AP discount vs renting points?

Ursula_Fan

Mouseketeer
Hi all,

Am planning on going in Feb 2020. We will be going President's Day weekend, staying the week, and leaving at the end of Princess marathon weekend (Sat 15-Sun 23). I know it'll be a busy time and rooms will go (are going?) quickly.

I have an AP. Am trying to figure out if I should wait until AP discounts are released for Feb 2020, or rent DVC points now. We'd like to get a 2 bedroom villa at AK, BC or BW because grandparents are coming along. As far as I can tell AP discounts might be about 30% but it's a busy time and there's no guarantee I'll get the room I want. I'm also not clear as to whether the AP discounts extend to villa rooms. I know I can get most if not all of the days through a DVC broker but am not sure how much of a better deal that is since the rack rate prices haven't been published yet for Feb 2020.

How would you approach this? Are there considerations I'm missing? TIA!

AP rates usually include some villas, but not all. Those you listed generally are. However, with SWGE opening, there’s no way to know if AP discounts will be consistently offered anymore.

We’ve always used an AP rate to book. I’ve found them to be competitive with renting and feel more comfortable booking directly through Disney with their payment and cancellation policies.

Like @cakebaker , I prefer the peace of mind of booking directly with Disney and having a flexible change and cancellation policy. And I will gladly pay more per night for that privilege. But, flexibility is key when it comes to room discounts. Villas are included, but the 2 bedrooms at those hotels and those dates may or may not have availability under the discount, if/when that discount comes out. Some have been mostly excluded recently, like BLT and GFV.

If your dates are set and you need to have a 2-bedroom at one of those, I would rent points. If you would consider a 2-BR somewhere else (Saratoga often has 2 bedrooms available under promos) or 2 separate rooms, or could do slightly different dates, I would wait for the AP rates.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!