Anything new in the way things are handeled since 2016?

LuvOrlando

DIS Veteran
I have not been back since 2016 and I was just wondering if there’s been any new changes or shifts in how things are managed for peeps with painful physical disabilities who walk?

was the DAS uesd back then or was the GAC still in use?

what kinds of help would the person need in line?

DAD introduced in 2015, I think. What may have changed is everything is on the wristband now. No more paper DAS

DAS began in October 2013. Nothing has really changed since it came out other than it is now electronic and placed on Magicband or park pass.
If the person has difficulty walking or standing in line, a wheelchair or ECV (or rollator) is the most appropriate tool to deal with those issues. All attractions are wheelchair accessible to the point of boarding except for the few where guests must be ambulatory (Tomorrowland Transit Authority, Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse, Tom Sawyer Island).
Most are also ECV accessible. DAS is not needed to bring a mobility device in lines/attractions. Because of that, Disney recommends a wheelchair or ECV for mobility related disabilities and does not generally issue DAS for mobility related issues. People have reported NOT being issued DAS in those situations, and that is not likely to change.

If a guest has other needs in addition to mobility that make waiting in the regular line an issue, they can explain their additional needs to the CM at Guest Relations to explain why the mobility device by itself doesn’t meet their needs. But, mobility related issues alone are not a need for DAS.

It is put on your band and very easy to use in general ( other then the scanning devices not working ) we use it in combination with the FP system and we always get to do anything we set out to do that day :) have a good trip !

If the person has difficulty walking or standing in line, a wheelchair or ECV (or rollator) is the most appropriate tool to deal with those issues
For those that have difficulty walking, I agree an ECV of wheelchair is the most appropriate however, there are those that have difficulty with standing, say in a queue, but also have difficulty with sitting for extended periods of time. The response is get a wheelchair or ECV, well, if they can' sit for long periods of time, then these are out and don't give me that they can push an empty wheelchair around the park and sit when they need to. Which back when this was the case for me I did and security would stop me about every 5 minutes to ask why I was pushing an empty wheelchair, not to mention it is very difficult to push a wheelchair when it is completely empty, as it wants to keep doing wheelies and then trying to maneuver around other guests is even more difficult than when someone is in the wheelchair. Now if there is more than one person in the party and the person with the needs is pohysically able to push the other person, that can work. But often they aren't physically capable of it, so that doesn't work.

I am not saying that a wheelchair or ECV isn't ever appropriate, but I am saying that about 20% of people that have issues with standing may not be able to utilize an ECV or Wheelchair and that they need to be accommdated as well, so please let' not just automatically blanket people with standing issues as mobility issues and Disney does need to do a better job at addressing this issue, but I also think those in this circumstance need to be able to find a way to better articulate why and ECV or Wheelchair won't work in their particular case.

Which back when this was the case for me
How long ago is "back when? Things change
but I also think those in this circumstance need to be able to find a way to better articulate why and ECV or Wheelchair won't work in their particular case.
a
A DAS would not address a need to 'sometimes sit, sometimes stand.' Since an unoccupied wheelchair apparently has a kind of its own, a rollator would be the perfect solution.

For those that have difficulty walking, I agree an ECV of wheelchair is the most appropriate however, there are those that have difficulty with standing, say in a queue, but also have difficulty with sitting for extended periods of time. The response is get a wheelchair or ECV, well, if they can' sit for long periods of time, then these are out and don't give me that they can push an empty wheelchair around the park and sit when they need to. Which back when this was the case for me I did and security would stop me about every 5 minutes to ask why I was pushing an empty wheelchair, not to mention it is very difficult to push a wheelchair when it is completely empty, as it wants to keep doing wheelies and then trying to maneuver around other guests is even more difficult than when someone is in the wheelchair. Now if there is more than one person in the party and the person with the needs is pohysically able to push the other person, that can work. But often they aren't physically capable of it, so that doesn't work.

I am not saying that a wheelchair or ECV isn't ever appropriate, but I am saying that about 20% of people that have issues with standing may not be able to utilize an ECV or Wheelchair and that they need to be accommdated as well, so please let' not just automatically blanket people with standing issues as mobility issues and Disney does need to do a better job at addressing this issue, but I also think those in this circumstance need to be able to find a way to better articulate why and ECV or Wheelchair won't work in their particular case.

This is a case where a Rollator would be the preferred solution - it has the combined features of a seat (for when it's really needed) and something to hang on to while walking. Plus, most of them have a nice little storage area under the seat, and a few models are both a Rollator and a "transport chair" (which is a wheelchair with 4 small wheels that is pushed by someone behind the seated user.)

There are wheeled walkers that don't have a seat like a Rollator does, but it seems like Rollators are more popular because you have a seat for when standing becomes an issue, or for when you might want to sit for a period of time (like waiting for fireworks or a parade).

How long ago is "back when? Things change
a
A DAS would not address a need to 'sometimes sit, sometimes stand.' Since an unoccupied wheelchair apparently has a kind of its own, a rollator would be the perfect solution.
Actually it would not have been at the time, my point is, there is not a one sized fits all approach that can ever work.

Actually it would not have been at the time, my point is, there is not a one sized fits all approach that can ever work.

But a DAS doesn't do anything about standing - you still have to stand/sit somewhere while you wait. And the FP queue could be quite long, requiring someone to stand longer than they can tolerate. And then what do you do at the bus stop, or waiting for the tram, ferry, monorail, ADR, CS queue, etc?

But a DAS doesn't do anything about standing - you still have to stand/sit somewhere while you wait. And the FP queue could be quite long, requiring someone to stand longer than they can tolerate. And then what do you do at the bus stop, or waiting for the tram, ferry, monorail, ADR, CS queue, etc?

And don't forget the most epic of all lines! The line for the bathroom! ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!