Anyone think status should be based on days cruised rather than cruises?

The Plat level is way too low for a top tier level, they do need a higher level.

That being said, this entire thread is about people frustrated some got to plat whole they are stuck on silver or gold and are expressing what they feel is unfairness.

Like other travel industry employee perks, not accruing status by using deeply discounted employee rates should be the rule.

The plat level is so diminished in perks that they really need to rethink it and increase them.
Yes I think they need a higher level.

The way DCL prices are rising I don't think you'll see a lot of people making it to platinum anymore. They really need to offer more. If other cruiselines can do it and charge far less for their cruises I can't understand why DCL doesn't do more for their loyal customers.

I personally would like it to be based on number of days onboard. Many cruise lines base their reward levels on number of days, and other on number of sailings. The down side is if they based it on number of days, those who live close or in Florida can do 3 and 4 night cruises many more times a year than those of us who have to travel, and therefore really rack up the days. :confused3

As long as everyone knows upfront what the rules/terms are it doesn't matter how they do it. Personally I like it being sort of an equalizer in that a person who takes nothing but 3 day cruises in an inside stateroom during the off-season is treated the same as someone who only takes 11 day southern Caribbean cruises in concierge in the middle of the summer.

Yes I think they need a higher level.

The way DCL prices are rising I don't think you'll see a lot of people making it to platinum anymore. They really need to offer more. If other cruiselines can do it and charge far less for their cruises I can't understand why DCL doesn't do more for their loyal customers.

Absolutely.

But as long as they keep offering the 2 day cruises on the West Coast, I still think the advancement in the frequent cruiser program is skewed.

Yes. If I am not mistaken, we'll turn Gold on Carnival during our 6th sailing (our 3rd cruise is coming soon).

(EDIT: Because we chose short cruises for 2018-2019, if we switch to longer cruises it will happen faster.)

After three sailings with DCL we are not even remotely close from being Gold ever. LOL

(EDIT: Because we chose to alternate in between cruise lines.)

Last edited:

Yes. If I am not mistaken, we'll turn Gold on Carnival during our 6th sailing (our 3rd cruise is coming soon).

After three sailings with DCL we are not even remotely close from being Gold ever. LOL
I'm a little confused by this statement, are you not going to be gold on DCL because you haven't been travelling on DCL since Carnival is more affordable?

I ask this because as far as perks go, hitting gold on Carnival during your sixth sailing is pretty much the same as Disney, you get it after your fifth sailing so the perks go into effect on your sixth. Perk wise it seems that you aren't earning them any faster than you would travelling on DCL.

If people weren't willing to pay the high prices dcl would lower the prices. There not just going to fill ships with travel agents. I really don't see it as travel agents exploiting the situation. Most of them probably became travel agents or flight attendants because they love to travel and this is a perk that goes along with it. They also get discounts on resorts, car rentals, airlines tickets etc. I got hired as a flight attendant years ago. My biggest regret is not taking the offer. I chose a different career that I hate.
I work for an Airline and I know about 6 years ago I got an interline rate on a WDW Resort, they have since stopped, I was curious though about airliner Discounts for Cruises. there is a wholesaler that sells deeply discounted " Need to go space" to airliners. I had checked once and DCL was never offered. then I checked today and OMG! Sure it's short notice, but 4 Cruises showed up for end this month and May.. Here is one example:

May 26th Fantasy 7 night western. Per Person plus 123 approx in taxes. 770 USD inside or 970 verandah.. I then checked DCL Website. for 2 people. inside is 4683 and verandha 5061... that is a huge Discount.. Now I didnt complete the booking process, maybe more gets added..

We booked "full" Price for our fall trip. but I have this planned out well in advance.. Sure airliners get super Discounts, but Keep in mind, to use them you really cannot choose your Dates or plan Long term... but I know I Need to check this wholesaler more often now.

I'm a little confused by this statement, are you not going to be gold on DCL because you haven't been travelling on DCL since Carnival is more affordable?

I ask this because as far as perks go, hitting gold on Carnival during your sixth sailing is pretty much the same as Disney, you get it after your fifth sailing so the perks go into effect on your sixth. Perk wise it seems that you aren't earning them any faster than you would travelling on DCL.

No, we alternate in between cruise lines. Also, we don't just cruise with Carnival because they are more affordable but because we simply love them (my husband loves them more than DCL).

You are right, you actually turn Gold on DCL after your 5th cruise. I thought is what after 10. Thanks for the correction.

We could turn Gold way before that with Carnival but unless we change plans, we only chose sailings of 5 days or less until 2020. Those plans may change depending on our situation (jobs, etc.). We'll see.

No, we alternate in between cruise lines. Also, we don't just cruise with Carnival because they are more affordable but because we simply love them (my husband loves them more than DCL).

You are right, you actually turn Gold on DCL after your 5th cruise. I thought is what after 10. Thanks for the correction.

We could turn Gold way before that with Carnival but unless we change plans, we only chose sailings of 5 days or less until 2020. Those plans may change depending on our situation (jobs, etc.). We'll see.
Okay that clears things up. I wasn't trying to imply that you only chose Carnival because they were cheaper. A lot of people enjoy their cruises. I was more just confused at the gold thing. Hopefully you have the opportunity to turn gold on all the cruise lines you enjoy eventually.

I agree with comments that Platinum status really doesn't reward loyalty. One meal at Palo is really the only benefit I see, and we do really enjoy that. The rest are kind of "meh." Lots of much better cruise loyalty programs. Wish we could have real fare discounts, cabin upgrades, free cruises, etc.

But, since it is a loyalty program, how about the number of cruises you have taken on Disney minus the number you have taken on other cruise lines? Heh heh

Okay that clears things up. I wasn't trying to imply that you only chose Carnival because they were cheaper. A lot of people enjoy their cruises. I was more just confused at the gold thing. Hopefully you have the opportunity to turn gold on all the cruise lines you enjoy eventually.

That's a nice goal! :)

I work for an Airline and I know about 6 years ago I got an interline rate on a WDW Resort, they have since stopped, I was curious though about airliner Discounts for Cruises. there is a wholesaler that sells deeply discounted " Need to go space" to airliners. I had checked once and DCL was never offered. then I checked today and OMG! Sure it's short notice, but 4 Cruises showed up for end this month and May.. Here is one example:

May 26th Fantasy 7 night western. Per Person plus 123 approx in taxes. 770 USD inside or 970 verandah.. I then checked DCL Website. for 2 people. inside is 4683 and verandha 5061... that is a huge Discount.. Now I didnt complete the booking process, maybe more gets added..

We booked "full" Price for our fall trip. but I have this planned out well in advance.. Sure airliners get super Discounts, but Keep in mind, to use them you really cannot choose your Dates or plan Long term... but I know I Need to check this wholesaler more often now.
I remember when those used to be the full fare off-season rates. Now there the discounted rates. It makes realize just how much prices have gone up.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!