Anyone work in an office while non-weight bearing? Good chair recommendation?

Klayfish

DIS Veteran
I'm set to have hip surgery in January. This will be my second surgery on it in 12 months and third overall, so this isn't my first rodeo. After the previous two, I just worked from home. I was non-weight bearing for 3 weeks, so it wasn't a huge deal. I just camped out on a comfy chair in my family room. This time I'll be non-weight bearing for 6 weeks (crutches) with 2 more weeks of partial weight. With things being crazy at the office, it will be very difficult to me to work from home that long. I am likely going to have to go into the office, at least some times. I have the typical office chair on wheels. Thinking it's not the best idea to have a wheeled chair when I'm trying to get up and down on one leg and/or crutches. So I've got permission to buy a chair that will suit my needs. Anyone go through a similar experience and have a good recommendation? It'd either be a chair with no wheels that is all day comfortable in an office environment, or a wheeled chair with locking wheels (my current chair wheels don't lock).

I hope all goes well and this surgery finally returns your hip to full use and motion -- and comfort.

I don't really know about a particular chair. Barring finding a model with locking wheels, maybe you could get by with effectively putting a "parking brick" on your current chair? If you can set it up in a good position, it's comfortable enough and you can swivel it to the side to get in and out from your desk it might work? Best of luck finding what works.

I put a brick behind my rolling chair when I had ankle surgery. (I was also very glad my coach had made me more than a few one-legged squats during training.) My principal did buy me a conductor's chair so I could sit while conducting so I didn't want to ask for a new desk chair on top of that.

Oh, yeah. I can't answer from experience, because I spent my entire ten min-weightlifting* non-weight-bearing weeks in rehab.

*stupid auto-"correct"

Last edited:
Will/can they get you a chair like your one at home that worked for you? What about a wheelchair with a good gel cushion, and maybe a leg rest for the surgery side?

My chair at home is a big fat lounge type chair. Wouldn't really work in an office with my desk, unfortunately. Wheelchair is a great idea, just have to see if I can make it all day comfy and how the height matches up to my desk. I like my current office chair enough, though it is wearing out. Just don't want it to roll as I'm trying to get up. Parking brick could be a possibility if I don't find one with wheel locks.

Are you unable to take disability leave while recovering? Is driving going to be an issue?

Not my style. I plan to work the afternoon of my surgery. Driving won't be a problem. Not "supposed" to drive for at least two weeks, but that's only because they have concern about reaction time if you use just your right leg. I can drive with both feet or one foot (either one).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!