Anyone think status should be based on days cruised rather than cruises?

I agree and this is one of the things that pushed us to try other cruise lines. DCL has a price structure that favors sectors of the population in order to keep prices high on the rest of the population. They offer incredibly steep discounts to travel agents and people in the travel community (airline industry, etc), steep discounts to cast members, decent discounts to people in the military, and decent discounts to certain arbitrary geographical regions (Canadians over NYorkers out of NY makes no sense). So many people are discounted on DCL that people who pay regular pricing are in the minority on the ships. If you talk to people on Disney cruises, you quickly figure this out. The people who do pay regular pricing are subsidizing the discounts. I got tired of subsidizing Florida residents and travel agents (even though I love Florida residents and travel agents!). I do not mind subsidizing people in the military-- but that's it. For the CM subsidy, I am on the fence. Other cruise lines do similar discounts for groups, but they also open up discounts to the general public. CCL and others really are trying to fill their ships and are more open with last minute discounts. Plus, the difference between what a travel agent pays on Carnival or Royal and a regular customer pays is not as stark.
I know I will get people responding that Disney can charge what they want.... I know. But I have also figured out that unlike the parks, with cruising, there are other options out there. And I have found them to be of similar quality or even (gasp) better. There is a Seinfeld episode where he returns a jacket for spite. Sometimes I feel like that with DCL's price structure. lol.
Don't all cruise lines offer these same type of discounts? I'm pretty sure they do.

Don't all cruise lines offer these same type of discounts? I'm pretty sure they do.

Similar, but very different. As I pointed out in my other post, other lines also open up deep discounts to the general population on a regular basis, but DCL almost never does this. DCL prefers to fill their ships with people paying almost nothing instead of opening up discounted prices to the general population. They do not want the general population to stop paying inflated prices, so the general population never sees any discounts. And the disparity with other lines is not as stark. If I subsidize the military on Carnival, I am not being gouged to do so.
It reminds me a bit of private colleges. They get a minority of students to pay full price, which tends to be an outrageous price that does not represent the real cost of the service, whereas the majority pay far less, data shows most less than half of the sticker price. The difference here is that ideally these college prices are income sensitive and not arbitrary. Still, only the super wealthy feel comfortable paying that sticker price. The upper middle class, who can "afford" to pay that sticker price but are more price sensitive, tend to send their kids to state schools- or likely incur debt at private colleges and remain resentful about the situation.
Disney's discrimination has an added arbitrary quality to it that you do not get with other lines, plus the price disparity is HUGE. This is very different on other lines.

If they are just trying to fill up the ships, why restrict the discounts to just Florida residents. If I live in Virginia and am willing to pay the last minute travel expenses, why shouldn't I be able to book for the same discount as someone who like in Fl?
But they do have GTY rates as well as IGT, OGT and VGT rates to provide discounts to last minute travelers.

Since the loyalty levels are individually awarded, it shouldn't be part of the rationalization that "I paid for 5 people, so we all should be awarded a higher level."

While I realize it's only my thoughts, I think "loyalty" should be determined by how long you've cruised with any given cruise line (number of nights cruised, not number of cruises). Because number of cruises makes things really unequal - one 4 night cruise being equal to a 15 night cruise.

Just tracking number of nights cruised, equals the playing field more, IMO.
It is like someone else said............whatever system they are using, there will be a group that doesnt feel like it is "fair"

Under your scenario where you say 7 nights should be worth more than 3 nights................that is in fact based on dollars spent as a 7 night cruise cost more than a 3 night cruise. So why not allow the family of 6 on a 4 night cruise benefit the same as a couple on a 10 night cruise. Heck, the amount paid for the 6 on a 4 night cruise might be more than the couple on a 10 night cruise.

I think some people are forgetting that if you have a large family, you may not be able to afford all of your cruises to be 7 nights or longer yet you are just as valuable to DCL as the party of 2 taking those longer cruises because of the money you spend for your vacation.

Clearly there are a lot of execs at DCL that have discussed this numerous times and they find the current system the one that they like.

But they do have GTY rates as well as IGT, OGT and VGT rates to provide discounts to last minute travelers.

I really noticed this a few years ago when I was on a Disney cruise where every passenger I spoke with was a cast member. Literally. I feel like if huge amounts of people on the cruises are cast members or travel industry that is a sign that the rates for the general public are inflated.

Not sure that is always true. I just looked at the 5/21 dream 4 night and here is what is current.

verandah room - normally booked $2,840, VGT is $2,288 and FLR $2,168
But still, the Florida rate is lower. Travel industry rates are stunningly lower than even the Florida rate. I am not knocking targeted discounts, but DCL has a price disparity that is IMHO nuts. And I do not like the arbitrary nature of their price "rewards." The loyalty club would be an appropriate place to reward. Carnival, for example, some times offers those rock bottom rates through their loyalty program.

Similar, but very different. As I pointed out in my other post, other lines also open up deep discounts to the general population on a regular basis, but DCL almost never does this. DCL prefers to fill their ships with people paying almost nothing instead of opening up discounted prices to the general population. They do not want the general population to stop paying inflated prices, so the general population never sees any discounts. And the disparity with other lines is not as stark. If I subsidize the military on Carnival, I am not being gouged to do so.
It reminds me a bit of private colleges. They get a minority of students to pay full price, which tends to be an outrageous price that does not represent the real cost of the service, whereas the majority pay far less, data shows most less than half of the sticker price. The difference here is that ideally these college prices are income sensitive and not arbitrary. Still, only the super wealthy feel comfortable paying that sticker price. The upper middle class, who can "afford" to pay that sticker price but are more price sensitive, tend to send their kids to state schools- or likely incur debt at private colleges and remain resentful about the situation.
Disney's discrimination has an added arbitrary quality to it that you do not get with other lines, plus the price disparity is HUGE. This is very different on other lines.
I don't think that many rooms on a ships are being sold at huge discounts unless there's a cruise that just doesn't sell at all. My guess is about 10%-20% of the rooms. I understand why they don't discount to general public. I'm not defending DCL. I just cant blame a corporation for doing what works for them. I as the consumer have the choice to purchase or not to purchase the product.

I don't care what other people pay for their cruise only what I pay and I'm not going to book a cruise I feel is overpriced. Maybe if I was like some people on this board who will only cruise with DCL I'd be more put off by it.

I really noticed this a few years ago when I was on a Disney cruise where every passenger I spoke with was a cast member. Literally. I feel like if huge amounts of people on the cruises are cast members or travel industry that is a sign that the rates for the general public are inflated.
Funny you say that as we have been on 18 cruises and have never met someone on board that was a cast member.

I remember meeting a travel agent or two though.

I don't think that many rooms on a ships are being sold at huge discounts unless there's a cruise that just doesn't sell at all. My guess is about 10%-20% of the rooms. I understand why they don't discount to general public. I'm not defending DCL. I just cant blame a corporation for doing what works for them. I as the consumer have the choice to purchase or not to purchase the product.

I don't care what other people pay for their cruise only what I pay and I'm not going to book a cruise I feel is overpriced. Maybe if I was like some people on this board who will only cruise with DCL I'd be more put off by it.
I never said DCL could not do what they want... I just said I do not like it! It is a real turn off for me. And I have friends who work in the travel industry and those rates are offered a lot-- but just to select groups. It is discrimination, perfectly legal discrimination, but it doesn't sit well with me.

Her is an example of the OGT vs FL rate for the June 30th 11 night Southern Carb.
OGT rate for 2 people $9210.16
FL in OV rate for 2 people $6850.16

Everyone should be able to pay $2420 less, whether you live in FL or not ???
While I dont disagree with you..........Disney across the board has always rewarded those that live in Florida with discounts. The parks have FL res discounted annual passes, discounted hotel rooms, etc.

Funny you say that as we have been on 18 cruises and have never met someone on board that was a cast member.

I remember meeting a travel agent or two though.

Because the CMs keep that info to themselves so they can have a vacation and not be pestered with questions about Disney. They have created stories about what they do that they know well enough they can’t slip up.

It is like someone else said............whatever system they are using, there will be a group that doesnt feel like it is "fair"

Under your scenario where you say 7 nights should be worth more than 3 nights................that is in fact based on dollars spent as a 7 night cruise cost more than a 3 night cruise. So why not allow the family of 6 on a 4 night cruise benefit the same as a couple on a 10 night cruise. Heck, the amount paid for the 6 on a 4 night cruise might be more than the couple on a 10 night cruise.

I think some people are forgetting that if you have a large family, you may not be able to afford all of your cruises to be 7 nights or longer yet you are just as valuable to DCL as the party of 2 taking those longer cruises because of the money you spend for your vacation.

Clearly there are a lot of execs at DCL that have discussed this numerous times and they find the current system the one that they like.
I get it. But, I suppose, it depends on what any given company regards as "loyalty".

Loyalty in that you spend a lot of money with them. Or loyalty that you keep returning to use their product.

I wouldn't know how many CMs and TAs were on our cruise since we pretty much keep to ourselves (family time and all) but we had a long wait to get into the terminal at Canaveral and were chatting with the young couple behind us. They told us there were both in college locally and worked at WDW part time and couldn't pass up the chance to take the cruise during spring break. They mentioned they got a very good discount. I didn't ask how much, but it must have been good since that week was one of the more expensive ones. It did get me thinking about discounts though. I get emails from Princess all the time regarding deals (either CA resident or just open to the public) and all sorts of upgrades. I have to admit it makes me think about sailing with them the next time we book a trip.

I wouldn't know how many CMs and TAs were on our cruise since we pretty much keep to ourselves (family time and all) but we had a long wait to get into the terminal at Canaveral and were chatting with the young couple behind us. They told us there were both in college locally and worked at WDW part time and couldn't pass up the chance to take the cruise during spring break. They mentioned they got a very good discount. I didn't ask how much, but it must have been good since that week was one of the more expensive ones. It did get me thinking about discounts though. I get emails from Princess all the time regarding deals (either CA resident or just open to the public) and all sorts of upgrades. I have to admit it makes me think about sailing with them the next time we book a trip.
It can be in the $25 per person per night range.

Yeah, that's false.

I've tracked the CM rates over the last few years and they are low, but not as low as you are making them out to be.
I am not just talking about cm rates but also travel industry. I see you are not really spelling anything out. lol.

I never said DCL could not do what they want... I just said I do not like it! It is a real turn off for me. And I have friends who work in the travel industry and those rates are offered a lot-- but just to select groups. It is discrimination, perfectly legal discrimination, but it doesn't sit well with me.
I blame the people willing to pay the ridiculous prices. I think a lot of people become travel agents for the perks. I can't really blame them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter