Anyone know how to cook the giblets, heart etc???

JennSaint

DIS Veteran
My Dad is coming and usually I just throw away the giblets etc. But I know he likes to eat some of these (not my cup of tea). Anyone know how to cook them? I've already stuffed my turkey and put it in the oven but put the giblets in the fridge until I could figure out what to do with them.
Thanks!
Happy Thanksgiving!

I usually put them in a small saucepan with water and a bunch of spices.....bring to a boil, then simmer and use the liquid for the gravy or stuffing....then chop up the 'stuff' and add it to the gravy.

Just cover them with water & bring to a boil. Then reduce heat & simmer for a while - maybe a half hour? I tend to leave them sit for quite a while :blush: but I think a half hour is all that's necessary.

I'm guessing you weren't raised being served liver at dinner. ;) The liver is my favorite part! Older DSis always wanted the heart, Mom picked at the neck meat, but I don't think MsSocks (younger DSis) ever ate any of them....or maybe there just wasn't anything left for her. (Mean older sisters :rotfl2: )

I put mine in a pot, with onions, celery salt and pepper, bring to a boil. Let simmer for a while...then pull that yucky stuff right out of the pan and give it to the cat!
Dear mom did it that way...gives the water flavor....I just do it cause... (dog won't even eat it! LOL!) :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

GrayFal said:
I usually put them in a small saucepan with water and a bunch of spices.....bring to a boil, then simmer and use the liquid for the gravy or stuffing....then chop up the 'stuff' and add it to the gravy.

This is how we use them. Always make the gravy with the "stuff". I doubt any of us would eat the giblets and such unless it was in the gravy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter