Anyone preboard on Southwest? Questions.

Treysar

Mouseketeer
Hi! Flying Southwest in january and I have a question about preboarding. We are a party of 5 with 2 disabled travelers. I’ve read that you can preboard with assistance, one “assistant” per disabled person. Wondering what happens to my 10 year old of my husband and I are assisting our twins in boarding. Does anyone know how this goes?

Thanks!

Probably they will allow what would otherwise be considered an Unaccompanied Minor to board with you. Possibly they may allow just one parent to board, and the other to stay with the minor until the assigned boarding group is called.

I would approach the customer service desk servicing your flight, explain the situation, and nicely ask if they can also mark your 10 year old's BP with "preboard."

The desk will be near your gate, not at the gate.

In case you are denied, I would then politely ask the ops agent at your gate.

If you do not have EarlyBird, make sure to check in your 10 year old EXACTLY 24 hours before departure time, just in case. No matter what, you should not have a problem "saving" a seat, especially a middle seat. But, I honestly can't imagine them denying your reasonable request, under the circumstances.

Last edited:

I would approach the customer service desk servicing your flight, explain the situation, and nicely ask if they can also mark your 10 year old's BP with "preboard."

The desk will be near your gate, not at the gate.

In case you are denied, I would then politely ask the ops agent at your gate.

If you do not have EarlyBird, make sure to check in your 10 year old EXACTLY 24 hours before departure time, just in case. No matter what, you should not have a problem "saving" a seat, especially a middle seat. But, I honestly can't imagine them denying your reasonable request, under the circumstances.
Good idea! Thanks!

Depending on how busy they are or the general temperament of the employees, they have sometimes let us board as a full group (2 disabled adults, 4 able-bodied adults, and one or 2 children) during the disability pre-board. There are other times when they are strict about the one "assistant" per disability pre-board pass, but even then they have let me bring my young daughter with me as well (I'm one of the disabled adults).

If you explain your circumstances, I can't imagine they would separate you from your 10-year-old. Technically, that would make him an unaccompanied minor (under 12), which would mean he would board during the pre-board with the assistance of a flight attendant.

Worst case scenario, family boarding is between groups A and B, and they might ask you to separate with one parent boarding with him during family boarding, the other using the disability pre-board to accompany your twins. I honestly don't see them making you do it this way, but stranger things have happened.

Hi! Flying Southwest in january and I have a question about preboarding. We are a party of 5 with 2 disabled travelers. I’ve read that you can preboard with assistance, one “assistant” per disabled person. Wondering what happens to my 10 year old of my husband and I are assisting our twins in boarding. Does anyone know how this goes?

Thanks!

I hope they let you all go on, but since they do have a pay-for boarding system, they may not. This is one reason I will never fly Southwest.

I fly Southwest both for business and pleasure. If you talk with the ticketing agent before boarding, they will typically accommodate reasonable requests. If not, you can upgrade your ticket to business select for a small fee (if available, and it usually is), that will allow you to be one of the first 15 passengers on board.

Also, I have flown so much that I have earned A-list priority seating and a companion pass for my wife. I usually board before family boarding which occurs after A boarding and save her and my son a seat. Most Southwest passengers are understanding, and will gladly allow you to reserve a seat or two for your family.

The only time that I have had an issue with boarding is when you show up late for boarding or you don't check into your flight the day before your flight.

In the end, if you get separated from your family for a short flight, it is honestly not that big of deal. If it is a big deal, then just pay a few dollars more for an early bird check in or an upgrade at the gate, and it will likely still be cheaper than using a different airline.

I hope they let you all go on, but since they do have a pay-for boarding system, they may not. This is one reason I will never fly Southwest.

It is no different then every other airlines charging extra for isle or window seats. I mean it is pick your poison. It is funny how so many people are offended by the early bird, which is completely optional, but will willingly pay for aisle/window AND bags on other airlines.

We have pre-boarded, but only had 1 disabled person. I went with my son and then my husband did family boarding with our youngest. Since the "other' is a minor, they could go one of two ways - either allow you all to board together or have you board with the twins and your husband wait with your son. We always pay for Early Bird check-in and use that instead. It's so much easier. THe only time we've used pre-board has been when our flight was cancelled and we were re-booked on a flight and ended up with the last tickets on the plane. No way we would have been able to do that.

I am traveling in March. I need wheelchair assistance and 1 of the other adults has O2 so both of us will pre-board. We are also traveling with another adult and 2 children. My thinking is that both of us pre-boarding will take the kids with us and the other adult can board in the regular line probably ending up sitting with either of our groups that pre-boarded.

I am traveling in March. I need wheelchair assistance and 1 of the other adults has O2 so both of us will pre-board. We are also traveling with another adult and 2 children. My thinking is that both of us pre-boarding will take the kids with us and the other adult can board in the regular line probably ending up sitting with either of our groups that pre-boarded.

I am sure they will let you do that, but the 1 person that is allocated to go with the pre board person is supposed to be to help them. Unless, of course, they are travelling with only their children. If they see that you have an able adult to be with the kids, they might not let you board with them. More likely then not, they will just let your whole group go. The pre-board is not really supposed to be a free front of the line pass. They like to save the front rows for those that need the assistance, so the kids would probably be seated in the row behind so that those who need it can sit in the front. It will all depend on who is working that day. I would have a back up plan in case they do not allow you to do this and have the kids stay with the able adult.

When doing preboard for myself and husband from the Orlando airport, we noticed a family of 3. The grandmother was in a wheelchair along with an adult and a pre-teen. They would allow only one companion whether it was the adult or the child. The adult kept complaining because she said the grandmother was not mobile and she would have to help her to her seat...the child could not do it. It took a looooooong time but the gate agent finally said okay and let all 3 preboard.

As long as one adult can preboard with the boys and the other stays with my daughter, we are good to go!

A few weeks ago my daughter (10), mother and I made a quick trip to Universal using Southwest. We were all on the same itinerary. My mom needed a wheelchair in the airport and had a portable oxygen concentrator which meant she had to sit in next to a window and not on an exit row. At check in we were all marked preboard since I needed t assist my mom and my daughter was young. I don’t think they would separate you since you have 2 needing assistance by the two adults and the 5th is a child. If he were a teenager they might separate you but not with a child.

I am sure they will let you do that, but the 1 person that is allocated to go with the pre board person is supposed to be to help them. Unless, of course, they are travelling with only their children. If they see that you have an able adult to be with the kids, they might not let you board with them. More likely then not, they will just let your whole group go. The pre-board is not really supposed to be a free front of the line pass. They like to save the front rows for those that need the assistance, so the kids would probably be seated in the row behind so that those who need it can sit in the front. It will all depend on who is working that day. I would have a back up plan in case they do not allow you to do this and have the kids stay with the able adult.
The kids are 8 & 11 and the 11 yo is taller than I am so they can help carry and stow the carryons.

I just flew home yesterday with my mom in a wheelchair and my 12yo. They said only one assistant per person. That she would take my mom to her seat and I could wait in line with my daughter. That only 12 and under could accompany. I told her my daughter is 12 so they let her come with us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter