anyone with any knowedge on cats having a heart attack (sad story)

Dznypal

DIS Veteran
we were on vacation in the world a few weeks ago

our kids come in once a day to check out the house and take care of the cats

with there work schedules they work it out when each one is coming

so our DS was in on wed 1-30 and all the cats were fine--we have 3 14 years 10 years and 2 years

our DD comes in thrus only to discover our 14 year had passed and was laying in the living room

of course our DD freaked out and our DS and her decided to call us to find out what we would handle this if we had been home--we just said call the vet --which she came and picked up our beloved Jasmine--her ashes should be coming soon

anyways we called the vet the next day to see what her throughts were--she thought since it happened so fast and with her age it probably was a heart attack--but of course at this point no way of knowing for sure

we feel terrible like we let he down--if we would have been here could we have done something to save/help her

the scary part is she was just fine the day before

I sure miss my Jazzy--she was a beautiful cat--pure white with big gold eyes

when we got home I just hugged our other 2 cats--they looked at me like where did this come from!!!

if anyone has any thoughts on this please let me know

thanks

We had a "barn cat"...Big Kitty, he was 15 or 16?...he was a miserable old bugger, more dog (he was known to chase the neighboring farms beagles out of the fields) than cat in some ways. He patrolled the barn, but really he preferred hanging out on our porch or on the pool pavers, especially when my Dad was grilling steak or steaming crabs::yes::, although he loathed being the in house. Anyway, there we are one summer afternoon and he laid down on the back brick stairs away from everyone, went to sleep in the sun. Or so we thought when we came upon him.... We also had a beloved dog who had "his spot" on the porch, except early one morning he made his way down to the barn, laid down and that was that.
My point being - I think sometimes Animals just know, and they like to go off and be by themselves/be alone. And 14 is a great age for a cat to get to. Having lost two dogs in the past few years in somewhat tortured ends, I'd consider it a blessing if my beloved pets passed in their sleep.
I'm sorry for the loss of your pet.

Without having a necropsy done there's really no surefire answer. Have you looked up hypercardiomypathy? It can go undetected until the cat's death.

Our last cat passed that quickly, and we were home. I didn't ask the vet for a reason, so I don't know what it was. He was fine all morning. At suppertime, I realized that he hadn't come looking for food. My son found him dead on the bed. (I never would have let my son go looking for the cat if I had any inkling that there could have been an issue.)

I really don't think you let your sweet kitty down, and I don't think there was any suffering which is always a blessing. It's still so hard to have to say goodbye to a pet. I am sorry for your loss.

I had a cat that the vet though had a heart attack. I didn't want to pay for them to do an autopsy to find out exactly what happened. My girl was about 15 and all of a sudden started acting weird. I rushed her to the emergency vet where they examined her and got her on some IVs and she died in the night.

I have not had cats but had this happen with a dog. We had had him about 8 years after adopting him as an adult so we didn't know his age. I had him out in the yard after his breakfast before leaving for work. He ran out to the tree and 2 minutes later was dead. I was with him as he took his last breath and there was nothing I could do but pet him and talk to him.

So, what I am saying to you is that there was nothing you could have done, even if you were there. Know she had a good home with lots of love until the end.

If you were there she may very well have just gone to a quiet place and passed and you would not have known until you discovered her.

My first cat had been very sick when I was on vacation in Europe but perked up after I got back. I then went to Disney and when I came home she was also ok.
My mom let her out at 6am the day before my sister's wedding on June 22nd 2007.
She didn't come back but we were busy so didn't realize it had been a while.
Then the neighbor came to get my dad because she was passed away in his yard.
She died of old age as she was 18.
She WANTED to do it that way because that's how cats are.
She would not have dropped to the floor in front of us.

Another cat ended up having a "saddle clot" which was very very very traumatic for me.
He was throwing himself around the basement because he was paralyzed in his hind legs.
Of course this happened at 2am and of course he couldn't have just gone quietly.
We took him to the ER vet and they said busting the clot SHOULD work but added that anytime he has done it in his career it hasn't actually worked so we decided that at 15.5 years old and already in failing health for a while we'd put him down.
This was in late 2015 and the memories still haunt me.

I'd say be very thankful that you kitty went how it did and that you don't have a horrific memory of it happening.

Also I think that having 2 other cats around definitely helps in the healing process.

We had a 7yo cat die of some kind of congenital cardiomyopathy. He looked fine, literally until the day he died. That last day, he wasn't acting right, so we took him to the vet. $1000 in tests, etc. later, the vet could do nothing for him. We visited him that afternoon to say our goodbyes--he was so weak, even on oxygen, that he couldn't hold his head up. It was such a shock--he was so young, and a sweet, gentle kitty, very well-loved.

We also had an older cat (13, maybe?) who just went to sleep and didn't wake up. I think it's like with people--their heart just stops, no real warning. It's painful for us, the left behind, but it's not a bad way to go from their perspective.

I'm sorry for your loss.

I had a 6 year old cat who was fine one minute, next minute he literally fell over dead. We have no idea why, some kind of heart issue I'm sure, but we weren't going to pay to find out why. It was a total shock, he showed no signs of anything until he was laying on the floor.

so our DS was in on wed 1-30 and all the cats were fine--we have 3 14 years 10 years and 2 years

our DD comes in thrus only to discover our 14 year had passed and was laying in the living room

of course our DD freaked out and our DS and her decided to call us to find out what we would handle this if we had been home--we just said call the vet --which she came and picked up our beloved Jasmine--her ashes should be coming soon

anyways we called the vet the next day to see what her throughts were--she thought since it happened so fast and with her age it probably was a heart attack--but of course at this point no way of knowing for sure

we feel terrible like we let he down--if we would have been here could we have done something to save/help her

when we got home I just hugged our other 2 cats--they looked at me like where did this come from!!!

thanks
So sorry. It was probably cardiomyopathy. My dad came home after work one day a few years ago to his 3 year old cat who had died. He was perfectly fine that morning before my dad left for work.

thanks

Other than the fact your beloved cat isn't around any more, I don't think you should feel terrible about it. If it was bad enough to kill the cat that quickly, I doubt you'd have even made it to the vet and if you did, chances are the vet would have been giving it its final injection once there.

thanks all for the sympethic posts I really appreciate it

Ive been thinking so much of my jazzy girl I sure miss her

I still have my Ariel and Belle thanks again

I had a cat die suddenly in the next room once. There was nothing I could do. And there's likely nothing you would have been able to do either. Honestly, I'd just be glad she was at home and not off at a kennel somewhere.

:hug:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!