• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

anyone use touring plans for disneyland?

IMO the data may not be that accurate because of Cars Land opening in June 2012.

Hopefully people that have used it recently will chime in!

Planned my October trip based on Touringplans, and they were WAY off. They had predicted 2's and 3's during the middle of the week while we were there, but it was realistically more like 6's and 7's. For example, POTC was predicted to only be a 10 minute wait during the peak time of the day, but it was more like 30. That underestimation ratio was pretty consistent throughout the park. I'm NOT saying I'd never trust Touringplans again. I'm pretty sure DCA's success after their grand re-opening surprised everyone and threw all predictions out the window. I'm hoping after the newness of Carsland and DCA's makeover wears off, maybe in a year or so, crowd levels will stabilize again and go back to "normal".

Disneyland themselves seems completely unable to predict their own times in real time right now. Got in a line during EMH today that said 10 minutes and turned out to be 35. Wasn't too pleased when it turned out to have used up pretty much the whole hour! I don't know if this is typical but we've also seen a LOT of rides breaking down and it would be difficult for any plans to predict spending a half hour each day in a line for a ride you don't end up getting to ride and having to spend time walking to different rides. The other day the first THREE rides we tried at DCA EMH were down for technical difficulties. And they only have a few rides open at that time!

And by the way keep in mind that the 1 to 10 rankings are relative so it's possible with the new crowd levels that what feels like a 5 or 6 to you is the new 3. These last few days were predicted to be 8-10 by touring plans. I would have thought they were all 9 or 10 based on the fact that it was hard to even walk anywhere but the other day I checked what they were calling them after the fact (based on actual attendance numbers I think) and they were actually only 6's! I was shocked as I don't see how more people could fit in.

Does anybody have a recommendation on what other apps may be better for Disneyland?

We used Ridemax in August 2011. We thought it was brilliant.

Easy to follow itineraries, which allow break times and times for parades etc. you can put in what time you will arrive, how fast you want to tour etc.

You will know what to expect in terms of wait times, and it will work out the shortest waits.
It was busy when we went but we felt the crowds were following us all day. We'd get in a short line, which was then long by the time we got off the ride.

Planned my October trip based on Touringplans, and they were WAY off. They had predicted 2's and 3's during the middle of the week while we were there, but it was realistically more like 6's and 7's. For example, POTC was predicted to only be a 10 minute wait during the peak time of the day, but it was more like 30. That underestimation ratio was pretty consistent throughout the park. I'm NOT saying I'd never trust Touringplans again. I'm pretty sure DCA's success after their grand re-opening surprised everyone and threw all predictions out the window. I'm hoping after the newness of Carsland and DCA's makeover wears off, maybe in a year or so, crowd levels will stabilize again and go back to "normal".

This doesn't sound good. We are going the first week of June and I had looked at the crowd predictor and they were saying 6's and 7's....does that mean that it will actually be 9's and 10's :scared1:. I don't even go to the parks at WDW when they are that bad. I had already figured that with it being June, the crowds will pick up, but I didn't think it would be that bad (we will be there the first week of June). I am hoping that what you said about the newness of Carsland wearing off holds true to when we go.

We used Ridemax in August 2011. We thought it was brilliant.

Easy to follow itineraries, which allow break times and times for parades etc. you can put in what time you will arrive, how fast you want to tour etc.

You will know what to expect in terms of wait times, and it will work out the shortest waits.
It was busy when we went but we felt the crowds were following us all day. We'd get in a short line, which was then long by the time we got off the ride.

Is this available for iPhone? I tried searching for ride as and only saw re max stuff

We used Ridemax for our EE day 3 years ago.

It worked great.

However, I doubt it is very accurate now with Cars Land being so popular. That is the ONLY reason I am not getting it this year.

We are just gonna wing it and see where we get. DS loves to shop, so I think we will be hanging out in DTD more than we have in the past.

I thought Touring Plans was helpful when we did WDW so we're gonna tweak it little bit and try it on this upcoming trip.

Ride Max does NOT just use last year's data- they are constantly in the parks tweaking their formula. They should have CarsLand understood so I wouldn't hesitate to use them.

Touring Plans is notoriously off in DL- after talking to someone on this board who swears by them for WDW I have come to the conclusion that the whole local/in town/ thing DL has going for it is so different than the destination resort of WDW that maybe that is why you have WDW Touring Plans fans and at DL people are so disappointed. Could it be (and I am asking) that because there are so many outside influences on DL attendance (the conventions, the local special events, the habits of locals vs tourists...whatever) that that is why TP can't seem to figure it out? I don't know because RideMax does a great job of it....

FWIW, in the past year I have noticed a LOT of Touring PLans blog posts about DKL... post in the vein of educating WDW people about DL. Many of the TP staffers seem to have spent a lot of time in DL. My guess is that they are making a serious effort to update their DL information.

Of course, who knows when this will sink into their touring plan software... ?

It seems that only in the past year or two, they finally realized that DLR is different from WDW. I have their Unofficial Guide to Disneyland from 2009 and it is almost an exact copy of the WDW book, word for word. Even when it didn't make sense when applied to DLR. I browsed through 2012's and it now seems like they have actually sent people out to DLR to investigate. I don't know how long it will take for them to figure out the patterns here, but it will take a lot to impress me after their thoughtless treatment of DLR previously. That book didn't inspire confidence in their touring plans. I hope they can get it together because I've heard such good things about them for WDW.

I'm curious to see what they say in the 2013 Guide for DLR. But as for the touring plan, I'll wait and see after other people test it. ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter