll need to update his Nexus as well. I am hoping that's just a quick thing of providing the new information.

We are in this boat as well. We don't have a trip planned, but we do go to the US a lot usually. My son's passport expires in July and because his old one is the kids one, and now he is over 16, it's not just a simple renewal. It sucks because as soon as the boarders are open we'll really want to be able to travel, but will have to wait until the passport offices are open, then apply, and then wait for the new passport before we'll be able to go anywhere. Sigh. First world problems I guess though!! It's a minor worry in comparison to worrying about just surviving this situation!

The situation may be different in the U.K. but I applied online for a (re)new(ed) passport last week and I received it within days. I think that if it is a straight forward renewal, they are computer generated and presumably people are pressing the necessary buttons, while working from home.

My son's expired last December and we have a trip booked this coming December, I had planned to renew it on March break... so that didn't go well. Now we wait. But I also hadn't done his pictures yet (plan was haircut, new pictures, passport), so as soon as things are "back to normal" we will really need those haircuts and pictures, and hopefully we'll be able to renew without too much trouble. I am sure there will be a backlog of applications. After we get the new one we'll need to update his Nexus as well. I am hoping that's just a quick thing of providing the new information.
Lol...the haircuts. That is one business that will do very well once things open up again.
So same timing as us with our Dec cruise. We all have Nexus and are ok with those, but not clear if the cruise ships will accept these only. For Dec, we can in theory drive vs flying (it would be a long 9hr drive - so not fun but doable)

We are in this boat as well. We don't have a trip planned, but we do go to the US a lot usually. My son's passport expires in July and because his old one is the kids one, and now he is over 16, it's not just a simple renewal. It sucks because as soon as the boarders are open we'll really want to be able to travel, but will have to wait until the passport offices are open, then apply, and then wait for the new passport before we'll be able to go anywhere. Sigh. First world problems I guess though!! It's a minor worry in comparison to worrying about just surviving this situation!

The situation may be different in the U.K. but I applied online for a (re)new(ed) passport last week and I received it within days. I think that if it is a straight forward renewal, they are computer generated and presumably people are pressing the necessary buttons, while working from home.

For Canadians, I think we need to do a new passport for kids each time? My son is turning 15 end of the month.

For Canadians, I think we need to do a new passport for kids each time? My son is turning 15 end of the mont

Yes I think you will need a new one but at that age, you probably can only get one that expires when he is 16, because after that they need the adult one and it's a different application process.

For Canadians, I think we need to do a new passport for kids each time? My son is turning 15 end of the month.
Yes I think you will need a new one but at that age, you probably can only get one that expires when he is 16, because after that they need the adult one and it's a different application process.

You will need a new one and it will be good for 5 years, even though the child turns 16 before it expires.

Passports for children
All Canadian children under the age of 16 need their own passport to travel. Your child’s passport will be valid for a maximum of 5 years. It’s valid until it reaches its expiry date, even after the child turns 16.
You can’t renew your child’s passport. You must get all the documents ready and apply for a new one.

Thank you both. Yeah, that's what we thought. So we need to wait (and hope) the Passport office opens and can process stuff before needed.

DD11's expires in October, but I need to get it renewed before our trip to Bahamas at the end of July since you need 6 months on the end of it. I will still do it, just in case, but we know the Bahamas won't be happening.

DD11's expires in October, but I need to get it renewed before our trip to Bahamas at the end of July since you need 6 months on the end of it. I will still do it, just in case, but we know the Bahamas won't be happening.
Guess once they open. Just wonder when that will be.

For everyone wondering about their children’s passports, just look at their current one. It has an expiry date on it. If you need to renew it and they are under 16, they can get a five year passport. If they are 16 or over, they get an adult one. Valid for 10 years.

No such thing as online renewals for Canadian passports I'm afraid.

Semi off topic here, but has anyone heard anything about renewing their drivers license and medicare card in quebec? I'm due to have them renewed by my birthday next month but I need to get my picture redone and all the SAAQ offices are closed I believe.

Semi off topic here, but has anyone heard anything about renewing their drivers license and medicare card in quebec? I'm due to have them renewed by my birthday next month but I need to get my picture redone and all the SAAQ offices are closed I believe.
I don't know about Quebec, but my mom had the same problem in Manitoba. She was told they'll be using her old photo for another year.

Reactions: ky.
In Ontario we got notices that nothing will expire. Neither drivers licenses, health cards or even stickers for your cars.
""The extension means people whose government cards expire now or in the near future won’t have to renew them until an unspecified date approved by the chief medical officer of health. ""

We mailed in the passport application just a year ago. got it back in 3 1/2 weeks. No issues. |Try that. Just the picture might be an issue, but you can check with Shoppers, they might still be doing them.

I did my daughter's passport renewal at a Service Canada outlet beginning of March. It said that it should come back on March 31.

I made a status request online and the passport is processed... but everything is on hold, so they're not even shipping out passports at this point.

My daughter is a dual citizen, so technically she could travel with her UK passport or maybe even her NEXUS, but we aren't leaving the country anytime soon, so it's fine to be in limbo for the time being.

You can also do your own photos, but you have to read up on the requirements to make sure you get it right. Come to think of it, someone should make an app for that.

Don't you need a guarantor to sign the back of the photos, though?

We mailed in the passport application just a year ago. got it back in 3 1/2 weeks. No issues. |Try that. Just the picture might be an issue, but you can check with Shoppers, they might still be doing them.
For the mail in option, DH said that we'd have to send his original birth certificate so we're not comfortable doing this.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter