Anyone see this as interesting or is it just me

Excess mortality is what Daniel Defoe used in Journal of the Plague Year to identify plague deaths not recorded as plague. If in the first week of the month 15 people died last year in a certain parish before the plague and now with the plague it is 30 people dead you can assume the difference to be plague related. That book was published 298 years ago about events in 1665.

I hate that phrase. Somebody please bury it!

Are you collecting a paycheck? Do you own a business that has been locked down for over two months? When was the last time you got together with friends and family members? Did a loved one die but you couldn’t hold a proper funeral? This isn’t normal and no one will ever convince me that it is.
No the shutdown isn't normal but the social distancing part is going to be around for awhile. That's what I meant as new normal.

No the shutdown isn't normal but the social distancing part is going to be around for awhile. That's what I meant as new normal.
Well, people want to open their businesses with temporary social distancing measures in place and are being denied that opportunity.

Well, people want to open their businesses with temporary social distancing measures in place and are being denied that opportunity.
Depends on what part of the country you're in. Social distancing won't be temporary. Here in Canada they expect social distancing to be in place til a treatment or cure happens.

Likely because the general population cannot be trusted to actually socially distance. It is very tricky to enforce and most business owners are just not up to the task, even if they try hard. Enforcement is hard and often impossible, even with good intentions.

Likely because the general population cannot be trusted to actually socially distance. It is very tricky to enforce and most business owners are just not up to the task, even if they try hard. Enforcement is hard and often impossible, even with good intentions.
We can’t be trusted to self-police our own businesses? Seriously? Only some pencil pusher in government that has a modicum of training in the field we work in has a better idea of how to keep myself, my employees and my clients safe?

We can’t be trusted to self-police our own businesses? Seriously? Only some pencil pusher in government that has a modicum of training in the field we work in has a better idea of how to keep myself, my employees and my clients safe?

You are hilarious. Those "pencil pushers" are medical professionals who know how viruses work and how they are transmitted. They 100% have a better idea of "how to keep myself, my employees and my clients safe." A virus works the same no matter what kind of business you are running, come on.

I realize that *some* people might be able to self-police their own businesses, but the government would be taking a huge gamble. If you don't self-police properly, people inside your shop get sick, then go elsewhere and get other people sick. Now, multiply this by every business in town. Also, as a business owner, what are you going to do if someone refuses to socially distance or wear a mask? Are you going to physically fight them? You could call the police, but how long before they get there?

I thought it was obvious that people can't be trusted.

How many stories are out there where COVID spread because a Church didn't close or a protest without use of masks happened?

Just say'in.

You are hilarious. Those "pencil pushers" are medical professionals who know how viruses work and how they are transmitted. They 100% have a better idea of "how to keep myself, my employees and my clients safe." A virus works the same no matter what kind of business you are running, come on.

I realize that *some* people might be able to self-police their own businesses, but the government would be taking a huge gamble. If you don't self-police properly, people inside your shop get sick, then go elsewhere and get other people sick. Now, multiply this by every business in town. Also, as a business owner, what are you going to do if someone refuses to socially distance or wear a mask? Are you going to physically fight them? You could call the police, but how long before they get there?
What are the businesses that ARE open doing? How are they any more responsible than this small business owner, about whom you know nothing? Why can 100 people be wandering the aisles of my local grocery store but not a single person can enter my establishment? What makes you think that I am incapable of setting and following guidelines that ultimately keep everyone safe?

I thought it was obvious that people can't be trusted.

How many stories are out there where COVID spread because a Church didn't close or a protest without use of masks happened?

Just say'in.
How many of those “stories” have been fact checked?

Just sayin’

How many of those “stories” have been fact checked?

Just sayin’

I don't understand your question or inference. Are you any public gatherings of people is not a risk for spreading COVID-19?

Businesses that are open, at least here in NJ where we've been hit incredibly hard, are mandating masks, nightly cleaning, restrictions on how many people are allowed in at a time, marking the ground of where you can stand, installing shields and guards for cashiers, wiping down carts, issuing public guidance on how to act within the building, generating awareness for the disease and how to stay safe. These are all the walmarts and grocery stores that are open right now.

I don't know what kind of business you run, and maybe you're an awesome owner that will do a lot of these things. But can you say every small business out there that wants to be open can be trusted to do so properly and safely?

There was a story in the news here in NJ about an idiot gym owner that wanted to open early. That kind of thing puts the public at risk.

My point is you can't trust people at large. And with an easily spread disease other people's stupid decisions effect me and you.

Many things about COVID are not understood by medical professionals, so this isn't entirely unreasonable. COVID can attack vital organs...some people have kidney trouble brought on by COVID and some do not. As I said, it is not well understood and attacks everyone somewhat differently. So, if someone has COVID and then they die, I don't think it is unreasonable for the doctor to assume that COVID was the deciding factor.

Which is it @WDW_Ding, is there many things the medical professionals don’t understand or do they know how this virus works?
You are attacking a lot of people in this thread but we are all (like you) trying to sort through the information out there.
There are not two sides to COVID. It kills people and there is no treatment. What is "the other side" about that?
@Cambellzsoup did not claim there was a treatment for covid or that Covid had killed no one. Did anyone here?
You asked people not to post half truths, I would encourage you to worry about yourself.

Which is it @WDW_Ding, is there many things the medical professionals don’t understand or do they know how this virus works?
You are attacking a lot of people in this thread but we are all (like you) trying to sort through the information out there.

It's both. I thought that was obvious. They are learning more and more every day, but they have some underlying understanding of how the virus works and how it's spread. These experts are experts for a reason. They've studied this stuff their whole professional lives.

Are you serious? Medical professionals know how *viruses* work and how they are transmitted. How this virus affects the body is still be learned, but it is still a virus. At the risk of repeating myself, medical professionals understand how viruses work, in general.

It's both. I thought that was obvious. They are learning more and more every day, but they have some underlying understanding of how the virus works and how it's spread. These experts are experts for a reason. They've studied this stuff their whole professional lives.

Thank you!

Really? The person in charge of making the decisions in my state is not a virologist or epidemiologist. The person has a background in pediatrics and eating disorders. Not exactly someone who studied viruses all of their adult life.

Really? The person in charge of making the decisions in my state is not a virologist or epidemiologist. The person has a background in pediatrics and eating disorders. Not exactly someone who studied viruses all of their adult life.

I don't know what state you are in or the exact circumstances, but don't you think that person is getting advice from other medical professionals and consults with other medical professionals?

Also, I'll trust a medical doctor with a "background in pediatrics and eating disorders" over any random small business owner, that's for sure.

It seems to me that there is just a lack of trust on your part. You don't want to trust the government, or medical professionals, or anyone with any expertise and authority. You just want to do what you want to do, everything else be damned.

I also think it's been here a lot longer than people think. I believe in Ohio at least there was a trace of someone having it in January, and places in Cali since December.

I do think it's clear it's not as deadly as the media tried to make it out to be.
I am positive that I had it in Feb. had All the symptoms and tested negative for the flu.

I don't know what state you are in or the exact circumstances, but don't you think that person is getting advice from other medical professionals and consults with other medical professionals?

Also, I'll trust a medical doctor with a "background in pediatrics and eating disorders" over any random small business owner, that's for sure.

It seems to me that there is just a lack of trust on your part. You don't want to trust the government, or medical professionals, or anyone with any expertise and authority. You just want to do what you want to do, everything else be damned.
And who do you think “some random small business owner” might be getting their advice from? The same type of individuals who are directing Disney in a safe way of opening up and managing the flow of people thru their resorts and parks, maybe? Do you really think that “some random small business owner” is just throwing open their doors with no thought as to how to deal with this pandemic. Do you really think they are just damn stupid?

Don’t you dare judge me! You know nothing of my business, my educational background or how much I know about infectious diseases but I would bet money that I know a hell of a lot more than you!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!