AP day trips

scoopmorgan

DIS Veteran
I'm moving to Orlando and want an AP so I can go when the mood strikes, but I am wondering if other AP holders have a routine? I was thinking I could go to one park, or even a small section of a park and just explore, but I see everyone planning diligently, and I wonder if I am kidding myself. Do you just show up and enjoy, or do you plan your day trips ahead of time?

Hello! As another local I typically will check a day or so before (day of if impromptu) I’m going to see FP availability to decide which park I’m going to. If I can snag some FPs for things I want I’ll go to that park but otherwise I’ll just pick one and go for a few hours. I enjoy just sitting in the world showcase at EPCOT with a drink and a snack and enjoying the day. The beauty of it is, if you go somewhere and the crowds are crazy, you can just return another day. I do know people that plan a day and that can be just as fun!

Hello! As another local I typically will check a day or so before (day of if impromptu) I’m going to see FP availability to decide which park I’m going to. If I can snag some FPs for things I want I’ll go to that park but otherwise I’ll just pick one and go for a few hours. I enjoy just sitting in the world showcase at EPCOT with a drink and a snack and enjoying the day. The beauty of it is, if you go somewhere and the crowds are crazy, you can just return another day. I do know people that plan a day and that can be just as fun!
Thanks. That helps.

I'm moving to Orlando and want an AP so I can go when the mood strikes,

Wonderful! I wish you all the best with your move!

but I am wondering if other AP holders have a routine? I was thinking I could go to one park, or even a small section of a park and just explore, but I see everyone planning diligently, and I wonder if I am kidding myself. Do you just show up and enjoy, or do you plan your day trips ahead of time?

DW and I are snowbirds and do a mix of planning. For the first few weeks after our arrival I will usually have planned a couple of days a week, one park per day, with 30 day FP+ for our favorite attractions. We usually only stay in the park for a few hours, usually arriving mid morning. We used to be rope droppers but realized that with a little planning we could most of what we enjoy without having to get up before dawn. Though sometimes I will do a solo rope drop to ride FoP. Sometimes we will grab lunch in the park, sometimes just a snack. After we have refreshed ourselves with Disney I usually back off the planning and casually look for FP opportunities a few days ahead. Occasionally we will just decide to take a daily walk "enhanced by Disney" and go to a park and wander around. Then before we head back north I will again plan a 30 day FP+ burst over a couple of days to visit our favorites before leaving for season.

Experiment with a few different styles and I suspect you will quickly discover what works best for you. I also suspect that your style will evolve as time goes by. We also found over the years we were visiting the parks a bit less as we developed our winter life in central Florida.

I live about 90 minutes away and go almost every weekend for a couple of hours of “Disney therapy.” Sometimes with my adult son who also has an AP, sometimes solo. I love my half-day solo trips. And so much can be done last minute/same-day.

For example - Yesterday was Saturday and the weather looked like it was going to be nice. Friday I checked the app, refreshed a couple of times and snagged a Fastpass for Slinky Dog for Sat at 9:40. Whooo! Hollywood Studios it is then.

I got to the park at 9:30, rode SDD, headed over to SWGE and grabbed a snack at Docking Bay 7. While I was sitting and eating my brunch, I found an open spot at Oga’s for 11:45. Score!

I got in the single rider line for Smugglers Run and finally got to be a gunner. So fun. Scored 8,900 points. Spent some time, exploring Batuu, playing on the app, increasing my status in The Resistance, with a break for an adult beverage in the AC at Oga’s. Talked to some nice people from Kentucky and another couple from Yorkshire. Then I played some more on the “datapad” and made my way slowly out of the park, stopping at a couple of shops on my way out. I was back in my car by 1:45. In a much better frame of mind than I had been the day before. 😁

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!