Anyone receive Airline refunds instead of credits?

No insurance purchased. I am thinking the offer of cash back is because it is NOT a domestic flight. SIL had AM flight to Calgary cancelled and received no such offer.
My flight that I received the cash back on was domestic. No insurance on mine either.

Just called and they are holding fast to their Credit only for two years policy. I tried to tell them others were getting the non expiry option and credits of AM and the person I had wasn't swayed at all. She said it was Airmiles policy as Air Canada wasn't giving them any other option.

Called Air Canada and they said they are working with travel agents to expand the non-expiry policy to others who didn't book directly with Air Canada.

I will keep trying.

Yes via Delta. 4 tickets from Atlanta to Albany(NY) for July 2020 travel, fully refunded. The reason we received a refund is that the original direct flight was no longer available.

Just called and they are holding fast to their Credit only for two years policy. I tried to tell them others were getting the non expiry option and credits of AM and the person I had wasn't swayed at all. She said it was Airmiles policy as Air Canada wasn't giving them any other option.

Called Air Canada and they said they are working with travel agents to expand the non-expiry policy to others who didn't book directly with Air Canada.

I will keep trying.
Don't give up hope. They changed their thoughts on my flights several times before I got the refund.

I'm like a dog with a bone on this one today. I called again and got an agent who is actually willing to call Air Canada and see if she can get the non-expiry vouchers for me. I told her I don't want a refund I just want to be able to travel beyond the 2 year time limit I've been given.

I hope this one works. Waiting for her to call back.

We got an email from Westjet regarding getting a full refund this past weekend, 2 of our party had booked directly thru westjet for the plane tickets, the rest of us used airmiles. My wife called and arranged for the refund already but I am now VERY curious on the refunding of the airmiles.

There used to be many direct flights between Edmonton and LAX, but in recent years the direct flights have been too expensive
They still have these regularly, in fact our cancelled trip from May (Stupid Stupid covid) was a non stop flight and the price was quite good. Air Canada does not have a direct flight but Westjet does.

I'd be happy with that too. I purchased my flights on Air Canada through Airmiles and Airmiles put a 2 year cap (at the time) on the credit for the flights. I'd be happy to have them keep the Airmiles if they would just extend it to non-expiring like Air Canada. I know I will be using them down the road I just don't know how far down the road that is.

I'm going to call this coming week and see if anything has changed.
If you wouldn't mind reporting back and relaying any information you find out would be a huge help. :)

They still have these regularly, in fact our cancelled trip from May (Stupid Stupid covid) was a non stop flight and the price was quite good. Air Canada does not have a direct flight but Westjet does.

Thanks for the info. I just went to the Westjet website and picked a random day in July 2021, and the cheapest flight was a direct flight. Whether the United States has Covid under control by next July is another issue...

We got an email from Westjet regarding getting a full refund this past weekend, 2 of our party had booked directly thru westjet for the plane tickets, the rest of us used airmiles. My wife called and arranged for the refund already but I am now VERY curious on the refunding of the airmiles.
Wow, that's very interesting. We had two flights with WJ cancelled, August and October, and have not heard about refunds for either of those. May I ask when your original flights were scheduled for?

I would fight like H*** to get a refund since they cancelled your flight.

I was hoping for a cancelledd flight this past May but NO, so 6 of us have a credit to fly before SEPT 2022. GOD willing!

Wow, that's very interesting. We had two flights with WJ cancelled, August and October, and have not heard about refunds for either of those. May I ask when your original flights were scheduled for?
hi there @bcwife76. Our trip was supposed to have been from May 1- May 9/20. We had 4 people using airmiles and 2 people booked directly thru westjet... We got the email regarding the ability to get a refund on those 2 tickets last Friday, so that would have been Oct 2/20. I am hopeful that we get some sort of communication from Airmiles regarding a refund of our points, as it stands now we have a "credit" that we have to book by the end of Feb of 2021 and we have to finish our travel by the end of May 2021 which is looking really sketchy right now.

Hope that helps.

hi there @bcwife76. Our trip was supposed to have been from May 1- May 9/20. We had 4 people using airmiles and 2 people booked directly thru westjet... We got the email regarding the ability to get a refund on those 2 tickets last Friday, so that would have been Oct 2/20. I am hopeful that we get some sort of communication from Airmiles regarding a refund of our points, as it stands now we have a "credit" that we have to book by the end of Feb of 2021 and we have to finish our travel by the end of May 2021 which is looking really sketchy right now.

Hope that helps.
Thank you very much! I really hope you are able to get a refund for the other two tickets from Airmiles.

And that would explain why Air Canada isn't giving refunds. They are still flying to Orlando, the route was suspended for a short period but it's not now. So it is just that I don't feel comfortable flying with them at this point in time that is the reason I am unable to use my credit. Hence no refund :(

Last edited:
And that would explain why Air Canada isn't giving refunds. They are still flying to Orlando,, they route was suspended for a short period but it's not now. So it is just that I don't feel comfortable flying with them at this point in time that is the reason I am unable to use my credit. Hence no refund :(

Thought of calling Westjet but now it looks like no refund for us either, they are resuming direct flights to Orlando next month.

Took me months but finally got back cash from AC through my cc for my cancellation penalties to Rome for my cruise in June, and WJ for flights I cancelled to MCO at March break. It took months but was worth the effort. I cancelled my Greek cruise out of Rome on my PIF date as Canada was already asking people not to go internationally. Disney refunded all my payment and AC for my flights holding back 300 a ticket refusing to give a credit voucher as the federal advisory wasn't mandated at that point. They refused to budge despite many attempts on my part. The cruise was cancelled as were the flights eventually so I filed a claim through my Passport Visa card. After waiting for months, it was turned down. I called in and had it reassessed by one of the managers. She was awesome and the next day told me it had been approved. I got a cheque for 900.00. I contacted WJ on their FB site. Again took months but they did refund cancelled March Break trips as a cash refund instead of a credit. I think I was extremely lucky but was also very tenacious.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!