AP & DDE... do I have this right???

01Sweetpea

DIS Veteran
So my family of 5... me, DH, 13, 11 & 11 are going to Disney 11/18 - 11/25... Thanksgiving week. We have decided AGAINST doing the DDP. I ran ALL the costs and it's just not working for us.

Goffy4tink suggested I get and AP & DDE card. So here are the numbers for that, I'm not sure I have it right...

5 - 7 day park hopper passes - $1253.75 (which is what I was going to get)
4 - 7 day park hopper passes & 1 AP - $1472.60

So a difference of $218.85
Add the DDE card $60.00

So I need to save $278.85 to make the AP & DDE card worth it.

I went back thru my menu list, added up all my "TS" meals and one meal at AK and came up with a savings of $150.00

So that leaves $128.85 difference.

So, IF... and this is a BIG IF... there is an AP code for some of the dates for my trip... I know it won't be Thanksgiving day or the Friday after... and it can beat my AAA rate...

Then the AP & DDE combo could be right choice for me.

Does that make sense?

Makes perfect sense. That's what we did last yr and we saved @ 187 on a room at the Poly and I had figured over 200 with DDE (we had alot of TS) plus 1 day parking when we were staying with my sis and she went with us before check in day. Your biggest IF is the room discount, did you check last yrs dates? We checked in the Sunday after Thanksgiving which was also the start of value season and got an AP rate. I know they also had them for early Nov but some blackout dates for Thanksgiving, to get the discount it's only based on your check in date not which days you stay. I do think the DDE card will be blacked out for the holiday tho so you can't use it on Thanksgiving.

Good luck, Calie

Yep, you did it correctly. I'm still going back and forth between the DDE card and the DDP. I already have the AP, and have to renew my DDE card. So, my costs are a bit different than yours. But, you figured it correctly.

The game plan is to go to HDDR on Thanksgiving... maybe the 7:15 show...so I wasn't planning on using the DDE for that meal. However, we were going to AK that day, so I was hoping to use it at either Flame Tree or Tusker House.

I have to go and find last years AP rates for Nov. If I can get an AP rate for 5 nights, and then have to pay rack rate or AAA disc for 2, then I might be OK.

Thanks for all the help!

01Sweetpea said:
So I need to save $278.85 to make the AP & DDE card worth it.
To break even on food alone, you'd have to spend a little less than $1,500.

Don't forget that you can use the DDE for alcoholic beverages also. Don't know if that helps you or not, but 20% is 20%.

JimMIA said:
To break even on food alone, you'd have to spend a little less than $1,500.

Don't forget that you can use the DDE for alcoholic beverages also. Don't know if that helps you or not, but 20% is 20%.

You are so right!!! Of course, I made all my ADRs for Oct yesterday...and I figured my number of meals incorrectly. Thought I was getting 6, but it's really 5. So, one will be OOP, most likely GF Cafe. But, the other mom that I am traveling with wanted to know if alcohol is covered in the DDP. Told her it wasn't but we have my trusty DDE card....20% off wine/drinks will add up over the 6 days we're there!!!

Also, remember that there are some blackout days for the DDE. Thanksgiving Day is one of those. So, you won't be able to use it that day. The other days are Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, Mother's Day and Father's Day. I'm sure there are others, too. Additionally, I read that some were denied use of the DDE during the week of Christmas and New Year's. Since you are going at Thanksgiving, it should only effect you for one day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter