Anyone receive the survey about future properties?

What if Disney were to re-brand the Paradise Pier Hotel‎ and covert a number of rooms into DVC? I would love to see that happen.

Rumor when the new wing was built at VGC which includes DVC rooms is that the hotel rooms were built in a way to be easily converted to DVC. If you look at the Dues budget for VGC, these hotel rooms are included, so there is some connection.

It does. That is the main reason we went to San Francisco last summer— to see the Disney museum. But even at the Presidio complex there were homeless people. Not right at the museum, but on the grounds. We walked around the area, partly to get views of the bridge. They were all over. In the bushes, lying in front of doors blocking the path. It was very sad for us to see the Disney museum there. Beautiful building/s but such a strange city. Sorry if I seem harsh, but I am honest. We went to several other sites in the city, and homeless people were pretty much everywhere, some in your face, yelling. We saw used needles on the sidewalk in two places. The smells were intense. We had planned on staying another day but left early. Sure, there were plenty of people who seemed economically well off, but overall the city had a dark vibe. NYC is a mess but I find NYC still has a positive energy overall. I just got back from nyc and I did not see any needles anywhere. There were homeless people but not an overwhelming number and they were not threatening like in SF. Maybe we were just in SF on the worst day ever! But I do not think we will ever go back to find out. We did a lot of research on parking, and apparently San Francisco is the only city in the US where you cannot park your car and be reasonably sure it will not be broken into. Even the cruise and pier lots are run by some kind of mafia that break into your car while you are gone. We cruise a lot, so I have read a lot about different cruise port parking lots. Even in places like nyc, LA, Miami, and New Orleans there are relatively safe places to park your car. Your car is generally safe at port parking. But apparently not San Francisco. Read the reviews.

Again, I'm sorry you had a bad experience. You say "strange city" as if there is some cookie cutter blueprint for how a city is supposed to be that SF isn't following. Every city in the world is unique with its own issues. SF just wasn't your cup of tea. I didn't believe you when you said it was your least favorite city, but all you had to respond with was a simple line like "it just wasn't for us" to which I would have accepted, instead of a whole trip report.

No city is perfect, but San Francisco is still an awesome, unique place that will continue to attract millions of visitors and new businesses each year. In the future if someone asks you about San Francisco (or any city for that matter) you should definitely tell people of your experience good or bad, but always still encourage them to go and let them judge for themselves.

End of discussion on topic.

Might be able to pick up a failing ski resort..... cheap. Maybe all their experience with the Skyliner at WDW has them thinking. 🤓
We are NH residents - are you kidding me? I'll bet it is the crumbling resort at Crawford Notch! Gorgeous location!

We are NH residents - are you kidding me? I'll bet it is the crumbling resort at Crawford Notch! Gorgeous location!
I wouldn't mind Magic Mountain in Vermont, it's about a hour from my house. The mountain was bought out and made to be a private resort, but I believe it's in bankruptcy now. Has some great terrain, haven't skied Crawford though.

Again, I'm sorry you had a bad experience. You say "strange city" as if there is some cookie cutter blueprint for how a city is supposed to be that SF isn't following. Every city in the world is unique with its own issues. SF just wasn't your cup of tea. I didn't believe you when you said it was your least favorite city, but all you had to respond with was a simple line like "it just wasn't for us" to which I would have accepted, instead of a whole trip report.

No city is perfect, but San Francisco is still an awesome, unique place that will continue to attract millions of visitors and new businesses each year. In the future if someone asks you about San Francisco (or any city for that matter) you should definitely tell people of your experience good or bad, but always still encourage them to go and let them judge for themselves.

End of discussion on topic.

Obviously, San Francisco wasn’t for us.:crazy2: And I never told other people not to go there... all I said was that it was MY least favorite city. You seemed to question that, so I spelled out the big reasons we did not like it. Of course, it is just my perspective. I guess I thought that was understood. I have no problem with other folks loving San Francisco.:blush:

I wouldn't mind Magic Mountain in Vermont, it's about a hour from my house. The mountain was bought out and made to be a private resort, but I believe it's in bankruptcy now. Has some great terrain, haven't skied Crawford though.
I don't know if there is a ski area near/attached to that resort. I know it has been "under development" for basically, forever but no one ever has the funds necessary to bring it back to it's Victorian glory (think GFV)...but Disney does....I'd buy DIRECT LOL! If you ever get a chance to drive by - it just takes your breath away, regardless of location. Bring either on!

I can't help but feel like there are big plans for the future of DVC and that is why these new resale restrictions have been implemented..... But I wonder, would I be more likely to buy DVC direct if it meant I could stay at Disney Sea, etc.....??? Curious....Would this strongly change anyone's mind about buying direct vs resale?

Right, the flip side of resale restrictions is that they'd protect Orlando if DVC expands outside of Orlando. We hear all the time of people complaining of those buying cheap resale points at HHI, Vero, and Aulani to use at WDW. If there's a growth phase outside of Orlando those resorts would likely also be cheaper resale, so resale restrictions would then dissuade people from buying cheap points just to flip them to WDW. It might not make 7 month switching at WDW any easier but it would not make it any worse, like it could if the old system continued.

a Disney Ski Resort in New England? For us northeast coast people.....

Sign me up :D

The problem with the other DVC spots outside the parks is the lack of an overall resort feeling with the exception of Aulani (to a certain degree).

Given history of off-site resorts, any of these taste like hubris for the current leadership.

"Those other guys failed, but we are sooooo smart we'll do great!"

I can’t believe they’re thinking of trying this again. And doubt they actually will.

Rumor when the new wing was built at VGC which includes DVC rooms is that the hotel rooms were built in a way to be easily converted to DVC. If you look at the Dues budget for VGC, these hotel rooms are included, so there is some connection.
FWIW, either way it would fall under the zoning cap currently in force in Anaheim, and a CUP would be required to convert a hotel unit to timeshare. Anaheim really is not in favor of this. Converting up to the limit at VGC is a lot more likely than a PP conversion, just because of how the hotel unit restrictions are written, I think, IANAL etc.

Ski resorts are seasonal and seasonality is going to have issues for DVC (it already does for VB and HHI) which aren't going to make it past the number crunching portion of researching these ideas. The Caribbean idea has the problem of getting people to the island. And international locations have issues with international law and stability issues with other countries (how much do you TRUST the Chinese government?)

(Oh, and I love SF, wouldn't want to live there, but its an awesome city to visit. Yes, lots of homeless people - but we were just in LA and San Francisco doesn't even start to compare. Portland, Seattle, DC....pick a temperate climate and a high cost of living and you'll have lots of homeless. We just left Sydney, Australia and lots of homeless there - it isn't a U.S. problem. But if homelessness is an issue - come visit us in Minnesota in February! Our homeless migrate if they can)

Chances are that DVC are only seriously interested in one or two locations out of the many given in the survey. The others will just be there as a decoy and it does not matter whether you say you're interested or not in those.

Ski resorts are seasonal and seasonality is going to have issues for DVC (it already does for VB and HHI) which aren't going to make it past the number crunching portion of researching these ideas. The Caribbean idea has the problem of getting people to the island. And international locations have issues with international law and stability issues with other countries (how much do you TRUST the Chinese government?)
Most ski areas, at least in New England, are becoming year round destinations with adding down hill mountain biking, zip lining, and mountain coasters. In fact, Berkshire East in my neck of the woods has a better mountain biking season now, than a ski season.

Most ski areas, at least in New England, are becoming year round destinations with adding down hill mountain biking, zip lining, and mountain coasters. In fact, Berkshire East in my neck of the woods has a better mountain biking season now, than a ski season.

There is a lot of difference in a timeshare between becoming and is. The Colorado resorts have had offseason activities for years, just like the East Coast - but they aren't usually the draw that the slopes are - and often, when the do become the draw that the slopes are - it's because skiing has gotten less popular at the location (skiing has gone from expensive to punishing, and around here, a lot of people are dropping very expensive sports like skiing and hockey (this is Minnesota, when some high schools can't field a hockey team due to the expense, you know things are changing). Disney is sure to do their market research and discover if they can sell a "ski" resort year round, as well as what the trends are for ski destinations. (A family friend owned a ski resort).

We were in Aspen for a few days last summer and it was empty. Beautiful, but empty. But I do hope they do a ski resort for dvc. We would go any time of year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter