Anyone stayed at Universal Sheraton or Hilton?

sarha

<font color=darkcoral>Disneyland is a new experien
We're going to Universal and doing some Hollywood touring before moving yo the Grand Californian, so I'm looking for a hotel near Universal for the first part of our vacation.
I'm thinking of the Universal Sheraton or the Universal Hilton because they're central to our touring. Has anyone stayed at either of these hotels?

Thanks...Sarha

Hi,

I just stayed at the Universal Sheraton last month. It has a great shuttle service to universal studios that actually runs from both the sheraton/Hilton every 15 mintues or so. Didn't have any problems at the hotel, actually saw a few celeb's while we were there as they were having a SAG meeting on site. I would recommend it if you are doing Hollywood stuff.. :thumbsup2

Thanks Lynann. I was a little worried about the Sheraton because Tripadvisor as a couple of negative reviews.

I had a horrible experience at the Sheraton. They had a prom on the night we were there. There were not enough elevators and we had to stand in line to board. We also were continually promised our room would be ready "in a minute". If they had any balls, they would have said, "it looks like it will be 3 hours, we humbly apologize" So we missed Universal that afternoon "waiting". The wouldn't even let us up to the concierge lounge (we were booked on that floor). Nobody was answering the phones at the desk, either.

We stayed at Hilton Universal the following year and were extremely satisfied - we would stay there again in a minute.

We stayed at the Sheraton Universal as part of our Honeymoon Trip in May 2003. It was a great hotel and wonderful experience. They were able to book our Front of Line passes for Universal for us, which I would highly recommend. From memory they offered a great discount on these.

The shuttle service is good too, although we found it just as easy to walk back from Universal as its all downhill and doesn't take long. In fact we were even walking up there on occasion when we felt energetic.

The hotel was very quiet when we were there. My only complaint was that there didn't seem to be much staff about and you had to go looking if you wanted to ask someone a question. That said the Bellhops were wonderful and provided us with some great sightseeing info and shopping tips for the area.

HTH

My DW and I had our wedding reception at the Universal Hilton a few years ago. Between the Hilton and Sheraton, we felt the Hilton was more appealing to us. We love going back there every year to celebrate our anniversary. In fact, whether you decide to stay there or not, you should check out their seafood buffet held Thursday to Sunday evenings. It's pricey at around $40/person but it's totally worth it!

Some of the reviews I've read have said that the Sheraton was a bit run down and that the rooms were in need of renovation. I believe they also said the staff wasn't very friendly/attentive.
The rates are a little better at the Sheraton so I booked a room, but if the Hilton is in better shape than I'd rather switch.

I stayed there a couple years ago when I went to a conference. I didn't do any touring, so location was key as the conference was on site. It was an okay hotel, but nothing fantastic. It's a good thing you're going to the Grand Californian after otherwise it would be quite a let-down to go from there to the Sheraton.

I never thought of the facility/rooms rundown, they were fine to me. My complaints above were more of a customer service. Friday night was awful, and it did not seem like they made any effort to improve things on Saturday.

But the room was comfy enough.

Hands down - I'd stay at the Hilton! We stayed at the Sheraton after our stay at the Grand Californian, summer 2004. ugh! talk about let-down. Our room really needed an updating - it was rather depressing. We checked out of the Sheraton and moved over to the Hilton for our final night. What a great room! Huge difference.

Thanks everybody!!
I'm going to try booking the Hilton :-)

Hey, I just realized I've been tagged !!

We will be staying at the Sheraton for 2 nights before we go to the GCH in July. We booked a pool-side room because we plan to spend time at the pool. Anyone ever use the pool at the Sheraton? We have 4 kids (4, 6, 9, and 17) and they LOVE swimming!

JULIE

Has anyone stayed in the Shrek Suite at the Sheraton Universal? I'm just wondering if it is worth an additional $200/night more than a standard room.

We are going down in Nov and are doing 2 days at Universal and I WANTED the hilton but it seemed to be booked on the night in question so I am trying the Sheraton instead. I sure hope it is ok but we will only be there one night as it is.

Good to hear all the info. Guess we will take our chances. :)

wintergreen said:
Has anyone stayed in the Shrek Suite at the Sheraton Universal? I'm just wondering if it is worth an additional $200/night more than a standard room.

I would love to see how that is decorated, does anyone have any pictures?

We stayed at the Sheraton two years ago on the club floor level. Our room was very nice. The only problem was, they won't give you a cot because only two beds are allowed in the rooms. Since my two teens won't sleep together, my son slept on the floor.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter