• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

"Anything but..." room request. Have you done this? Were you successful?

karly05

DIS Veteran - "I found the Snipe!"
Contemplating room requests for my POP stay in February (Preferred room). I'd love 70s again, and a new room would be cool (but not necessary), but with the construction, I'm not sure how good my odds are.

The main thing is, I do not want to be in the woodsy thicket on the back side of bldg 1 (1x13-1x36).

I'd rather not call, but may have no choice. Who here has made requests specifying what you don't want, and how did it work out?

I've debated Touring Plans, but I'm not over-particular about what I want - just what I don't want. What kind of notes/options can you put in on a TP room request?

It's Sunday afternoon and I'm overthinking.

I tried this once (sort of), and ended up with exactly what we didn't want. We wondered if someone read the request too quickly, keyed on what we were asking to be "as far away from as possible," and gave us the closest possible room thinking it would make us happy.

I can't know for sure what happened (maybe just supply/pure luck of the draw), but I don't think I'll use that strategy again.

I always try to avoid negative requests as the assigners are super busy and it's very easy to accidentally miss the "not" or "anything but" on there.

Why not simply request the other building in that section?

In terms of the TP requests, you can select a room facing the direction you want, leave the verbiage in the title of the fax they provide when you configure your fax (it's written in assigner-speak) and you can simply say "Thank you" in the body of the fax or say something like "Any room in this building will do." IMHO there's really no reason not to do the fax if you're already a TP member since there is no cost for the service for TP members.

Just request "Building 10/70s." Half the rooms in Building Ten, and 1/6 of the rooms in Building 6, are Preferred [location] Standard [view].

Like others ave said, the one time I asked for a room NOT near something, they gave us the room near it. We stayed at BWV and my only request was NOT looking at the scary clown pool. Well, guess who was staring us down through our room window?

I tried this once (sort of), and ended up with exactly what we didn't want. We wondered if someone read the request too quickly, keyed on what we were asking to be "as far away from as possible," and gave us the closest possible room thinking it would make us happy.

I can't know for sure what happened (maybe just supply/pure luck of the draw), but I don't think I'll use that strategy again.

I always try to avoid negative requests as the assigners are super busy and it's very easy to accidentally miss the "not" or "anything but" on there.

Why not simply request the other building in that section?

In terms of the TP requests, you can select a room facing the direction you want, leave the verbiage in the title of the fax they provide when you configure your fax (it's written in assigner-speak) and you can simply say "Thank you" in the body of the fax or say something like "Any room in this building will do." IMHO there's really no reason not to do the fax if you're already a TP member since there is no cost for the service for TP members.
Yep, I would not use a request to ask for rooms to avoid for these reasons. Too easy for them to misread, drop the "not" from your request, etc. I can see causing more problems than being successful

Thanks, all, for the feedback. And I totally believe you. 2nd trip to POFQ I asked for not ground floor and that's what I got. I thought maybe it was just bad luck, but you all have convinced me otherwise.

The punchline, however, was that I ended up liking ground floor - I thought I would feel "less safe" there, but I didn't. That's why I don't want "the thicket" behind POP bldg 1, it seems like it would feel dark and isolated, but maybe it's not that bad.

Hopefully they get the online checkin request system working properly before my trip and I'll just request 70s first, 60s 2nd, and see what happens.

Thanks, all, for the feedback. And I totally believe you. 2nd trip to POFQ I asked for not ground floor and that's what I got. I thought maybe it was just bad luck, but you all have convinced me otherwise.

The punchline, however, was that I ended up liking ground floor - I thought I would feel "less safe" there, but I didn't. That's why I don't want "the thicket" behind POP bldg 1, it seems like it would feel dark and isolated, but maybe it's not that bad.

Hopefully they get the online checkin request system working properly before my trip and I'll just request 70s first, 60s 2nd, and see what happens.

Or you could just call and add those requests and be done. :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter