AP financing

Nuclear Monkey

Mouseketeer
Given their current pricing strategy (aka through the nose), why hasn't Disney introduced installment payments for APs for non-Florida residents? Universal does it, so I do not know why Disney would not.

I think it’s done purposely to target guests that might be willing to part with more discretionary income at once and possibly spend more when they come. Compared to standard tickets AP’s are a losing proposition for Disney when it comes to ticket sales alone, but it seems they are more worried about capturing the income from rooms, food, hard ticket events and merchandise.

They could probably sell a ton more APs with an installment plan, even with financing charges.

I think it would just cause a lot more work on Disney's end. They'd have to administer it, collect monthly payments, follow up with people who don't pay, etc. And to get AP holders out of state, they probably decided it's not worth the hassle.

And if Disney did it could you afford the interest? You know a pound of flesh, a pint if blood or your firstborn? Lately Disney has to make a huge profit off of everything.

I think it’s done purposely to target guests that might be willing to part with more discretionary income at once and possibly spend more when they come.

Someone coming from out of state more than once a year is spending a solid amount of money.

If anything they should dump the financing for FL residents for Wdw (and CA residents for DL) and do it solely for out staters, since we generally have to make a vacation out of it.

But they’ve repeatedly NOT done it.

And if Disney did it could you afford the interest? You know a pound of flesh, a pint if blood or your firstborn? Lately Disney has to make a huge profit off of everything.

Fwiw the payment plan is interest-free for the in state people who get this already.

Cedar point has a payment on their pass but you have to pay it all before the season starts. No interest or any other charges. Paying it off at Disney would be a little different since they are open all year but they make it work for Florida passholders. Not sure what would happen if you stop making payments after a long trip or something. Guess they could turn to collections. I don’t know how they handle it with the locals who decide to not finish paying.

I think it would just cause a lot more work on Disney's end. They'd have to administer it, collect monthly payments, follow up with people who don't pay, etc. And to get AP holders out of state, they probably decided it's not worth the hassle.
Why do you suppose Universal can make it work? We find theirs is very affordable

My theory is it's something they don't really want to do at all but do it as one of the benefits they offer to in state residents

Why do you suppose Universal can make it work? We find theirs is very affordable
Universal is and always has been more user friendly. The one thing to remember is that if you use the payment plan with Universal Orlando you do not get the renewal discount. I would rather save 20% by paying in full. I love Disney, but the value is not there in the APs anymore, especially not at DLR.

How many people would make the first payment, use the pass, and then never make another payment? You’d have to make the initial payment higher than the cost of any available ticket or it would be misused and abused from day one.

You bet they will let you make payments... on your own credit card. To high of a risk for Disney, and really they don't need to Disney is the king. Other parks might need to do it as a survival mechanism, but Disney isn't in that position today.

You bet they will let you make payments... on your own credit card.

This.
If you prefer to make payments to an account other than your regular credit cards, open a new credit card account
at the "low introductory rate," charge your WDW AP on it, and make the monthly payments.
Then, after a year, cancel that card.

I was a little surprised in researching Universal to find that they did offer installment payments. I didn't think anyone did that any more. Given that their annual passes are cheaper than one extended stay ticket I would think the potential for abuse/non-payment would be staggering.

How many people would make the first payment, use the pass, and then never make another payment? You’d have to make the initial payment higher than the cost of any available ticket or it would be misused and abused from day one.
That's not a choice that I know of. It's auto-payment only, as far as I know.

You bet they will let you make payments... on your own credit card. To high of a risk for Disney, and really they don't need to Disney is the king. Other parks might need to do it as a survival mechanism, but Disney isn't in that position today.
That's how Universal's works. And if you use their credit card partner, AmEx, you get access to their lounge and a few other benefits too I believe. Pay off the payment each month and no interest.

Universal makes payment plans work, in part, because they automatically renew your AP at the end of the year, so it is a bit like a subscription club.

The Disney Company, DOES offer subscription-style services. They offer movie subscriptions and DVC, which if you think about it- is really just a vacation-subscription service.

So the concept just takes a different form at WDW. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter