Anyone here rebooked for 2021 and was able to carry over OBB?

tee11

DIS Veteran
We are booked on a November cruise... we love DCL... but I'm not very optimistic for several reasons... I'm wondering if anyone rebooked for next year and was able to carry over their onboard booking credit, even though it would have normally expired this year? I mean will DCL extend it at all? Thanks!

If DCL cancels your cruise, they are allowing the OBB to be carried forward with the credit offered. If you cancel your cruise, you cannot push the OBB past the original expiration date.

This is my understanding as well. And also, if you *move* your cruise to a date outside the 24 mo expiration, you lose the OBB... but if Disney *later* cancels the cruise you originally, they *might* retroactively reinstate your OBB to the new date you’d moved to.

If DCL cancels your cruise, they are allowing the OBB to be carried forward with the credit offered. If you cancel your cruise, you cannot push the OBB past the original expiration date.

This happened for us two times. Our first cruise we had 2x placeholders with the OBB discount & credit and the second we only had one OBB discount and credit. Both traveled with the re-aligned cruises (including the 125% on top)

Can you explain that a little more? We've always sailed within the OBB time frame and always rebooked with OBB, so this is a first for us. When you say re-aligned, do you mean the new cruise date beyond the original OBB time frame? What is the 125%? I apologize for my confusion...

This happened for us two times. Our first cruise we had 2x placeholders with the OBB discount & credit and the second we only had one OBB discount and credit. Both traveled with the re-aligned cruises (including the 125% on top)

Can you explain that a little more? We've always sailed within the OBB time frame and always rebooked with OBB, so this is a first for us. When you say re-aligned, do you mean the new cruise date beyond the original OBB time frame? What is the 125%? I apologize for my confusion...
If you have a cruise that has OBB perks attached, and that cruise is canceled by DCL, you are given the option of receiving a 100% refund, or moving (re-aligning) the funds with at 125% credit for a future cruise.

If you choose to cancel (100% refund) any OBB perks are forfeited. If you choose to rebook, the OBB perks go to the new cruise (regardless if it's after the original expiration date of that OBB).

Placeholder benefits expire if not used within 24 month deadline. There are never any exceptions to this rule... Except now. If you move a cruise (not cancel, but move it) and end up losing your placeholder benefits (because the new date was past the deadline), you *might* get them reinstated IF Disney ends up canceling the cruise you’d rescheduled.

Currently, if Disney cancels your cruise, they’re offering either 100% of your money back OR 125% as a future cruise credit (IF your cruise was paid in full). If you don’t use the credit within 15 mos, that deal expires but they still return back 100% of the cruise cost to you. This is unusual but not unheard of. But only in special circumstances.

Note: This info is based on what’s been happening so far. No guarantees that Disney’s offers or what we’re seeing will continue. Would be surprising if it didn’t continue as it’s been going, but it’s important to know that Disney can change their offer each time they cancel a new batch of cruises.

For the first cruise, we moved the reservation date from this past May to January keeping the OBB discount & OBC. That cruise new date for the OBB placeholder reservation was within the 24 month limit.

The second cruise we had booked using one OBB placeholder reservation was the 2020 12 night med to the 2021 11 night. The 11 night was outside the 24 month window, but we kept the OBB discount & OBC.

The 125% is the premium that DCL gave us as credit to our account due to them canceling the cruise. We were able to spread across multiple cruises. Not only did we prepay our tips and excursions for the Med cruise (quite a bit for a family of 5), but paid off a spring break Western also.

Placeholder benefits expire if not used within 24 month deadline. There are never any exceptions to this rule... Except now. If you move a cruise (not cancel, but move it) and end up losing your placeholder benefits (because the new date was past the deadline), you *might* get them reinstated IF Disney ends up canceling the cruise you’d rescheduled.

Currently, if Disney cancels your cruise, they’re offering either 100% of your money back OR 125% as a future cruise credit (IF your cruise was paid in full). If you don’t use the credit within 15 mos, that deal expires but they still return back 100% of the cruise cost to you. This is unusual but not unheard of. But only in special circumstances.

Note: This info is based on what’s been happening so far. No guarantees that Disney’s offers or what we’re seeing will continue. Would be surprising if it didn’t continue as it’s been going, but it’s important to know that Disney can change their offer each time they cancel a new batch of cruises.
We are anticipating a cancellation in the next round... so to clarify, if we take the 125 %FCC, if we choose to cancel later, our funds are refundable? Thanks!

Correct, if you take the 125% and later cancel, as long as you cancel before the full cancellation refund date for the new cruise, you will get 100% of your original funds refunded to you.
I just moved our Med. B2B 07/13/20 and 07/18/20 to the Med. B2B 07/17/21 and 07/23/21...we were able to move forward our onboard booking 10% discount the OBCs and use 125% FCC...we end up with 13 nights of cruising (instead of 12), in an upgraded room category, and owe nothing (with a tiny extra credit of unused FCC)...that’s making lemonade out of lemons!

Just rebooked yesterday. Place holder was booked Thanksgiving 2018 was able to book the July 2020 cruise with it. That cruise was cancelled and rebooked at July 2021. The OBB (which was booked before the policy change with the $200 credit on board) was honored and applied along with the FCC.

All cancellations by DCL so far have occurred after people’s PIF date, have they?

We are anticipating a cancellation in the next round... so to clarify, if we take the 125 %FCC, if we choose to cancel later, our funds are refundable? Thanks!
Yes. The funds you paid into your original cruise are refundable on the new cruise, in line with standard cancellation policies, even if your original cruise was nonrefundable in whole or in part. For example, my original cruise was concierge (nonrefundable deposit), but all of the money I had put on that cruise is currently refundable on the (non-concierge) cruise I rebooked to.

Thank you everyone for your explanations, very helpful... after reading the tentative measures for opening WDW in July - I just cannot see any of this working on a cruise ship. It will hurt a lot to lose our OBB credit and perks... but presently, I cannot imagine a November 2020 cruise.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!