anyone with any knowedge on medicaid

Dznypal

DIS Veteran
Im trying to help out a friend of mine--if nothing else just to calm down

her DH went to have a carotid artery cleaned out --this was oct 30 of last year

he developed a blood clot in his brain--which they were able to brake up but sometime in the middle of night

he had a stoke--at first they thought it was a minor one--but turned out to be much more--he was in the hospital unti 12-18 and then moved to a rehab center and as long as he was making progress he could stay there

he got back some speech not a lot though and hes still paralyzed on the right side

so my friend was told since his progress wasn't what they were hoping so now his in a care facility--and my friend was told to sign him up for Medicaid which she did on Jan 8 but somehow the papers didn't get faxed over not sure who was doing the faxing but Medicaid never got them

so after making several calls my friend found this care facility that would take him with Medicaid pending all the other places she call wants the mediciad work done before he can stay there

so now my friend is all upset cause one person told her he might not qualify and that they could lose everything they have--to pay for his care--also since its income based she was told she has to watch how much she makes--yet she needs to work so she can support herself

so IM trying to find out any info I can that could maybe relief her mind a bit--

they've had tough times with their kids so they don't have much money put away even though the house has been paid for since 1992--they really didn't this to fall on them

its strange cause he went in to have the arterty cleaned out to prevent a stroke and that's what he ended up with--

so anyone with any advice on how medcaid works--she is so afraid of losing the house and any money they have put away

thanks all

Im trying to help out a friend of mine--if nothing else just to calm down

her DH went to have a carotid artery cleaned out --this was oct 30 of last year

he developed a blood clot in his brain--which they were able to brake up but sometime in the middle of night

he had a stoke--at first they thought it was a minor one--but turned out to be much more--he was in the hospital unti 12-18 and then moved to a rehab center and as long as he was making progress he could stay there

he got back some speech not a lot though and hes still paralyzed on the right side

so my friend was told since his progress wasn't what they were hoping so now his in a care facility--and my friend was told to sign him up for Medicaid which she did on Jan 8 but somehow the papers didn't get faxed over not sure who was doing the faxing but Medicaid never got them

so after making several calls my friend found this care facility that would take him with Medicaid pending all the other places she call wants the mediciad work done before he can stay there

so now my friend is all upset cause one person told her he might not qualify and that they could lose everything they have--to pay for his care--also since its income based she was told she has to watch how much she makes--yet she needs to work so she can support herself

so IM trying to find out any info I can that could maybe relief her mind a bit--

they've had tough times with their kids so they don't have much money put away even though the house has been paid for since 1992--they really didn't this to fall on them

its strange cause he went in to have the arterty cleaned out to prevent a stroke and that's what he ended up with--

so anyone with any advice on how medcaid works--she is so afraid of losing the house and any money they have put away

thanks all
So sorry to hear what your friend is going through. Medicaid can vary from state to state. In Louisiana, it can be very hard to get mostly b/c the need is so great. I would ask to talk to the social at the hospital he was at or at whatever place transferred him to the long term care facility. The current facility might have a social worker too.

So sorry to hear what your friend is going through. Medicaid can vary from state to state. In Louisiana, it can be very hard to get mostly b/c the need is so great. I would ask to talk to the social at the hospital he was at or at whatever place transferred him to the long term care facility. The current facility might have a social worker too.

agreed.

i supervised a medicaid eligibility unit and because the rules vary so much state to state (and in some places county to county b/c a particular county may offer more services vs. another) it's best to get advise where the person is. often there are ombudsman or IGAR (information, guidance and referral) staff specifically to help people with the medicaid process.

your friend might also want to start gathering information to initiate a social security disability application for her dh (she can call her local social secuirty office to get information on it).

If she doesn't trust the social worker at the medical facility (if that is the source of the missing paperwork issue), then I would advise her to call her public library and ask for help finding someone to walk her through this. The reference librarians should be able to give her contact information for a local agency that can help her.

FWIW, in *most* cases the well spouse cannot be forced to give up a family home to fund care for a sick spouse, although in some cases there may be a clawback lien placed against the home so that funds can be collected after the second spouse dies. As PP have pointed out, it varies by location, so she REALLY needs knowledgeable local advice, and quickly.

The very most important question is whether or not this gentleman is a Veteran, and more particularly, if he served during a declared war. They qualify for a long-term care that is much less restrictive than Medicaid in terms of asset limitations.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter