Anyone know where I can get road maps? (I'm not a AAA member)

LovePug

DIS Veteran
I'm looking for maps that my son can highlight, for our trip, for a school project. Does anyone know if each State has them in their rest stops?

I'm looking for maps that my son can highlight, for our trip, for a school project. Does anyone know if each State has them in their rest stops?

Usually you can find them at the rest stops and sometimes they have the surrounding states too. If you have time you might even be able to write each states DOT or even order them online at ther websites and they might be able to send them to you. Also I have seen road maps/atlases for sale at book stores like Barnes And Noble and places like Staples, Office Max, and BJ's. Also you can buy them directly from Rand McNally at https://store.randmcnally.com/2019-road-atlases.html. Instead of tearing them out of the atlas you could always make a copy of each state you will be traveling through.

Usually you can find them at the rest stops and sometimes they have the surrounding states too. If you have time you might even be able to write each states DOT or even order them online at ther websites and they might be able to send them to you. Also I have seen road maps/atlases for sale at book stores like Barnes And Noble and places like Staples, Office Max, and BJ's. Also you can buy them directly from Rand McNally at https://store.randmcnally.com/2019-road-atlases.html. Instead of tearing them out of the atlas you could always make a copy of each state you will be traveling through.

Thank-you!

@LovePug Forgot to add that I have also see the individual state maps at book stores as well and Rand McNally sells them too. But check the size as those can be very large and possibly to big and unwieldy for a school project.

I remember going every year to the bookstore to buy the road maps to the various counties around me where we would drive to on the weekends. Looking at The Thomas Guides (put out by Rand McNally) were so great. Looking in the index to find out the page then the grid :D

P.S. AAA doesn't have all the states either, though. I think they have a map of the USA and then, since I'm in CA, a state map of CA and maybe NV, but if I were to go to AAA, I don't think I could get road maps for each state.

You say you are not a member of AAA ........ BUT Why not visit your local AAA place and ask .

They might give you them ( explain why you need them ) Or they might order them for you .

An Old Fashioned MAP is the best . Roads will change but City do not.

Gas stations usually have maps. Truck stops definitely would, probably in book form which should be fine for what you want to do.

AAA has maps covering every state, some smaller states may be combined with adjacent states. Members can order online. Last time I ordered no charge, not even for shipping.
Ask, maybe a friend or relative is a member.
State tourism departments may offer maps.
Maps are frequently available at rest stops.
Do you have roadside assistance? Consider joning AAA

Last edited:
Best places would be your big box book stores (I think Barnes and Noble are the only one still around) and truck stops.

If the regular printed roadmaps are too large for the project, look at Google Images.

Just FYI, Rand-McNally's road maps tend to run about $10 each. A big regional map will be your most economical choice. (They do have a US map; I sent one to an overseas cousin for her children once, so that they could map out the locations of all of their American family members.)

If his project isn't coming up really soon, you can ask for tourist info on each state's tourism website, for the states you'll be passing through. They pretty much always send a map.

I will second the Rand McNally Road Atlas. They have a couple of sizes. I always have a recent copy of the larger one around as sometimes it is just easier looking at a paper map. You can get them at almost every book or office supply store if you want to see one before you buy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter